• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Scars of Conflict [Altered Melee]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Are you making this just a map or a complete MPQ change?? if its a change i can try to make all the maps from warcraft 2 campaign, ladder and skirmish maps (all of them) into a Warcraft 3 map, and try to make the campaign as well.. its your call.

I guess for Blizzard-like quality, we must endure Blizzard-like release schedules

Not exactly. See blizzard pays about 50 (per team) people full time to work on games for professional production. They have industry professionals who have years of experience.

This is a small group of people modding in their spare time. Not to say they cant do great things, but doing something great will take soooooooooo much longer. Making an Rts is difficult, making a good one is insanely complex, time consuming, and difficult.

The SoC team seems to be more interested in the Art side of the mod Aswell, (over other areas) and that takes quite a long time.

Level 49
I guess for Blizzard-like quality, we must endure Blizzard-like release schedules
I love you for making that comparison.

Are you making this just a map or a complete MPQ change??
Currently, Scars of Conflict is set to be a pack of a few Altered Melee maps, for a combination of different team settings such as 1v1 and 2v2.

if its a change i can try to make all the maps from warcraft 2 campaign, ladder and skirmish maps (all of them) into a Warcraft 3 map, and try to make the campaign as well.. its your call.
Thank you, but I believe that we are not currently looking for additional team members.

Not exactly. See blizzard pays about 50 (per team) people full time to work on games for professional production. They have industry professionals who have years of experience.

This is a small group of people modding in their spare time. Not to say they cant do great things, but doing something great will take soooooooooo much longer. Making an Rts is difficult, making a good one is insanely complex, time consuming, and difficult.
That. I have nothing else to add. This is partly why we canceled the campaign; All the work effort was simply too much of a bomb on top of our spare time.

The SoC team seems to be more interested in the Art side of the mod Aswell, (over other areas) and that takes quite a long time.
...And we all know that artists are lazy as hell. :p

Level 21
A perfect remake of the Raise Dead ability for the Death Knight, and by the way will you add other units as well for campaign units?
Warcraft III did this with their campaigns, and just curious.

Looks good so far as well, but still needs a little something.

Level 49
I'm guessing the update is an Undead Race?
I'm sorry, but no. There are no plans to add additional races currently.

I don't really see any use in adding more work to an already ambitious project, so I'm going to guess not.
Indeed.

A perfect remake of the Raise Dead ability for the Death Knight, and by the way will you add other units as well for campaign units?
As has been said multiple times, currently there are no plans for a campaign in Scars of Conflict. After the techtrees, balance, etc is done, we might discuss something like that. But not currently.

what are you insinuating by that?

<3

Level 3
Level 51
Indeed, Fan made this model for us, but we never implemented a Goblin Zeppelin unit thus we never got to use it.
Fan is not officially a part of the Bloodlust Studios team either, so technically SoC never made a Goblin Zeppelin. ;)

True dat :)

Fan said:
it was decided they would never use it anyway in SoC, and Linaze told me to release it if I like :)

Level 49
Uhh, Linaze... I think you're a little confused here.

Whisper, we have plenty units which are not staunch copies from Warcraft 2. And even the units that are returning from WC2 are vastly different; The techtrees are no longer copies, the units are not equal, most units have unique upgrades that they didn't have in Warcraft 2, all spellcaster units have completely different spells, etc.
I don't want to name any special units at the moment, but trust me when I say that SoC is definitely not one of those 'WarCraft II remakes' you can see everywhere.

Level 24
No I'm not being confused. Actually, If anything, I think your description of Whisper's question was confusing.

The absolute majority of the units in SoC have their roots in either of the Warcraft games. Only the Assassin (and I guess the Flagship, but I'll save that one for another day) comes to mind when thinking of units not featured in any of the Warcraft RTS games.

This is not to say that many of our units aren't completely redesigned from what they were in that other Warcraft game, or that the tech trees haven't been almost completely altered from WC2, or that we haven't added lots of new stuff featured in neither WC2 nor WC3. Don't worry guys, SoC isn't just-another-WC2-remake, it's actually quite awesome (not to brag or anything, I'm just saying).

