• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #11 - Battlefields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
oziris that looks amazing,while it has lots of detail you cleaned up a little bit in the last update
one thing i dont like tough is that the sky is a bit too dark,or is it just me?

Level 2
Well, After seeing others i dont think this is very good, but
heres my final copy

Attachments

• Terrain Competition.w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • WC3ScrnShot_121010_145629_01.tga
    3 MB · Views: 86
  • WC3ScrnShot_121010_122822_01.tga
    3 MB · Views: 69
  • WC3ScrnShot_011111_213940_01.tga
    3 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Last WiP. I'll post the final tomorrow.

EDIT: Nevermind that selection circle. It's the camera.

Attachments

• Wip3.png
    Wip3.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 421

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Yeah, both of the sides' grounds are flat.
My problem now is to show that river. Currently, it is covered by those light soldiers. I'm thinking making forks like I did with the lava. Any ideas?
Your problem lies not with the river, I can tell you as much. The end of the world is 'oh-so-very' clearly visible, and it does not look good :p

I'd say you should concentrate on depth and fixing this issue before you worry about anything else.

Level 12
Final...?

I guess this will be my final entry if no one has anything to say about it.

I'll be going on vacation for the next week, so this is pretty much the last chance I have to change anything.

Level 12
Azurot, your use of doodads is breathtaking. However the area behind the human party is empty and that draws the eye, so you could make cracks or debris or something.
Also it looks like there's a floating flare at the center of that building, perhaps you could make it blend more into the building itself.
Otherwise excellent.

fladdermasken, I'm assuming that plane area isn't finished yet but it still looks very nice. The rest looks lovely.

I'll probably be facing one of the last places...

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'll probably be facing one of the last places...
Don't discourage yourself, at least you'll finish your entry on time.

I'm still not completely convinced I can make the deadline ;)

fladdermasken, I'm assuming that plane area isn't finished yet but it still looks very nice. The rest looks lovely.
Ah yes, quite unfinished indeed. This is quite early on.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Level 12
@fladdermasken, Small things:
- The lighting on the robot in the center of the picture makes it look too cubical, or is that the model itself?
- The floor is still too plain, you should add tile variation and stuff. I know it's not finished, but it still bothers me.
- I don't understand what the giant mechs on the sides are for and what do they do, but I guess that's not the main point of the picture.
- Just reminding you, there's no battle to be seen yet and there are only 5 more days left until the deadline.
Otherwise I love the environment and the fused choice of textures, doodads and units.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
@fladdermasken, Small things:
- The lighting on the robot in the center of the picture makes it look too cubical, or is that the model itself?
- The floor is still too plain, you should add tile variation and stuff. I know it's not finished, but it still bothers me.
- I don't understand what the giant mechs on the sides are for and what do they do, but I guess that's not the main point of the picture.
- Just reminding you, there's no battle to be seen yet and there are only 5 more days left until the deadline.
Otherwise I love the environment and the fused choice of textures, doodads and units.
The robot is quite cubic seen from that angle, lighting or no makes little difference.

I have yet to seriously start working with tiles beyond the first fence.

If you reckon they look good, then they have served their purpose.
Fact of the matter is, the left bound mech is a giant drill digging for potential oil sources. The right bound mech is a factory.

Battle is coming, there is still five days left.

Thanks for the feedback.

Level 12
Goolygot, it's fascinating but I'd like to see crates or something on the walls.

Oziris, it looks like nature is taking over the scene and decreases the value of the battle in the picture. I suggest you reinsert the lava.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Awesome Fladd, I love your entry, keep it up!

Updated my, the lava on the right side was somehow pulling to much attention IMO, too bright and didn't fit nice with the sky. If the change is bad, tell me, I can easily return the lava back.
Thank you, I'm pushing hard to make the deadline.

And yes, getting rid of the lava was the right choice as far as I'm concerned.

Level 13
Can someone tell me how to play the animations in editor I know it's been said sorry but I can't find it in the thread.

Final Entry

Reign of Chaos Battlefield <BR>
This is my final entry. It is a Battlefield after a great battle between orcs and humans. This terrain shows the awful power of the destruction and the battle.

The Terrain haves unit pathing (i know there must be not) and it will be uploaded to the Hiveworkshop in the Map selection as Terrain Template after the Contest.

Hope you like it. Give feedback, so i can do a last update. Any updates will replace this Post.
rocbattlefield.jpg

Last edited:
Level 18
ok thanks. +rep for that o and btw here is my first wip... (i didn't want to show it but sinse we need a wip before we post the end result its fine with me)

It's isnt really what you call a battlefield but i gona stick with it anyway xD please give suggestions cause i could use them.

Attachments

• SimpleFirstWIPcntst11DRHouse.png
    SimpleFirstWIPcntst11DRHouse.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 444

2-P

2-P

Level 8
Alright, should be one of my last WIPs.
After this, I'll be done with the terrain. I am no longer worried about the deadline, it will be done before time's up.
Criticism very much appreciated.
View attachment 96385

You seem to like that color scheme of the sky. Did you try it with other colors yet? Something less colorful?

There are also random glows (near the bottom right corner for example), no idea what they're supposed to be.

Level 7
I started to make an new picture, cause when i finished with first one, it look awful IMO with units. Just didnt fit. What you think? Awful, good, great?

Contest 11 first try.jpg

Well my new try is in most part from nature done, still need to add some doodads to make it more underwater and there is still an battleground missing, but gona finish tomorrow. The footman is there to show how big the warriors will be.

Contest 11 Between the seas.jpg

I came to this when i found out new tehnice in WE to me, how to raise water level so you can build under it. And when testing it, i remembered a Moses (i hope im right), when he went through the sea, making an dry ground and water to both sides. So i thought i gona do something similar.

So what you think, is 1. or 2. one better? Comments, critisism, ideas welcome.

@ Dr. House
Idea is nice, battle between canyons, but. . . those rock models are awful when they are close to camera, try to change then, use other( high res, Barrens usual rock and rotate them etc.) maybe try to make it something like in This picture

Level 30
I started to make an new picture, cause when i finished with first one, it look awful IMO with units. Just didnt fit. What you think? Awful, good, great?

View attachment 96399

Well my new try is in most part from nature done, still need to add some doodads to make it more underwater and there is still an battleground missing, but gona finish tomorrow. The footman is there to show how big the warriors will be.

View attachment 96400

I came to this when i found out new tehnice in WE to me, how to raise water level so you can build under it. And when testing it, i remembered a Moses (i hope im right), when he went through the sea, making an dry ground and water to both sides. So i thought i gona do something similar.

So what you think, is 1. or 2. one better? Comments, critisism, ideas welcome.

Well, the first screenshot could definitely work :) I think there just needs to be a little more space between each of the blue units. Right now, they just seem a little too tightly packed. Making a higher res picture also helps imo :)

The second one is also a nice idea, very original for Warcraft ;) Only thing I might suggest is adding some waterfalls where the sea meets the land, perhaps with some fog doodads to represent some steam? :D It would certainly make the whole thing much more epic :)

All just suggestions ofc, they're both totally awesome in their current state anyways ;)

Level 7
Thanks CloudWolf

Now you made it more harder for me to choose, wich pic will be better xD. But i will try your suggestions and see wich i like better. And what did you ment with usning high res pic. Did you meant that i should try somekind of high res screenshot maker or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.