• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #10 - Custom Models/Skins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
So i still got a week left, nice. I just hope I'll pull my shit together and start working for this :p

Pull, start ^)

Oh, that blue glow is something all standard Hero Icons have, not sure about neutral heroes, so I though it would make her look more powerful compared to other icons. Oh well, life's a bitch :grin:

And I keep forgeting that palm-thumb extension, damn.

Great work ^^

Level 31
My final entry. Unfortunately with little time to work.

Remembering the HWS has low quality preview icons.

False. The blp files have a low quality. If you post them in Png it will look good.

Everyone that is telling ''in game it looks better'' are totally lying because if you check your blp version in Button Manager it looks the same as on the hive.

Anyways, That reduced quality is very hard to tell when you are not the creator of the icon.

False. The blp files have a low quality. If you post them in Png it will look good.

Everyone that is telling ''in game it looks better'' are totally lying because if you check your blp version in Button Manager it looks the same as on the hive.

Anyways, That reduced quality is very hard to tell when you are not the creator of the icon.

These icons are in BLP because are the linked images...
If you did not realize just click on them...

Level 30
Rushing to hospital, sry, BLP files tomorow whean i get back, sry.
186519-albums3700-picture59756.png

kola said:

Actually hive has some problems with published blp icons, some quality is lost, but not critical.

I don't get you, people. I am pretty sure 100% of Hive's previews are either JPG or GIF format. Naturally, JPG has lower quality boundaries, and GIF is for avatars, afaik.
BLP quality can be adjusted when you're converting the original file. Atleast if you're using more than one software to get the final result.

Level 31
I don't get you, people. I am pretty sure 100% of Hive's previews are either JPG or GIF format. Naturally, JPG has lower quality boundaries, and GIF is for avatars, afaik.
BLP quality can be adjusted when you're converting the original file. Atleast if you're using more than one software to get the final result.

Well, before posting an icon, you convert it to BLP right? So on the hive we see the BLP file. And BLP files have a lowered quality. that's all.

And yes jolly, the only thing I noticed about the hive is the color red not showing up correctly in blp files.

Well, before posting an icon, you convert it to BLP right? So on the hive we see the BLP file. And BLP files have a lowered quality. that's all.

And yes jolly, the only thing I noticed about the hive is the color red not showing up correctly in blp files.
Did you miss what I said about that?
Let's say you're using BLPLab to convert the original file to BLP. You can choose the compression rate, by %. I always used 85%.
Thus, saying BLP has "lower quality" is false. It depends on the actual settings or software you are using (or on the original image itself).

Here's my final entry:

models_10674_screenshot_tnb.jpg

Portrait:
icons_15463_btn.jpg
icons_15463_disbtn.jpg

Abilities:

icons_15464_btn.jpg
icons_15464_disbtn.jpg

Drink Ale
The Dwarf Monk drinks a cup of fresh dwarven ale, restoring an amount of health + mana and giving increased attack speed for an amount of time

icons_15465_pas.jpg
icons_15465_dispas.jpg

Enchanted Axe
The dwarf monk enchants his axe with holy power, increasing his attack damage.

icons_15466_btn.jpg
icons_15466_disbtn.jpg

Heavy Strike
The dwarf monk heavily strikes with his mace a target enemy, dealing massive damage and making the unit bleed for a period of time.

Ultimate:
icons_15488_btn.jpg
icons_15488_disbtn.jpg

Holy Call
The dwarf monk calls an angel that heals neabry friendly units(including caster)for an amount of time.

209577-albums5234-picture59892.jpg

Last edited:
Level 31
Did you miss what I said about that?
Let's say you're using BLPLab to convert the original file to BLP. You can choose the compression rate, by %. I always used 85%.
Thus, saying BLP has "lower quality" is false. It depends on the actual settings or software you are using (or on the original image itself).

I use button manager which convert it automaticly

Level 30
Button Manager won't reduce quality, it shrunkens the icons which makes them loose smaller details, low opacity shadows/light, and color morphs. If you don't believe me, paint 1 pixel of blue next to red, repeat several times, and see what color it displays in BM. My icons never lost anything, and I use BM for a long time.

Where's the poll? T_T

Button Manager won't reduce quality, it shrunkens the icons which makes them loose smaller details, low opacity shadows/light, and color morphs. If you don't believe me, paint 1 pixel of blue next to red, repeat several times, and see what color it displays in BM. My icons never lost anything, and I use BM for a long time.

Where's the poll? T_T
It shrinks them? How so? I only know of the option to resize the original image, shouldn't it be 64x64 big. What you describe never happened to me.

Ask Pharaoh_ to close this thread, and since you are pretty much the icon mod now, you can create the poll yourself.
Mind the Frozen Arena event though, I don't know how that influences polls.

I felt that dose of sarcasm, but nevermind, I can't, I'm in hospital until 4th of August.

The poll shouldn't be affected by LE, as none of our three judges is participating in it.
What are you talking about? Even though resource mods can mod all sections, they specify in their respective sections. thus, you are the icon mod now.
and you should know me, atleast to this degree, that there was no sarcasm in my post. I have absolutely no bad or harsh feelings regarding you as a person and user/mod. -.-

Level 6
^I think thats the latest version(s) of his icons, but he wasn't finnished though, atleast he wasn't finnished with the Hatred icon, but he's gone now and wont be back until 10th of august so i guess that will be his entry yeah, but maybe you should use the old version of his LightningStrike which wasn't so pixelated, idk...difficult when you can't talk to him about it, maybe choose the one you would give best rating? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.