• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #3 - Schizophrenia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
No im not attacking anyone, dont want to. just thanks for revealing that truth. ok you're right.
Damn, i should not have said that. Just remebered old feelings about this... If its looks offensive im sorry JetFangInferno. oh my $%^&* english.

Last edited:
Level 35
Devine your song has definitely improved production wise; now the newly added elements really indicate that the piece has progresses. The dubstep part is still kind of abrupt and so are the distorted tones. Perhaps you can make the distorted tones come in earlier but start from a low level and fade in. Although it sounds nice to the ears from an overall perspective, it's hard to feel the schizophrenia.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Hey you guys :), I hope your progress is faster.
This is what I call my Work in Progress the Second :D.

Attachments

• deepstrasz-screenshotTHEsecond.jpg
    deepstrasz-screenshotTHEsecond.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 59
  • deepstrasz-Zchyz(wipTHEsecond).mp3
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
Level 35
It's really quite interesting how there are a lot more WIPS in this contest compared to the previous one.

Deepblade, I really like the three-part dialogue between the bells, horn (or tuba?), and strings because it kind of represents what actually happens in schizophrenia patients: there are multiple voices (but not personalities to be technically accurate) speaking and this shows through with your orchestration. The drop in pitch for the strings towards the end is a nice addition -- a descent into madness.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Sir you just know what you're speaking :). I should call you a seer. As interesting as that drop to madness using the pitched strings and a growling piano note may sound I don't really think it fits with the rest of the song. I'm having a dilemma whether to include such a mood or not. Yes, that is a tuba, at least that's what the program says.

Level 35
If I don't finish perhaps I could judge instead. I have finals week coming up =X

@Deepblade, it actually does fit in but kind of abruptly. If you did the same thing throughout the song in increasing intervals of intensity, then you can actually lead up to it quite well. The descending strings allows your song to transition to a much deeper and violent part.

Great! So how do you join?-------
Also, must the music have lyrics, or can it just be sound?The reason I ask this is because ive made zombie sound effects before, and I think i can use what I do to make those to create an "insane" piece.

There's no requirement for lyrics
Did you read the rules post, that's quite clearly indicated.

Level 2
can i be added to the list of contestants please? i will be working in fruity loops studio 9, and shall have a wip up in the next couple of days if that is acceptable

Heres my next WIP for the Contest. If I don't make a final before the contest ends, just use this as my final please. The reason i ask this, is because I am not sure if I will have the time to work on it more. This time it is in video form from youtube.

BTW, I attached the file, so if you don't like/can't watch youtube videos theres that option as well.

Attachments

• Schrizophrenia Soundtrack Hiveworkshop Contest Entry.mp3
    4.8 MB · Views: 63
Level 10
Ok, I've added the latest entrants to the list and added JFI as a possible judge. JetFang, please tell me if you will judge or compete because I'm very confused right now D:.

My next WiP will be here soon I hope... Nice to see we have so many wips. Hope you guys come through with a full entry.

Level 35
Yeah I'm kind of confused too because I really want to participate but finals are looming :( Unless an extension is issued (Wherewolftherewolf, mr.pocket, Krl70, Axegrinder90, and I could benefit from this), the contest won't have a lot of participants with finished entries, and the contest won't be as exciting.

Level 19
Watchman,
Could you please update the first post everytime someone posts his final entry like Devine just did. I'm very busy at the moment and to save some time it would be great if you could keep an eye of that for me.
This so I can immediatelly start working on my reviews the 28th.

Oh and Wolfman.
At the moment my critism would be that it needs some change. There's one pattern that's looped through nearly the entire song.
Try to come with a dropdown or something or work towards a certain goal in your song. Play with your volume a bit. Like most songs have they start at lets say 60% volume, somewere they reach the point where its all about at lets say 100% volume, and then drop back to 60% again. Play around with that, currently its a like a very quite ocean but I'd prefer an ocean with waves if you know what I mean;-)
Most people forget that silence is music aswel. If you extend the big fat 'goal' of your song long enough the effect will only be bigger if you wait with it. A joke is also way more fun if you extend the clue as long as possible. If you say it too fast withoud building up tention the joke effect is gone... Same thing with songs.

MrPockets0000:
Hmm I don't really know how I would judge that. In my opinion it's an ambient effect for a game.. not (background)music.
I can't imagine anyone listening to that unless he plays a game. So I suppose your goal is to make something to be played on the background of a game or wc3map. In that case I really think it's more an ambient effect then background music. But it's quite freaky. So why don't you come up with some things that are being done in horror movies aswel or something. Like notes that are very close to eachother high in a piano, or a childish song.. With that background a childish song would scare the shit out of me to be honest.
I'd would just like to hear some more 'music' or instruments in it really. But for ambient sounds it's quite cool!

Yeah I'm kind of confused too because I really want to participate but finals are looming :( Unless an extension is issued (Wherewolftherewolf, mr.pocket, Krl70, Axegrinder90, and I could benefit from this), the contest won't have a lot of participants with finished entries, and the contest won't be as exciting.

no iwont benifit from it, bc my 6 yr old hard drive is shot and im using my phone to say this
EDIT: my dad said i can use his laptop when hes not working, so maby i will be able to do some more work
EDIT: I kindof like Devine's
EDIT: WOLFMAN's IS AMAZING!
EDIT: and Lexalex.... Your sound is cool, but it doesn't really reflect what I would call insane.

Last edited:
Level 17
Never mind i dropping out. Can't think of anything. Started a piece and it turned out into techno and nothing like skitsophrenics mind so Bleh.

Good luck everyone Hope you all do well =D . Been listening to some of the wips they sound epics!!!

Last edited:
Level 6
Hello. This is my first attempt at the song.

Section 1: Initial Encounter (0:00 - 0:19)
Section 2: Blurring the Lines (0:19 - 0:37)
Section 3: The Mind Game (0:37 - 1:21)
Section 4: The Recovery Race (1:21 - 1:48)
Section 5: Relapse (1:48 - 2:07)
Section 6: Blurring the Lines Again (2:07 - 2:25)
Section 7: Ongoing Struggle (2:25 - 3:02)

Tell me what you think :)

Attachments

• The Mind Game.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Good song Mr. Mech Warrior. I hope you revise it a bit :).

Mr. Pockets, music is harmony of sounds. I advise you develop what you've done. Some pitch and other notes would be greatly appreciated, even a bass line or/and some beat would enhance your composition.

Mr. Wolfman, your song is interesting. I think those bell-like sounds don't match, add some more reverb to them. The beat is awesome.

NOTABLE ADVICE: if you feel your song is complete and thus you like it the way you made it IGNORE all other suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.