• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #6 - The First Invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
icon.JPG

Arrynok Frostglance, the Frost Herald

Arrynok Frostglance was the member of a small community of elven Highborne-s that didn't follow Dath'Remar when he led most of the former royalities into their exile. Instead of sailing East, they headed north, and settled down in an isolated valley of the frozen wastes of Northrend. They didn't have the resources to set up such a source of magic like the Sunwell, so they had to use the ley-lines, what were present there. Learning from the local inhabitants, they managed to survive the endless winter, and lived in peace. They had only one rule to follow: never use demonic powers again. One day Arrynok was sent out on a reconnasaince mission to monitor the lately increasing undead activity, and since they only use the leaking magic of the Ley-lines, Arrynok's camouflage field that made him invisible was sustained by several mages who stayed in the village. One time, this field collapsed, and he was revealed to the undead Scourge, who captured and interrogated him. Arrynok somehow managed to escape, with a stolen heart of a frostwyrm, which proved him unique abilities of frost magic, but his mirth was short-lived. His enchantment wasn't cancelled without a reason: the whole village were lying in smoldering ruins ... with the stench of demonic corruption. Having no other possibilities, Arrynok started wandering in the world, fanatically destroying any demon he comes across in order to make Azeroth safer, and to avenge his brethren ...

Strength:22 (+2,7)
Agility:10 (+1,3)
Intelligence:19 (+2,1)
Attack Range:100 (Melee)
Race:Blood Elf
Roles:Mage, Tank

icons_8142_btn.jpg
Icebreaker (Q)The Frost Herald freezes the ground itself at the target location and causes it to penetrate through enemies around, dealing magic damage to them and marking them with a (stacking) frozen debuff for a few seconds. Marked units take extra damage for each stack, and are knocked up in the air upon reaching 3 stacks.
The Herald can tear apart a much bigger portion of frozen ground, causing the spike to be much bigger when cast on ice, and increasing the damage it does.
icons_10357_pas.jpg
Overfreeze (W)The arctic power that Arrynok Frostglance possesses is unstable, and any time he uses it to cast a spell, frozen energies are released as well. Sometimes this amount is so high that a nova is generated, freezing enemies around the Frost Herald.
Every time Arrynok casts a spell, there's percent set chance that it will emit a frost nova, dealing magic damage to enemies struck by the cold wave, and rooting them in place for a short duration.
While he's standing on ice, the ground itself attracts these energies, doubling the amount of frost released, also doubling the passive chance to summon the nova and increasing its damage.
icons_6565_btn.jpg
Hailstorm (E)The Frost Herald freezes the clouds themselves and the water they contain, causing them to rain down on the ground and on enemies below them.
Upon reaching the ground the orbs explode, dealing magic damage to surrounding enemies and leaving a frozen field behind, that slows the attack and movement speed of those standing on it.
icons_6486_btn.jpg
Remorseless Winter (Ultimate)The Frost Herald creates a mighty snowstorm centering himself, where its effect is the most powerful. The power of the storm charges up his unique armor, making it more resistant to physical attacks, and also makes it impossible for enemies to see through the cloud.
Nearby friendly units are rendered invisible and the Frost Herald has his armor increased. In addition to these effects, all his spells are more effective under such circumstances, causing them to have additional effects.

The bonuses are:
Icebreaker: There's no delay between its cast and its effect.
Overfreeze: Enemies hit by the nova take magic damage equal to the 4% of their maximum health.
Hailstorm: Friendly units standing on the field deal 20% more damage with their attacks.

This is propably my final entry. I might do some further changes, for example to fix bugs, but I'll only update this post.
I'll also add some pictures to the post in the following days.

Attachments

• Hero Contest 6 - Luorax.w3x
    504.2 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
I might use this model for my hero: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/stone-sentinel-205466/

have quite the idea on how the hero will go...

PS: Are we allowed to customize the map via systems like a custom projectile system??? because I will need that for the ultimate I have in mind [let's say it half-works as a projectile blocker so I need every projectile on the map to be made using a custom system, most probably Berb's system]... btw, side-systems aren't judged right? things like a customized attacking system [for ranged units since projectiles will be customized]...

and maybe I need to finish first the summon system I'm currently working on coz I'll need that too...

