• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 22 - Mimic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Contestant list has been updated. Still looking for judges

I just realized the contest ends tomorrow, holy shit.

Uhh, can we have a 1-2 day extension, please? I just need to finish the animations. D:

(Alternatively, is it okay if I show up a little late...?)

152290-albums4816-picture48349.jpg

Oh debode, you never cease to make me laugh.
The irony, it tastes like cake. And to think that only a year or so ago you would constantly rage against anyone else asking for extensions.

Seriously though, everyone had 6 weeks?
what is that? like 42 days? 1008 hours? and you need an extension.... for a book? You keep racking up overdue charges on these books debode and we'll take away your library card.

At any rate, I am, and have always been pretty lenient with extensions. So despite the hilarity and stupidity, I'd be fine with it. That is.... unless anyone wants to take up debode's usual place and start a little rage...

Level 49
Alright, so I've got 3 different concepts for the model's "spell" animation, and the runic inscriptions inside in general. I can't decide on which one I want, so I'm asking you guys.
The first one is fully visible, 'regular' runes, that become colored when the spell animation is cast.
The second one is fully visible, 'regular' runes, that become faded and magical when the spell animation is cast.
The third one is invisible runes, that fade in during the spell animation.

Ignore the runes coming 'before' the eye and covering it on the screenshots, that's probably a Magos bug. I'm not sure though; We'll see in-game.
Either way, the third solution would mean that the book looks plain overall, but it goes to full pimp-out mode during the Spell animation.
The first solution decorates the book in most other animations, but also means that the spell animation won't look so awesome.
The second solution is kind of my favorite one at the moment, it decorates the book and also makes for a pimpin' spell animation.
Also keep in mind that during the actual animation, the runes smoothly go from black\invisible to full-color.

Also, overall progress is good; I should be done tomorrow.

Attachments

• Book_Runes_1.png
    Book_Runes_1.png
    649.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Book_Runes_2.png
    Book_Runes_2.png
    639.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Book_Runes_3.png
    Book_Runes_3.png
    504.1 KB · Views: 122
Level 26
I would keep the black runes for sure. Personally I'd do somethink like this during the spell anim:

letting some runes sparkle up in the form of a symbol (like a star or just a random combination of runes) and then it changes to another "symbol".
My picture is rather bad, but I hope it can present you my idea.(the red dots are meant to be the glowing runes). Another option could be (although I'm not sure if it is possible) that you change the texture of the runes from the colored ones to the guldan blood runes.

Attachments

• Book_Runes_4.jpg
    Book_Runes_4.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 98
Level 49
I would keep the black runes for sure. Personally I'd do somethink like this during the spell anim:

letting some runes sparkle up in the form of a symbol (like a star or just a random combination of runes) and then it changes to another "symbol".
My picture is rather bad, but I hope it can present you my idea.(the red dots are meant to be the glowing runes). Another option could be (although I'm not sure if it is possible) that you change the texture of the runes from the colored ones to the guldan blood runes.

That's a cool idea, but I don't think it's viable. I'm using a rather unique texture(for the glowing runes on the ground), which has 9 runes arranged. I don't think the Gul'dan blood runes have the same arrangment, so I'm not sure if that's viable at all. Maybe with geoset animations. Either way, I quite like the second option, and I think I'll be going for it. Not sure, though. :3
Might just try out your idea, see how it works. Afraid it'll be slightly monochrome, though. Just black and red. Not a whole lot of color or contrast.

I demand a three week extension.

I'm sorry if my pathetic requests for an extension are getting on everyone's nerves here, I truly am. I just couldn't find the time, nor will or motivation, to work on my model, until -Grendel's submission inspired me to keep working on what I already started. The general idea was already done, as well as some of the mesh and the idea for some textures and where to use them, so I decided I might as well try and finish it. When I saw when the deadline was, I went "OH SHI-", because I though it was the 10th; Confused it with the Christmas special event, that is. Either way, I SHOULD be done today. If not, I'll be done tomorrow, at which point I guess my submission won't count. Doesn't matter, I'll keep on working on it either way and release it later.

