• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #3 - Schizophrenia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I've been rather inactive around here for a while. Lots of school work... I'll try to finish my piece, but I'll be judging if I don't find it satisfactory by the deadline.

If that's the case, then I'd rather join then judge. Since 4 judges is a littlebit too much. And since I've got time anyway, I don't mind joining instead of judging.

Level 11
I decided to update my song some more, not quite done yet, but heres the WIP.
Didnt change much, just added some different effects and changed a few small things.

Criticism/comments please :)

Btw, could we have a vote on an extension? because i know i would like one

Attachments

• Schitz_WIP.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 85
Level 19
There was more then 1 month of time for this. If you can't make the deadline then you should've started earlier.
If there is an extension it means I also have to change my schedule on judging it. And to be honest hmm, that might become though since April will become a very busy month for me. So that means I might have to delay my judging till after April most likely.
So if I have a vote in this I would not like to delay this. Since well.. There shouldn't be a reason for it since you had pleeeeenty of time.

Level 2
hm

hey wolfman i heard your sound. and i have to say it sounds verry strange.

wich music genre were you trying to create ?

Last edited:
Level 10
I agree about the extension. Since I will definitely be judging, I'll be on a tight schedule so I'll probably have my judging delayed. I say no. Five weeks was plenty of time. And if you joined the contest something like 2 weeks later, asking for an extension would be unfair to the others who joined right when the contest started.

So everybody, let me hear you. NAY!

Level 11
I agree about the extension. Since I will definitely be judging, I'll be on a tight schedule so I'll probably have my judging delayed. I say no. Five weeks was plenty of time. And if you joined the contest something like 2 weeks later, asking for an extension would be unfair to the others who joined right when the contest started.

So everybody, let me hear you. NAY!

I guess im going to say no as well then

Level 6
Ok guys...It's done.

The name of the song: Madmann(The second "n" is supposed to be there, to show a symptom, that schizophrenics have. It is the incoherence, known as "word salad".)

0:00-0:19 - The intro of the song represents the first symptom "the madmann" has in this song, and that is hallucinations (hearing voices).
0:19-0:42 - This part represent a symptom that schizophrenics also have, that is the disorganized thinking and speech. Also repetition of words.
0:42-1:22 - This part showing the social withdrawal, sloppiness of dress and hygiene, and loss of motivation and judgement that are all common in schizophrenia.
1:22-1:30 - This part also represent the symptom of disorganized thinking and speech. Also repetition of words.
1:30-1:40 - Repetition of social withdrawal, and other symptoms!
1:40-1:50 - The voices return!
1:50-2:10 - In our "madmann's" situation, the schizophrenia goes far, to an uncommon subtype, where the person may be largely mute, remain motionless in bizarre postures, or exhibit purposeless agitation, all signs of catatonia.
2:10-2:23 - Same lack of hygiene and social withdrawal due to the uncommon subtype of schizophrenia.
2:23-2:24 - The doctor enters the room, and he closes the door behind!

Attachments

• Lex - Madmann.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 92
Level 2
my WIP

so i can join too ?

i dont need more time, i record a demo in 20 hours, i think 27.03.2011 is good =) i will work on it =)
maybe you have my contribution in the next 20 - 30 hours. just as a warning to you ;) (i hope im not too late to announce my contribute )

gg
Ruben

hm ok check it out. its v0.33 (= 33 % of the song is finished ;) )
any tipps till now ?

Attachments

• WIP PIC 2.jpg
    WIP PIC 2.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Epic Schitzo v0.33.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 112
Ruben - did you play that guitar yourself?
Going off that screenshot, it seems like much of your song is from loops - which are all well and good, but remember the song has to be 75% your own composition.

Finally had a chance to start writing,
just an unfinished midi rough draft, but it's a starting point

http://www.box.net/shared/ofozlxk2g8

I plan to make the song become more and more abstract as the song goes on, until towards the end it's a mess of seemingly unrelated ideas and glitch sounds.

