• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contests: The Drums in the Dungeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Tunnel Buster

I like it. I really like what you've done with the crosshair, and the terrain fits. I won't rant about the arrow keys, but here are some other points:
- Add an explosion/muzzle flash at the end of the guns. The lighting looks good, but that's only half of the effect.
- Attack/damage indicator. I saw you posted a thread about this a while back about the fade filter not working, so why don't you just spawn a unit the same way you keep the pistols centered?
- Some sort of hit indicator; I sometimes wasn't sure that I hit the targets.

I know you're quite far into development, but have you considered using click/selection for shooting? It's been done in many maps successfully; you'll just have to balance unit speed to adjust the difficulty. Otherwise, perhaps the ability to turn at 45 degree angles?

Level 21
@Tickles definitively your stile and I like it :)
With better models quality this can become nice map.
Thanks :smile: And yeah, I do wish I found better quality models that fit the theme.
- Add an explosion/muzzle flash at the end of the guns. The lighting looks good, but that's only half of the effect.
I tried so many different methods, but they all turned to poop due to vertical aiming. I'll have to request a custom model be made. Hopefully I'll come up with something in the meantime.
- Attack/damage indicator. I saw you posted a thread about this a while back about the fade filter not working, so why don't you just spawn a unit the same way you keep the pistols centered?
Great idea :thumbs_up:
- Some sort of hit indicator; I sometimes wasn't sure that I hit the targets.
Working on it. Only the jellyfish has one that works the way it's supposed to at the moment.
I know you're quite far into development, but have you considered using click/selection for shooting? It's been done in many maps successfully; you'll just have to balance unit speed to adjust the difficulty. Otherwise, perhaps the ability to turn at 45 degree angles?
Tried click-targeting, but it just doesn't work with the way everything else is set up and is why I had to resort to arrow keys. I'd have to disable letterbox mode, and unit selection/deselection has a massive delay which seems to be unavoidable (asked about it in the help section for a previous map). I was thinking of adding in 90 degree turns at least, but I'll see how 45 works. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Smooth, bro.
Pistols: just make so particles via Magos' editor and make a new animation for them, or ask someone else to
Click targeting: instead of using
  • Events
    • Game - Player 1 Selects a Unit
  • Actions
    • Selection - Clear selection for Player 1
rather use
  • Events
    • Time - Every 0.03 seconds
  • Actions
I am using it in my map, and by the way, I finished movement with arrow keys in my map and started working on F-keys.
Really like your map, looking forward for more updates from you :D

Again, btw, I didn't copy controls from Aegaeus, arrow keys are from one of movement systems here on hive (I made them in my map, that system just gave me the idea), and idea for F-keys is actually from Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm games :D

Level 21
Click targeting: instead of using
  • Events
    • Game - Player 1 Selects a Unit
  • Actions
rather use
  • Events
    • Time - Every 0.03 seconds
  • Actions
Too bad I didn't think of that. I'm just sticking with arrow keys. Nice idea, although I think baassee is right. Does it have to run that often?
Again, btw, I didn't copy controls from Aegaeus, arrow keys are from one of movement systems here on hive (I made them in my map, that system just gave me the idea), and idea for F-keys is actually from Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm games :D
I figured someone else has used those controls before :xxd: Kind of hard to pass up on how useful they are. I'm definitely curious to see how they're used in your map. I might also check out those Naruto ones.
Got same issues as arrow keys afaik with the delay.
Everyone seems to point out delays with arrow keys, but I never notice it :eekani: Maybe I'm just used to it? Or I get milliseconds of lag which masks the delay, because my computer is kind of old.

Level 21
I am thinking does to stop my current project Dungeon of the Chill.. Etc or to start new xD. Based something like cars in dungeong looking how to get a hell out here xD. Someting like many enemies are chasing u u are doings some napalm nitro things. What say u?
What would cars be doing in a dungeon? :eekani: I like the fighting style of your current map, but the WoW rips and ghouls are kind of excessive. Grammar made it hard to understand, too. If you're looking to start over, maybe you could use the same fighting styles in a new theme like Sunken Ruins, a sewer, etc.
YES you need more muzzel flashs!
I'm starting to think your name isn't a coincidence :xxd:

Level 23
Mandatory Screenshot

UG1.jpg

Level 25
Nice, Kino. Good one, PROXY. Your terrain is kinda like what I thought to make... Nevermind, I will change mine :D

Q: If the main character is a Warmage who uses blue mana and blue crystals to do everything, and enemies are frost undead, and the atmosphere is kinda gray-blue, is that kinda too much blue?

No.

You just need to focus even more on the blue, and make sure that the different blues are easily distinguishable from each other.

Br0

Br0

Level 4
Well, I am jumping into the contest :thumbs_up:

Here is a spoiler of what I am doing.

Just a question.. will anyone bother to check the maps out for anything other then terrain?

EDIT: My entry has been updated, and now is open for anyone that wants to look at it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 208
  • SilverBeta.w3x
    435.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=gunxdd

This is my last wip. I have not started third part of map. In this I have been fixing bug, do balancing, cleaning leaks, added all phases for second boss (3), deleted spammed doodads to low lag. I will add two new spells they are allready done but I was lazy to import them.

