• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 23 - 3 Tier Building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. This is approximatively the tier 1 (I need to fix the normals so the stairs are invisible and the bird won't look exactly the same) ; it goes on tier 2 when the left door opens and triggers a mecanism for the stairs ; and then it goes on tier 3 with a tower rising on the right (dunno exactly how but electricity will be involved ^^).

It won't be a training building - more a destructable - but I guess it still enters in the contest's theme.
By the way, do you know where trained units appear when they are trained by a building with a "hole" in its center (like MassiveMaster's WIP)? Are they popping outside or at the center? Just wondering ^^.

Level 31
I strongly encourage modelers to have the birth and death animations conform to one of the four standard races. This will make your model useful for racial projects.

Psych-gifs-psych-14850044-300-169.gif

Oh god you're a funny one aren't you.

Level 18
1st Preview...

Here's my WIP...
I'm not sure if it violate the theme '3-Tier Building'...

Concept :
Basically it's a settlement type structure, beginning with Tier 1 (Village). It then proceed to Tier 2 (Town), there is two version in the picture and only one will be used in the end. Finally finishes to Tier 3 (City), note that the Tier 3 Stone Wall is missing Light/Guard Towers...

Additional prop will be included, however I need to know if this model following the contest's theme... If it's not, then I'll go to Plan B...

Attachments

• WIP_3TierBuilding.png
    WIP_3TierBuilding.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 270
Level 2
Ya I agree with PROXY. Though I think city should maybe have a laboratory since a city is advanced, I don't really know since I don't model, but that's just my opinion :p

Level 25
@eubz It reminds me of Iron Curtain from Red Alert 2. :) but nvm

I don't think I will be able to finish that tower I was working on. So I decided to do something newer and quicker. This time it is a Human Garrison. It is more Warcraft 3 styled and I will be able to finish it before the deadline.

I am almost done with choosing the textures and adding details. I hope that I will have time this weekend to animate it.

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    557.3 KB · Views: 326
Level 51
So I got a question. Does it still count as a building if the building itself is on a swimming turtle?

Edit: Anyway, being a swimming turtle or not, I will base it on the same concept anyway. Here is a WIP of one of the statues of the 3rd tier.

At first I tried it with ingame textures, but the resolution of them where so low, that I used the myrmidon texture and recoloured it. I don't like using custom textures at all, but it was a must here.

Attachments

• screen.JPG
    screen.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Didn't say it would be difficult, just a waste. The only difference ingame is the team-coloured plane in the background, as mostly the animation itself won't differ much from the normal stand animation. For me that doesn't justify the extra size for adding 3 additional animation sequences (One would mostly look bad at a 3-tier building). So I just asked for making it optional. :ogre_haosis:
But if the rules stay like that, I'll of course add that, if really needed ...

Can the Portrait animation pls be changed to an optional one!?!
It's really not needed for a building model. Adding a simple camera object is sufficient in my opinion.

For portrait animation there is very simple work to do. I don't know which tool do you use, I just create two sequence keys in note track (using max), and create a big plane with team glow, which is visible only in this sequence.

skrab, not bad model, but I kinda dislike too much symmetry and it has no really interesting details. But for wc3 is fine.

Ok, as you all think a portrait camera with a plane is better, I'll just add it. :ogre_haosis:
That with just two sequence keys is true, but that for every bone and than multiplied with 3 (one for each tier)... Btw, I use Gmax.

@Skrab: Same as Mechanical Man said, the model fits well with the standard buildings of wc3 but especially the first tier looks a bit boring/blank.

Here's my final entry (I guess ^^).
Download model

I made 2 different textures since the full-obisidian left side had bad feedback, but I'm afraid that's not better. Here are screens of the 2 versions :
attachment.php

attachment.php

If I need to choose only one of them for the contest, I think I'll still choose the full-obisidian because it is more "themed".

It was made to be a walkable destructable with the field "Light Weight Model" unchecked. I also added a pathing .tga texture.

Hope you'll enjoy !

Attachments

• OTWIPLAST.jpg
    OTWIPLAST.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,016
  • OTWIPLASTB.jpg
    OTWIPLASTB.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,024
  • BlackTower.zip
    129.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Can pls somebody help me with the portrait background: What texture do I have to use on it, or how do I get this team-coloured glow on it? What kind of material/layers do I have to use on it? Couldn't find a tutorial or something about it, help would really be appreciated. :ogre_haosis:

And what is now about the extension? We've just one kind of 'finished' entry at the moment and without extension the contest would end today...

Level 25
Can pls somebody help me with the portrait background: What texture do I have to use on it, or how do I get this team-coloured glow on it? What kind of material/layers do I have to use on it? Couldn't find a tutorial or something about it, help would really be appreciated. :ogre_haosis:

And what is now about the extension? We've just one kind of 'finished' entry at the moment and without extension the contest would end today...

What tools are you using?

Level 48

Do what PROXY suggested, or just copy it from a random WC3 building.

Status
Not open for further replies.