Level 2
haha ^^ sure i did play the guitar! and there are no loops !!!! its 100 % all new recorded by me !!

the drum machine is a vst plug in of my audio programm, and completly self created(copy and paste is allowed lol). (i could record myself, but i dont have the time to do this [content ends 27.03])

btw: the piano is a recording of mine too !

the bass effect was made with an effect vst plug in just like the drum machine (BY MYSELF !).
(like the quiet high effect)

i thought you can see these facts with this screenshot ^^ loops is for noobs ;)

Last edited:
Level 2
Sides Of Music

Ok this is my final contribution. i called the song "Sides Of Music" because it has some different styles in. and that is what we in german call "schizophren".

some synonyms of schizophrenia:

-insane (mentally ill)
-psychosis
-paranoid schizophrenia
-emotionally disturbed
-splitted mind

and these are the things i tryed to descripe with this song. i hope you can fell as well.

the outro is abit more "chilled" because:

-its a disease ( thos ppl who are ill this way: it's not theirs fault! )
-out of pity to those ppl
-it gives the song a different mind

the "double bass" and "speed" (you call it Annihilator xD ) describe the "problem inside" or the "inner conflict" (pls try to feel what i mean, i dont know how to better explain in english)

well i hope you like it =)

ps.: here is the link to Youtube (for those who dont like to download it ;) )
*Rubinrox - Sides Of Music*

and here is the downloadable file

Attachments

• Rubinrox - Sides Of Music.mp3
    2.4 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Level 2
hm i think i agree with your points too. and yea, i use a Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95 pedal. i love the wah effects, its my favourite effect!!!:D (...whuaaa whaaaaaawhuaaaaaaa :D )

Level 12
Well it was close, but I made it. Here's my final entry. I've uploaded a youtube video in addition to the mp3 file.

Fracture:

This piece depicts a mentally unstable man's struggle to maintain his sanity, though he eventually gives in and his mind fully fractures. To begin, we hear dissonant, atonal music that represents the insanity within him, gripping him, whispering in his ear, tormenting him eternally. It grows and grows in strength, but so too do his attempts to bring peace to his mind, increasing the violent conflict in his head. Finally, he manages to restore some form of order, and is able to think clearly. It's not a happy existence, but it is a stable one. The insanity that previously gripped him is now replaced with a sort of sad calmness, represented by more stable, tonal music. But all is not well. The music grows more and more dissonant, depicting his descent back into madness, until, finally, his mind breaks completely, and he succumbs to it. Now the music is violently atonal, loud, fast, and terrifying. But finally, he can take it no longer, and taking a knife, he stabs himself to death and takes his own life. But in death he is finally relieved of his suffering, no longer burdened by his own broken mind. We once again hear the tonal music, but now in a major key, filled with consonance. Finally, he is at peace.

Sibelius 6
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4

Enjoy!

EDIT: Sorry, the version I uploaded was the wrong one. The correct version (the one used in the youtube video) can be found in this post.

Last edited:
http://www.box.net/shared/fi7n590m9g
wip, trying a lot of things I don't normally do in this track

I think I'll probably be able to make the deadline

A new wip:
http://www.box.net/shared/9a96g2ui9c

I'll finish it up tomorow, past 2:06 is obviously still wip/unfinished (evidenced by the overall lack of percussion)
Definitely need to turn down the guitar (I'd prefer actual guitar, but I'm too short on time so virtual guitar will have to do)

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
This is it !

"Is he going to do it ?" the Lilly asked.
"Of course, we'll have to take advantage of that." the Crow said.

"Help me find the gold and all of us will be rich with me king." the Leprechaun snapped.
"Yes, yes, just don't let my parents see you otherwise they'll lock you up again." the boy said.
"You were there all the time too." the Leprechaun mumbled.

"How is he Doctor Chrow ?" Misses King said.
"The sedative I've given him seems to have wear off" the doctor said sadly.

"Now's our chance ! Let's make a run for it !" the Leprechaun loudly snapped.

"I'm sorry madam but I'll have to do it again." Doctor Chrow said.

"You don't unders... !" the boy said.

"Is he going to do it ?" the Lilly asked.
"Of course, we'll have to take advantage of that." the Crow said.

Dannz is the boy of Misses Lilly and Mr. King. When his father Chaun died things got unpleasant.

Attachments

• deepstrasz-leprechaun king (ShotScreen).jpg
    deepstrasz-leprechaun king (ShotScreen).jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 126
  • deepstrasz-leprechaun king.mp3
    4.7 MB · Views: 133
Status
Not open for further replies.