• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War of the Ring

Let me clarify that I DID NOT MAKE THIS, and I am only uploading it representing the NA LOTR community as a whole. The author has given me the ability to upload this map here on Hive.

This map was made by Diablito, and to some extent, Kalreborn, please credit them as such.

The War of the Ring has begun! Wage war as evil or against them! This map features lotr lore in the form of an RTS!

Races:

*Elves
*Gondor
*Mordor
*Isengard
*Dwarves
*Rohan
*Harad
*Fellowship

Each race has unique spawns and spawns unique units!

Stable Map:This map is stable and safe to play!
Balanced Map:This map is balanced and FUN to play!

Things to note:
Special maneuvers in which a hero kills a spawn alone is called an OP! Some call these OPs "cheap" or "unstoppable", but every OP is stoppable with a little common sense! Just think of the best way to shut the hero down, or otherwise kill it!

Spawns: When a spawns dies it's DEAD! The turrets don't count towards a win so don't bother killing the remains of a spawn's protection!

No fantasy models: Sorry theme-lovers! No fantasy here! But if you're so bothered by it that it's not playable, keep this in mind. Warcraft 3 is not ideal for lotr either, and neither are any of the other visual media! You see, lord of the rings is a BOOK, and for all we know, the characters could have looked like insects and spaceships!

That is all! Good luck with this map on EU!

Keywords:
lotr, wotr, conquest, pwn, lord, of, the, ring, war, strategy, risk, Lord of the Rings, War of the Ring, Diablito, Kalreborn
Contents

WotR v 2.48.SC2Map (Map)

Reviews
00:11, 23rd Apr 2011 Dr Super Good: Seems people like the map.

M

00:11, 23rd Apr 2011
Dr Super Good:
Seems people like the map.

Level 27
Yes tey do... now actually using Space marines and zerg as is kinda lame for a fantasy-themed map. Zealots, prisioneer zealots, probably pygalisks as mounts and protoss non-vehicle models look pretty descent for a fantaasy... plus I think I've seen skins of zealots, making them look like they're wearing a fantasy knight armor...

No fantasy models: Sorry theme-lovers! No fantasy here! But if you're so bothered by it that it's not playable, keep this in mind. Warcraft 3 is not ideal for lotr either, and neither are any of the other visual media! You see, lord of the rings is a BOOK, and for all we know, the characters could have looked like insects and spaceships!

you havent read the book. have you?

Level 10
Ever heard about paintings? Tolkien got people to draw paintings for the books.Like Alen Lee, he drew all the drawings in Hurins Children(This is a translation of the norwegian title) and many other of his books together with John Howe, with descriptions from Tolkien. Plus the books descripe the details heavely throughout them.

Last edited:
Level 3
BTW has eny1 else have ever been bothered about the fact, that in most post-Tolkien fantasybooks/games/movies, elves are often seen to have pointy ears. The thing that makes this interesting is that Tolkien never described, or said, that elves have pointy ears. instead Tolkien's elves were described to be beautiful, immortal and having the looks of young and old. Like Elrond who is said to look "timeless".

Ofc im not 100% sure if Tolkien HAVE said something about pointy ears, but if i remember correctly there weren't eny hints about that in Silmarillion, Lotr, Hobbit or in eny other Tolkien's book.

Level 3
BTW has eny1 else have ever been bothered about the fact, that in most post-Tolkien fantasybooks/games/movies, elves are often seen to have pointy ears. The thing that makes this interesting is that Tolkien never described, or said, that elves have pointy ears. instead Tolkien's elves were described to be beautiful, immortal and having the looks of young and old. Like Elrond who is said to look "timeless".

Ofc im not 100% sure if Tolkien HAVE said something about pointy ears, but if i remember correctly there weren't eny hints about that in Silmarillion, Lotr, Hobbit or in eny other Tolkien's book.

i migth be wrong but im pritty sure that the elfs mentioned in germanic and norse mytholygi had pointy ears - not that the elves in lotr are the same as the elves from these mythologies but they could have gotten mixed up in imagery and tolkien took loads of things from diffrent mythologies anyway..

ontopic: is this map uploaded to eu?

edit: nvm

i migth be wrong but im pritty sure that the elfs mentioned in germanic and norse mytholygi had pointy ears - not that the elves in lotr are the same as the elves from these mythologies but they could have gotten mixed up in imagery and tolkien took loads of things from diffrent mythologies anyway..

ontopic: is this map uploaded to eu?

edit: nvm

I have EU but I cannot get my EU as a secondary starcraft II to download and it will be a few days before it is up.

Level 6

What you see in the movie is one persons opinion, the art director. Mind though that they have indeed stated they were trying to resemble a world which would satisfy Tolkien's ideas. The coming movie of The Hobbit has similar design as the LotR movies, just because they were such a success, and somewhat due to the fact that it has the same director. So Tolkien's work and those from the cinema should be regarded as differences.