Level 49
if it didnt matter to you in the first place.... then why did you ask for an extension?

I do want to compete, very much. It's just that if you won't count my submission because it's too late, I won't be butt-hurt. I asked for an extension because I'd love to compete in a contest, for once; Been too long since I've made a submission.

:ogre_icwydt:

EDIT: i may judge if you guys still need judges

D:

Level 49
Alright, my model is done. I'm just testing it in-game and taking screenshots. I'll edit this post in 10 minutes or so. If I'm late, I'll just attach the model, with no screenshots.

~~~

In the endless libraries of the Violet Hold, the Magi of Dalaran have led countless magical experiments. Many failed, and many succeeded. The mages knew no bounds in their intrigue of magic, and stopped at nothing to achieve their goals... Which, sadly, proved to be the end of countless magi, both apprentices and masters. One goal of many such experiments, among others, was to guard treasure. One such experiment was the Enchanted Tome - A magical sentinel created to guard a very specific type of treasure; Itself. The heavy leather tome, trimmed with gold and embedded with a large decorative symbol of unknown origin, proved to be the death of many daring thieves, who tried to pry it from it's resting place on a large oaken table in the middle of the mage's room, much to the amusement and entertainment of the sadistic mage. When provoked or even merely approached, the tome opens and flies into the air, revealing sharp rows of teeth and a magical 'eye', as well as strange runes, written with an ink darker than the black of night. Asides from gnashing and chewing on anyone who dares to approach it, the Enchanted Tome is also capable of draining the life essence and burning the mana reserves of it's opponents. The magical, seemingly black runes seem to be the source of it's power; When the book is casting magic, the runes glow brightly in a myriad of colors and release vast amounts of magical energies.
So, if you are one of those thieves who are daring, foolish, or simply mad enough to attempt and enter the Chamber of the Tome - Be prepared to claw and fight for your every single last, dying breath.

Notes:
  • WC3's mip-map system(or something) sort of screws up the black runes inside the book when viewed from a distance, with a small scaling value. Not my fault, but WC3's. Looks okay in Magos, though.
  • The model is fairly small, and should be scaled up to 1.5 or so, according to the needs of the map-maker.
  • Could be based on any unit that morphs, but the model is not designed to morph back(e.g: There is no "Morph Alternate" animation).
  • Recommended movement type for open\attack mode book is "Hover", with 0 height. The model already takes care of that.

Possesed_Tome_Ingame_1.pngPossesed_Tome_Ingame_2.png
Possesed_Tome_Magos.png

Attachments

• Possesed_Tome.mdx
    49.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Level 14
Is it me or is deolrin's submission really is groovy in using the Parasite icon texture

Level 49
Is it me or is deolrin's submission really is groovy in using the Parasite icon texture

But... It... Doesn't? :p

Deadline reached without judges.

First of all: So what?
Secondly: There ARE judges. I believe they are HappyCockroach and anarchianbedlam\DonDustin. As soon as anarchianbedlam gets around to it, the contest will officially end and the poll will start.
That's pretty much the deal he gave me two days ago; If I finish before he makes the poll(OR, rather, before 10PM for me, which I did), I'm in. That's also what he said; If anyone makes it in-time before he finds judges, they're okay. That's because anarchianbedlam is pretty damn awesome.

Level 26
Secondly: There ARE judges. I believe they are HappyCockroach and anarchianbedlam\DonDustin. As soon as anarchianbedlam gets around to it, the contest will officially end and the poll will start.
That's pretty much the deal he gave me two days ago; If I finish before he makes the poll(OR, rather, before 10PM for me, which I did), I'm in. That's also what he said; If anyone makes it in-time before he finds judges, they're okay.

I always accept late entries. i just didnt want you to drag your feet with it.

That's because anarchianbedlam is pretty damn awesome.

Dont be a kissass

Status
Not open for further replies.