Oh and we have some news for you tomorrow.

Level 49
33jhbar.jpg
2142vrr.jpg

24pi1d2.jpg
15etvzm.jpg

Greetings to all our fans and followers!
Welcome to the second installment in our Developer's Blog series.
The Developer's Blog is a short overview about a unit, game mechanic control point or any other feature from Scars of Conflict.

This time, we will focus on the Death Knight. The Death Knight is a Horde spellcaster that you may train from the Shrine of Sargeras, the spellcaster producing building of the Horde. The Death Knight specializes in causing fear and disorder among enemy troops and thus supporting the Horde's warriors.

DK_1.png
DK_2.png
DK_3.png
DK_4.png
The ancient evil survives!Practitioner of dark magics.Weapons of the dead.Prepared for combat.

Since the Death Knight is an Undead unit, the night is when he's best at defeating the enemy. During nighttime, the Death Knight's abilities become more effective, and thus Death Knights are best used while the sun's down. To fully utilize the Death Knight's potential, support from 'meat shield' units is required, as the Death Knight is fragile and does not deal much damage.

The Death Knight's arsenal of spells includes:
ATCAnimateCorpse.pngAnimate Corpse
Raises a skeleton from a corpse. Skeletons have low hit points and damage, but in great numbers can overwhelm the enemy, or be sacrificed by using Dark Ritual. Skeletons last for a short while before expiring.
BTNShadowyRitual.pngDark Ritual
Sacrifice a target friendly skeleton to dispel positive buffs from enemy units and negative buffs from friendly units in an area around the sacrificed skeleton.
BTNWhirlwind.pngTornado
Channeling ability. Summons a mighty tornado in front of the Death Knight. The tornado spins towards the target direction, and lasts for a few seconds before expiring.

The tornado reduces the attack and movement speeds of enemy units in an area around it.

And finally, to conclude this Developer's Blog, here is a video of the Death Knight in action:

So yeah, folks. This was part of the big surprise.
The other part of the surprise is that a demo may not be too far!
As a matter of fact, after a little discussion, it has been decided that the Horde will be finished first and foremost and then released to the public. While you guys test the map out and report any bugs and imbalances, we will work on the Alliance side. So prepare yourselves!

On this note, I'd also like to mention that I updated the first post of this thread. "The Team", "Gallery" and "Dev. Blog Archive" were all recently added, and the Techtrees section updated(albeit the changes to this section may not exactly make everyone happy... :p).

Also, please note that some of the content you see in this Developer's Blog is placeholder, and will be replaced or improved before the final release. The focus of the Developer's Blog - the Death Knight - is what you should pay attention to, and ignore the minor problems and placeholder art for now.

Last edited:
Level 21
I for one is making the Death Knight a hero, plus the Ogre Mage, having a Goblin hero, a Forest Troll one as well, and finally probably the Orc hero.

The Death Knight's spells look good too, and I agree with making the Tornado slightly a little darker, but the soundset is kinda weird with the Lich, but its still awesome.

Level 49
I'm glad you guys all like it. :)
As for the Tornado - I believe that we discussed this before, but we decided against a custom model because of the filesize that will accompany it. We still have plenty of models to import and not that much filesize left.

Feel free to discuss the Death Knight in the newly opened Death Knight Discussion in the Social Group!

Last edited:
Level 49
Just trying to keep this thread alive for a while.
Here's a little graphical update.
20fovw6.jpg
wi0zz6.jpg
FootmanEyebrows.pngDragonEgg.pngGruntFourHorns.png
  • The Footman has finally grown his missing eyebrows.
  • The Grunt has received a helmet makeover and now has four horns, just like in Warcraft II.
  • A new Dragon Egg model has been created to represent the dragon hatchlings before growing into terrible, destructive flying beasts.
  • The Troll Axethrower now has a proper projectile.
16m6luw.jpg

Level 21
You guys should really do a campaign, but oh well and looking forward to the demo.
Are you gonna release the dragon, roost, and the egg separately, or your pack is going to stay the same?
Meaning well I could use them, and I don't need the rest, just a good dragon roost, the dragon, and the egg for younglings and a cutscene with the Dragon Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.