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Time to share my WIP. I'm still fleshing out exactly what the Ultimate summon will do - leaning towards a lot of passives to make sure it doesn't "feel" like extra abilities for the hero. Anyways, take a look.
... Wow. First of all, weird to see my model (or rather, 'my' idea for my project that jigrael graciously agreed to breathe life into :p) being used elsewhere, but I'm glad someone else can enjoy it.

Two, quite an interesting take on things; I have to admit I figured with her being so "snake-themed", it would be hard to make anything else. But "Death Speaker" is pretty creative and Trollish. I should know.

Three... I dunno. It's not perfect, but the skillset just seems so nice and down-to-earth to me. Simple, effective, and (presumably) powerful. I could see a bit more flavor going into things, or perhaps a bit of that Trollish culture we all know and love.

(one thought is not to use Ghouls, but instead some kind of Undead Troll, or perhaps a Spirit.)

(one question is: are you supposed to have specifically and only Trolls regenerated by her "revive troll" ability? I mean, are you supposed to hire them as mercenaries, or is this made as part of a greater race?)

Four, I'm interesting to see the form of that Ultimate there. I've been needing a "super-snake-goddess-incarnate" version of her. That's not where your going, is it?

- Remember always the two-part core of any hero: Theme and Role. Usually people can nail a Theme pretty well, but it's Role that really trips people up (but makes the difference between good and great). i.e. It's easy to come up with a bunch of abilities for a given theme (Ice Mage, Speaker to the Dead, Space Captain, etc), but making them accentuate and emphasize a given Role is another thing.

~~~

I would love to do this, and I think I could whip up a decent entry rather quickly with a recent great model that got my mind whirring... But my Wc3C computer is down. We'll see how the rest of the month pans out.

Not like I expect you guys to care about my life or anything; but I figured I'd keep the topic going. :p

Level 23
My final entry!! I hope its good enough. :grin: My Ultimate kinda stinks.. but I will change that if I manage to think of another spell (if it is allowed)..

@juno: I'm pretty sure you wanted to turn off those debug texts, didn't you? Or are they part of the map/spells? Didn't check the coding (I'm in a hurry), but I'm pretty sure they ain't supposed to flood the screen :)
EDit: Yeah, forgot about that... debugs removed..

Attachments

• Hero Contest #6 - Juno.w3x
    292.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Level 16
I would love to do this, and I think I could whip up a decent entry rather quickly with a recent great model that got my mind whirring... But my Wc3C computer is down. We'll see how the rest of the month pans out.

The more contestants we have, the more interesting the contest becomes, so good luck :)

---

By the way do we know who the judges are going to be? I think it's about time I figure out how to bribe them... :) (just kidding)

@juno: I'm pretty sure you wanted to turn off those debug texts, didn't you? Or are they part of the map/spells? Didn't check the coding (I'm in a hurry), but I'm pretty sure they ain't supposed to flood the screen :)

Level 10
... Wow. First of all, weird to see my model (or rather, 'my' idea for my project that jigrael graciously agreed to breathe life into :p) being used elsewhere, but I'm glad someone else can enjoy it.

Two, quite an interesting take on things; I have to admit I figured with her being so "snake-themed", it would be hard to make anything else. But "Death Speaker" is pretty creative and Trollish. I should know.

Three... I dunno. It's not perfect, but the skillset just seems so nice and down-to-earth to me. Simple, effective, and (presumably) powerful. I could see a bit more flavor going into things, or perhaps a bit of that Trollish culture we all know and love.

(one thought is not to use Ghouls, but instead some kind of Undead Troll, or perhaps a Spirit.)

(one question is: are you supposed to have specifically and only Trolls regenerated by her "revive troll" ability? I mean, are you supposed to hire them as mercenaries, or is this made as part of a greater race?)

Four, I'm interesting to see the form of that Ultimate there. I've been needing a "super-snake-goddess-incarnate" version of her. That's not where your going, is it?

- Remember always the two-part core of any hero: Theme and Role. Usually people can nail a Theme pretty well, but it's Role that really trips people up (but makes the difference between good and great). i.e. It's easy to come up with a bunch of abilities for a given theme (Ice Mage, Speaker to the Dead, Space Captain, etc), but making them accentuate and emphasize a given Role is another thing.