I enjoyed it. Looks nice and simple. But it will look more awesome if you could add some more terrain there, just increase areas before boss fights and enchant them with random ice explosions, terrain deformations, enemy ambushes, hidden areas/passages and so on... (You will improve quality, increase play time and still keep that simple effect without messing up with many classes and complex systems).

Kobas thx for fast check xD. Yep i know to boss fight comes somehow really fast I am thinking about adding aditional area before start and I totaly need some traps and effects, to make in more sexy xD. About third area. It starts with this simple chirch but there should be just begining, after that main boss will teleport u to lower level of dungeo in some prison then u come back fight with him and again go to last 4. area what is sometthing like big hall or something. Where will be final battle.

EDIT: Btw is my map to hard to be finished.
And part after sewcond boss is nt done

Level 25
-wip map-

Great terrain overall, just fix this part with the stacking archways blocking player view (attached screenie).

My hero was paused at the portal after defeating the generator boss - I'm assuming that's how far the WIP went.

The map being revealed, that selection of items at the start, and having all the spells at the start, are those all as part of testing?

Attachments

• sight blockiong.png
    sight blockiong.png
    751.2 KB · Views: 149
@rulerofiron99

First of all thx for comenting.Now Answer:
Thx for sharing thinking about archways. I will remoe ve them the, maybe problewmm will be gate becose m,aybe will sux if stay alone. So maybe will remove arways in the middle.
Items at start are just for testing, because item drop sistem is not finished yet.
And about spells: at start u will have 4 spells: Q,W and R, and D, ghost walk(E) will unlock at first boss and some kind of air knocback at second boss, and after u slay second boss will get final spells (simple charge).
Once more thx for commenting.

First wip from me. It has: movement, attack combos and abilities. It doesn't have: collision or damage triggers, nor anything else.

Short control manual:
Up - walk
Up x2 - run
Down - walk backwards
Down x2 - rotate 180 degrees
Left/Right - rotate
F1 - attack combo (fists)
F1 (while holing up) - attack combo (spear)
F1 (while holding down) - attack combo (sword)
F2 - Bolt (Power Bolt when channeling)
F3 - Defend (Slow Time when channeling)
F4 - Channel
NOTE: The creeps should only be used for testing Slow Time!

In next WIP:
F1 (while channeling) - Slam (area around hero damage)
F4 (while channeling) - Morph (model and moveset change)

Attachments

• MMCD.w3x
    5.8 MB · Views: 92
Level 25
First wip from me.

Looks good. Some issues:
  • If you attempt to run forward or back while still doing the opposite, the command doesn't go through and the unit stops. You should set a boolean on press/release and do movement based on that boolean.
  • Animation stops after each action; you should queue stand animation.
  • Reverse doesn't always work.

Suggestions:
  • Ranged attack should target a targeted unit, which you should be able to cycle through using another ability. Then mark it with a floating text or something. With arrow key controls, aiming will be extremely difficult. The dilemma is either you set turn rate to high and aiming suffers, or you set turn rate to low and movement suffers.
  • Multiple camera modes. Perhaps even a top-down view where the movement controls go along the x/y axis instead of rotate+forward.
  • Jump ability :D

Thanks for feedback guys, rep from me :D
Answers fro issues:
Movement speed - yes, I will adjust movement and animations speed, thanks hammer :D
Movement - I am quite aware of that, and I want it that way, because it will be more realistic that way: when 20 enemies swarm you, and you try to go forward and backwards, you will just stumble in place :3
Animation - thanks, mate :D
Reverse - idk, it always works for me o_O
Answers for suggestions:
Ranged attack targeting - the map will feature a number of interactable objects (like traps, levers, explosive barrels and stuff), and they aren't exactly pointed out, so targeting them would kinda ruin the idea of making player think a little.
Camera - I am making an interior-only terrain which requires ceiling, so I had problems adjusting the camera so it can see both the floor and the ceiling, and can't see far behind the character.
Jump - I am making Morph (F4 + F4) ability which will turn you into a tiger made of mana. Among other things, he will run by pressing Up once, and jump when pressing Up twice. There will also be some map parts that will require jumping.

I checked it out. It's nice, but nothing too special. Here are my suggestions:
-Change the camera, it's way too zoomed out.
-Since you don't have many abilities, you should stuff them with eye-candy. Don't overkill them, but give them some nice custom-model effects.
-I also suggest making manual attack. Instead of normal auto-attack, trigger an ability which will deal frontal damage.
-Obviously, terrain.

Thanks, Kingz :D

@rulerofiron99: bro, I get extremely bored in school, so I made a notebook with ideas and plans for this contest, so I have everything planned; the hard part is making the systems and getting them to work together, and the easy part is terraining and other :D

EDIT: New wip from me. Changed attack combos. Added new controls (F4+F1 - Slam and F4 + F4 - Morph). Added morphed mode with changed moves. Use ESC to spawn creeps in center of the map. I still need to make Bolt collision system and damage triggers.

EDIT2: hmm, no feedback... it seems that it is time for a new version...

Attachments

• MMCD.w3x
    5.8 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.