• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #10 - Custom Models/Skins

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

icon.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
0.png

160036-albums4747-picture59738.png

Custom Models/Skins
The contestants are to create 1 unit icon and 4 ability icons that fit the chosen custom resource.

To avoid any fuss, ask the creator of your chosen custom resource for his/her permission. The submission rules apply.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Active and disabled versions of all icons are required.
  • No plain screenshots (or shallowly modified) icons are permitted.
  • The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.
  • Blizzard icon naming conventions must be followed: BTNAttack*.blp etc.
  • Works in progress (WIPs) of the icons are encouraged as they keep the contest active.
  • The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete. (.blp files only!)
  • An in-game screenshot must be included with all submissions.
  • Judges may not participate in the contest.
  • No irrelevant, non-constructive or off-topic posts will be tolerated in this thread.
  • It is strongly advised that you keep your original large image files to prove your authenticity if the need arise to do so.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Blizzard Feeling
Icons should be executed in such a manner that they can be implemented in a Warcraft map, compliment other Blizzard icons and replace the existing ones.10%

Theme
Your icons should represent the aspects of your chosen theme. Variety between your icons is an important condition.20%

Creativity
The icons' originality and uniqueness are vitally important.35%

Technical Note
The quality of the icons is the most important thing (throwing a lot of elements in a 64x64 image will usually look crowded)35%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 25.06.2012 and conclude on 28.07.2012, 23:59, GMT

Last edited by a moderator:
"The contestants are to create 1 unit icon and 4 ability icons that fit the chosen custom resource"

Four ability icons? Only because ability icons are four and unit icon is one, this contest is going away from theme "Models and Skins" and becoming more like "Abilities for a custom Model/Skin and it's portrait". Anyway... People may create random ability icons, because many ability icons can fit the same model/skin. This will be a problem as contestants will have to think of abilities for Custom Unit/Skin. I hope people will try to keep ability idea reasonable enough to fit the unit/skin. So remember: ability icons must have some conection between model/skin, or your points will go down.

Contastants may find it hard to draw a portrait of a Model/Skin, because it is harder than making ability icons. Feaces will lose proportions. Also, people will try to avoid complicate perspective and they will draw portraits with a front view. This is not creative enough. I dont sugest editing screnshots still, even if it will make your final work to looks like freehand.

In general:
This contest is not simple and many people will quit or not even join, so number of entries/contestants may be limited.

Four ability icons? Only because ability icons are four and unit icon is one, this contest is going away from theme "Models and Skins" and becoming more like "Abilities for a custom Model/Skin and it's portrait". Anyway... People may create random ability icons, because many ability icons can fit the same model/skin. This will be a problem as contestants will have to think of abilities for Custom Unit/Skin.
This theme, the specifications included, has been chosen and formed by the potent contestants. They don't "have to think of abilities" if they don't want to. It's clearly stated that they can rely on existing abilities in that case.

Contastants may find it hard to draw a portrait of a Model/Skin, because it is harder than making ability icons.
The above statment applies here aswell.
Also, that's the whole idea behind it: people showing their skills and offer them possible improvement. It's one reason contests exist in the first place.

This contest is not simple and many people will quit or not even join, so number of entries/contestants may be limited.
I have tried my best to notify everyone I felt would be interested in this competition, but have only gotten reactions of a small portion of them.
And mind you, they stated that they wanted these theme specifications.

Additionally, I have asked enjoy for creating a site notification, so that this might reach all those I seem to have missed with my VM's.

Level 14
-Subs-
Good luck everyone!

@Army-of-Pandas, The disorted/pixelated part gives the wavy feeling,or somewhat like a banshee's wail or something,well that's what I think -grendel was purposely planning to.

Level 30
67chrome's Sentinel Watcher SkinFirst WIP Preview
skins_4302_screenshot_tnb.jpg
186519-albums3700-picture59184.jpg

Got his permission, and made sketches of three icons. I'm thinking through for what to pick as the passive icon.

Twilight Blast, Spectral Sight, ?, Shooting Stars.
Storm Bolt/Absorb, Blink/True Sight, ?, Starfall/Fan of Knives.

I know that the last icon sucks with background, but as I said, it's a sketch.

Level 30

Got his permission, and made sketches of three icons. I'm thinking through for what to pick as the passive icon.

Sexy, good as a sketch

Level 11

Those are really nice icons, i like the colors :D But IMO,her face in the second icon is a bit flat
And I also agree with I3lackDeath's post

Level 49
models_10442_screenshot_tnb.jpg

icons_15434_btn.jpg

icons_15437_pas.jpg
- The Wing Protection - Skill that gives ability to absorb damage, when damage comes from back. Blocks spells, that comes from back.
icons_15436_btn.jpg
- Freedom - Hero leaves fightplace, reveals 2500 distance around the place and after 4 seconds strikes from sky, makes AOE damage and stun. Durning fly restores life.
icons_15435_btn.jpg
- Breaking Smash - Hero attacks an enemy, breaks his defense and makes great damage.
icons_15438_btn.jpg
- Eagle Spirit - For all allies in AoE increases attack speed, move speed. Also gives critical chance. Something like that.

models_10442_screenshot_tnb.jpg

icons_15434_btn.jpg

icons_15437_pas.jpg
- The Wing Protection - Skill that gives ability to absorb damage, when damage comes from back. Blocks spells, that comes from back.
icons_15436_btn.jpg
- Freedom - Hero leaves fightplace, reveals 2500 distance around the place and after 4 seconds strikes from sky, makes AOE damage and stun. Durning fly restores life.
icons_15435_btn.jpg
- Breaking Smash - Hero attacks an enemy, breaks his defense and makes great damage.
icons_15438_btn.jpg
- Eagle Spirit - For all allies in AoE increases attack speed, move speed. Also gives critical chance. Something like that.

All of them looks great! Gj! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.