Sorry if I'm stepping on your toes! The contest rules allowed for any hosted resources (other than spells) to be used in my entry, and she's perfect what I want to do. Hope I'm not stealing your thunder!

Re: the Ghouls - Yes, they could be something else, something more "troll-y" (or more snake-y?)... but I'd need to find the right model to use. I'm not a modeler myself so I'm somewhat at the mercy of what I can find. I do like that I was able to make them synergize with her second ability in that the Ghouls check the rank of Blood Runes in order to drop the appropriate rune.

Honestly though I'm thinking of reworking both of these abilities this week as the Blood Runes autocast ability tends to be buggy.

Re: Revive Troll, as you probably realized this skill is based on Ancestral Spirit and I'm simply overriding the 'Tauren' tag to be 'Troll'. In gameplay, I suppose you'd be able to use it on hired trolls as well as troll units in the orc tech tree... in the RPG I'm making it for you play as a troll faction so you're using it on your own tech tree units.

Re: the Ultimate, currently I'm planning on using the Faceless One model and treating it as some sort of chaos avatar, but something more snake-like would certainly work well also. I worry about using something too Naga-like because the hero isn't associated with the Naga at all. Anyways, the Ultimate is still in development.

Finally, re: Role, I see this hero as a support hero, adept at making a small group of units survive longer and have a greater impact on battle. The summoned adds, healing runes and revive ability all point towards getting the most out of your units, perhaps taking advantage of an opponent who underestimates your small force. Thoughts?

Level 14
I am done with my hero so for the remaining time I will create a bit of an event in which the judges can test it. Here is a screenies from where the legion will spawn.
attachment.php

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_111812_232703_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_111812_232703_01.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 281
Level 30
Hero Contest #6: The First Invasion (My FINAL Entry)

Hero Background
BTNWorldRaiment.jpg
Nature's Raiment
An'da Grovemane

Strength: 15 + 2.0
Agility: 14 + 1.5
Intelligence: 20 + 2.75

Base Damage: 22 - 32
Base Armor: 2
Attack Range: 600
Movement Speed: 270

Story:
When Cenarius chose 3 night elven students to his ways of nature and its emerald druidism, his father; Malorne the Waywatcher chose only one benevolent creature in his wisdom, named An'da Grovemane a bestial wildkin that caught the glimpse of the Ancient entity to learn and harbor much of the nature's body and control its worldly energy in the cause of a catastrophe event that the demigods may have seen for time.

As the rebellious Highbourne and its summoned allies known as the 'Burning Legion' drains the world of Azeroth and cleave it in disarray, the mighty ancients of Kalimdor rush in the defense and retaliate of the world. As of Malorne's Champion, the Nature's Raiment can deal damage or heal allies with the power of nature, hold an enemy in his ground, shift to his true form gaining him the advantage of speed and regeneration, and can summon the very roots of the world to shackle enemy lines. Making the Nature's Raiment an interruptible foe.
Skill Information

Resolute

Nature's Grasp

Skin Walk

World Roots

BTNNaturalDamage.jpgWC3ScrnShot_112012_174350_01.jpg

Surges a bolt of energy that bounces to either heal friendly or damage enemy targets.
BTNNature'sGrasp.jpgWC3ScrnShot_112012_174420_02.jpg

Calls forth the natural energies of the land. Reducing movement and attack speed. As well as damage reduction.
BTNOwlBear.pngWC3ScrnShot_112012_174450_03.jpg

Transforms the Nature's Raiment into its true form increasing movement speed, mana regeneration, and attack type. (Level 3: has additional ability Frenzy that increases attack speed)
BTNWorldRoots.jpgWC3ScrnShot_112012_174543_05.jpgWC3ScrnShot_112012_174530_04.jpg

Summons the roots of the world in a targeted area, causing enemy organic and mechanical ground units to deal magic damage and dramatically reduces attack and movement speed.
credits:
-Half of the AoS map tutorial by Fulla
-Furion staff by jatter2
-BetA furion model by Dmitry Rommel
-Icons by Blizzard Entertainment

Attachments

• HC6-TFI.w3x
    515.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Level 14
