• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Recovering Map Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey

I deleted a map, and now i want it back, this is like a year ago. I cannot find it anywhere

I was wondering if anyone has any programs, or knows any programs that finds deleted files on your computer?

Level 19
Hey

I deleted a map, and now i want it back, this is like a year ago. I cannot find it anywhere

I was wondering if anyone has any programs, or knows any programs that finds deleted files on your computer?

if you used Jass Newgen, there should be a backup.

Other than that, undelete programs are highly inefficient and will corrupt the map

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Its called the recycle bin. If that has been cleared or overflowed in the mean time then the file is prety much gone for good.

Parts of it might remain on the hard disk but even attempting such a recovery is beyond your means and probably futile.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
but he said over a year ago and im pretty sure it regularly cleans itself
It only clears itself under 3 conditions.
1. The allocated space to the recycle bin becomes full (as it is sort of a stack).
2. The user manually requests the recycle bin be cleared.
3. A system administrator has schedualed a perodic automatic cleaning of the bin (this is not easy to do nor setup automaticly in Windows installations).

System restore points ignore recycle bin cleans if set up to backup that kind of data. The problem is that they are usually set to roll back atmost a few months so this can almost completly be rulled out as a possible option to folow.

Level 17
Hey

exist but dont work if u already used that partition alot time since u deleted it

ntfs get data back the program name and work well but with situation when u delete, format something then its really not cleared just hided, so this programs could recover that data back but when u copy to hardisc then the new data could overwrite the old so or when u recover abck ur data is damaged or cant recover back after u used that clusters where was ur file

anyway here the program, i cant link torrent link with crack so i guess better if i link the official site :D

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Level 14
exist but dont work if u already used that partition alot time since u deleted it

ntfs get data back the program name and work well but with situation when u delete, format something then its really not cleared just hided, so this programs could recover that data back but when u copy to hardisc then the new data could overwrite the old so or when u recover abck ur data is damaged or cant recover back after u used that clusters where was ur file

anyway here the program, i cant link torrent link with crack so i guess better if i link the official site :D

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

What your trying to say is that a hard drive exists of sectors, each sector stores data.

If you remove any data from your hard drive the data is still in the sector but it has a so called "flag" in front of it.
Which means the data inside the sector still exists but is marked as being deleted.

However if you save any new data onto this hard drive, the hard drive checks which files are marked with the delete flag and then the sector in which the flagged data is stored is overwritten with the newly stored data.

There are programs that can recover "deleted" files by removing the flag that marks the data to be deleted. However this can not be done if any new data overwrited the sector that contained the flagged data.

So if you want to recover files that you've exidentally removed you better be damn sure you didn't save any other files onto that same hard drive after the removal! :p

Which in this case means the OP should not have saved any data onto his hard drive for 1 year,
and I don't think that's the case here, which means the data is lost unless it's stored somewhere on a back-up or server :( Sorry bro...

If anyone wants an explenation why these flags are being used and why sectors get overwritten, just ask I have the solution in my head :)
A little tip: the explenation that I will then give learns you how a hard drive works and why it is neccesary to defragmentate them in order to fully optimize the speed of your hard drive.
I'll then also explain why solid state drives are faster then hard disk drives...

EDIT: To the Original Poster of this thread: if you've deleted the file by sending it to the recycle bin
(simply by pressing delete on your keyboard) then it might be still in the recycle bin under a few conditions mentioned by Dr Super Good.
If you've physically deleted the map (by pressing shift + delete on your keyboard)
then you would need to have a program that removes the flag that marks the map to be deleted. Which I explained above...

EDIT 2: Did anyone read this at all or is it to much for a single post >.>? To those who did: shall I write a tutorial about this? Will it be appreciated?

Last edited:
Level 9
If you remove any data from your hard drive the data is still in the sector but it has a so called "flag" in front of it.
Which means the data inside the sector still exists but is marked as being deleted.

It is deleted. But deleted not means clear. The question is thet is he writed something on that space. If he do so he can restore only part of file. If he don't he will restore full file but without data about path, size or program which can read this, so he can just gues what it is. (Thats all if he got windows and didn't make defragmentation. If he do so he should get all files stacked as one.)

Level 14
Allow me to elaborate further:

A hard disk is a rapidly rotating disk.
A hard disk reads with a so called actuator.
This actuator can be compared to the needle of a gramophone.
An old device for playing music.
As the cylinder or disc rotates, a needle or other similar object on the device traces the wavy lines and vibrates, reproducing sound waves.
This same sort of technique is used for reading and storing data from and on the rotating disk of the hard drive.

This rotating disk contains sectors.
These sectors can be filled with data.
When a file is being saved onto the hard disk the sectors of the disk get filled with data.
As soon as one sector is on it's full capacity a next sector will be used to store the data.
This means that one file that consists of a lot of data can be distributed over several different sectors.

The hard disk also contains a part that's different from the sectors, I forgot the official name but let's call it the legenda.
There's a small file in there which is called info.txt in this file is a legenda of which sector contains what data and which data combines into a file.
Including information on which applications open which files, what the path of these files are etc.

In order to read the combination of data on several different sectors to open up files or applications or whatevers.
The actuator needs to find the fastest path between those sectors.
Which is done through reading the info.txt file.

As I've explained before whenever a file gets removed from the hard drive a so called flag will be added to the file.
This will be added into info.txt which means the data that is needed to read or write to that file are still in the sectors.
Whenever new data get's stored the actuator checks the legenda for files that are marked with the flag of being removed.
Meaning that it's telling the actuator that the new data may overwrite the sectors where the data is stored for the file that is being marked as removed.

Whenever the new data is less then the total data of a file that is marked as being removed and has overwritten that data, this means that the file that was marked as being removed is physically partially removed.
Causing it to be corrupt and can not be read anymore by any application because it simply misses the data that was overwritten.

This can cause "gaps" inbetween sectors.
Meaning that the data from 1 file that was written on for example 3 sectors next to each other can now have data of the newly saved data on the second sector and data of the corrupt file on the first and third sector.

By defragmentating your hard drive your basically moving data that form a file from several different sectors to sectors that are not being used and nicely allined next to each other.
Causing them to be easilly accessible by the actuator since the disk then does not have to rotate as much to find parts of the data it needs to open or read the file.

The corrupt files or.. Partially data of a file that is still marked to be removed are called fragmented files, and when defragmentating they are also put next to each other so that the actuator can simply overwrite them in a way that new files can be stored on sectors that are next to each other.

Now that you know how a hard drive works and why defragmentating speeds up the process of finding combined data to open files, let me explain to you why Sold State Drives are a lot faster then Hard Disk Drives:

Solid State Drives use chips instead of sectors.
These chips can be used to store the data.
A solid state drive however does not read data through a actuator and rotating disk, but through other chips which are programmed to access data simultaniously.

So a hard drive rotates it disk and uses an actuator to read the data inside the sectors one by one untill it has found all the data in order to open up a file or application.

While a solid state drive simultaniously accesses chips in order to read the data at the same time instead of having to go through them one by one.

This is the reason why the read and write speed of a solid state drive is way higher then that of a hard disk drive.

I hope someone has learned something new when reading this. :thumbs_up:

EDIT: sorry if I didn't use all the correct namings, I did this from the top of my head... No references.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.