Optional things won't be judged. However for example making a support hero and not giving it a test enviroment to show that exact role seems like a loss. It would be much more preferable to let a judge test the heroes in a competitive area rather than an empty space, if anyone decides to judge it anyway .

Level 10
Updated WIP:

Troll Death Speaker - AGI (summoner/healer)
Preview:

attachment.php

Backstory:
These dark priestesses have come forth from the shadowy jungle cities of the trolls to join in the fight against the Burning Legion. Masters of life and death, the Death Speakers straddle the boundary between this world and the next.

While some frown upon their use of necromancy, the Death Speakers know that the time for squeamishness is past. Whether drawing strength from the enemies they slay or raising fallen allies outright from the dead, they employ any means necessary in order to ensure their people's survival.

Still, rumors abound that the priestesses are not all they seem, and that some dark bargain has been struck in order to grant them their uncanny powers...

Abilities:

BTNTrollBatRider.png

Summon Bats
The Death Speaker summons 2 Bat Minions to aid her for 60 seconds.
If you've learned Blood Runes, Bats have a chance to drop healing runes when they die.
Level 1 - Summons 2 Voodoo Bats with 200 HP / 11-12 damage.
Level 2 - Summons 2 Shadow Bats with 300 HP / 16-17 damage / Evasion.
Level 3 - Summons 2 Killer Bats with 400 HP / 21-22 damage / Evasion / Rend attack.

bloodlust.gif

Blood Runes - autocast
Curses a target enemy with Blood Runes, reducing its movement and attack speeds by 25%
and causing it to take damage over time.
If the target dies while under the effect of Blood Runes, it will drop a rune that heals nearby friendly units.
Level 1 - Deals 150 damage over 30 seconds. Runes heal 75 damage.
Level 2 - Deals 300 damage over 30 seconds. Runes heal 150 damage.
Level 3 - Deals 450 damage over 30 seconds. Runes heal 225 damage.

BTNForestTrollShadowPriest.png

Revive Troll - no target
Raises a nearby troll corpse from the dead.
Level 1 - Troll revives with 50% of its hit points. 30 second cooldown.
Level 2 - Troll revives with 80% of its hit points. 25 second cooldown.
Level 3 - Troll revives with 100% of its hit points. 20 second cooldown.

sobimask.gif

Ultimate: Sacrifice
Invokes the powers of life and death. Using this spell kills the Death Speaker instantly,
but summons a brutally powerful creature to fight her enemies. Lasts 30 seconds.

Credits:

Hero model by Tarrasque
Hero icon by CRAZYRUSSIAN
Bat model by GreyArchon

Level 35
Heck - Want to waste time anyway and got a splendid idea - I will likely post my WIP slightly before posting my final as to not spoil it. Got about 1/7 of what I wanted to do today, and should make it all in time given that my current problem will solve itself and the following process goes as easy as I hope. (Hence it never will be) :thumbs_up:

On another note: Pharaoh_ please check up upon that writing contest :wink:

oh noes... Seems like I cannot finish on time... I'm still working on completing the hero idea... I'd still try to post a WIP and final entry if time permits... :)

about the terrain thingy, hmmmm... well, there's no terrain on the criteria...

as for gameplay, I think it's good to make sure that you made the right gameplay that will bring out the highlights of your hero... XD...

Level 29
Ok now this is my FINAL ENTRY:
I'm too lazy to make a full description here so I made a video and just open the map :p...

Icons:
BTNFrostBolt By -BerZeKeR-
BTNGlacierBlades By Blizzard Entertainment
BTNFrozenDeath By Sansui
BTNHeroArchMaiden By Elenai
BTNstormblast By ~Void~

Models:
SubZeroSword_ByEpsilon By epsilon
Archmaiden By Elenai

Attachments

• HC #6.w3x
    384.7 KB · Views: 206
Level 14
Nice one mckill2009, perhaps you should replace the 'parasite' overhead effect of your second spell with something more fitting to frost spells. And the ult seems a bit messy to me. Too many effects to actually see what's going on on the field.

This is my entry, the Shadow Warrior. Kind of a prequel to the Demonhunter since demons were unheard of by the night elves until the first invasion.
WC3HeroContest6_A.jpgWC3HeroContest6_B.jpgWC3HeroContest6_C.jpg

Edit: Fixed some tooltips. Thanks guys for pointing them out.

Attachments

• (3)HeroContest6.w3x
    975.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Level 14
This is my entry, the Shadow Warrior. Kind of a prequel to the Demonhunter since demons were unheard of by the night elves until the first invasion.

I think that the synergy of your spells is missing. You give the hero a potential aoe banish spell but no secondary spell that does magic damage , unless the blink-shockwave is the main damage sourse or the first spell is low cooldown and easily spammed.

Level 23
Just did some changes and stuff..

Oh Yeah, forgot to credit..
Credits:
Suselishe - Mobile Ancient of life (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...576/?prev=search=mobile%20ancient&d=list&r=20)
Hexus - Flower Dryad Model (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...19430/?prev=search=flower%20dryad&d=list&r=20)
Flower Dryad Missile (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...20285/?prev=search=flower%20dryad&d=list&r=20)

Hmmm... maybe add the amount of added damage on the tooltip of the third skill... then on the first skill, you used uncorporeal first, then ethereal on the next lines... I think it will be much better to decide on a single term for that...

I can't believe i missed that uncorporeal thing. Gonna fix it.

Lordkoon said:
You give the hero a potential aoe banish spell but no secondary spell that does magic damage , unless the blink-shockwave is the main damage sourse or the first spell is low cooldown and easily spammed.

Your city is under attack by the Burning Legion! Knowing the story of the Burning Legion and the abilities of its high grade commanders, create a hero that will help with the defenses of your city!
It says help not do it all, once they are ethereal they become the Druid of the Talons' and Chimeras' problem.

Add the damage and stun duration to the 2nd spell tooltip too... :)

I clearly SEE two damaging spells there which will both benefit from ethereal I think...

if something was a bit-off with the ethereal thing, I'd say it was the third... the ethereal thingy will decrease the potency of his third since the third's effects are bonus damage and mana regain upon hit and getting hit...

Add the damage and stun duration to the 2nd spell tooltip too... :)

I clearly SEE two damaging spells there which will both benefit from ethereal I think...

if something was a bit-off with the ethereal thing, I'd say it was the third... the ethereal thingy will decrease the potency of his third since the third's effects are bonus damage and mana regain upon hit and getting hit...

Its only a chance of turning them ethereal, so it doesn't effect it too much. Plus the mana not gained from them being unable to attack you kinda balances it out so that the hero isn't activating Lawn-Mower mode with his Blade of Darkness ability.

Level 14
It says help not do it all, once they are ethereal they become the Druid of the Talons' and Chimeras' problem.

Yes but look at the judging criteria of Synergy :How well do the abilities work with each other? Not with other units or enviroment.

@Adiktuz Yes two spells would benefit from it if firstly the Blade of Darkness has low enough cooldown to be used again shortly after using it the first time to turn a unit ethereal, secondly the blink-shockwave kinda looses its potential when used to escape because the wave would not likely hit enemies if you are runing from them. And yes the third spell suffers when the ethereal effect of the blades activate.

Level 29
Nice one mckill2009, perhaps you should replace the 'parasite' overhead effect of your second spell with something more fitting to frost spells. And the ult seems a bit messy to me. Too many effects to actually see what's going on on the field.
I think you mean the passive(3rd) spell, well I't a virus ability so I think it's fitting, anyway it can easily be changed in the object editor...

About the last, the only big effect there is the water blast and the birth of the elementals, the user can change it also coz it's configurable...thanks fr the tip though :)...

I would really suggest trying to find a way to make them synergistic while maintaining balance... because right now, you're making them a bit antagonistic to balance things out... it's not a bad approach but balancing while maintaining synergy is a better choice, assuming you can pull it off...

@mckill - it's configurable, but please remember that this is a contest in which case, the user is none other than YOU... so make sure you configure it the way that you want to coz that is what will be judged...

configurability is a part of a good code, but make sure you use what you think is the "best" settings to pull off a good aesthetic too... after all this is a Hero contest, not a coding contest... :)

Level 4
Final entry!

My Final Entry, let me know if u found a bug :)
Ancient of Stone Model: AncientOfStone_Hammer by Lee(Korean) [kuegukechu]
Stone Anger Icon: BTNMudGolem by Marcos DAB

UPDATE:
-Rescale Stone Anger Bonus HP to 550, Bonus dmg to 25 and Bonus armor to 5.
-Fix some abilities tooltips.

Attachments

• Hero Contest #6;Ancient of Stone.w3x
    119.3 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.