• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #18 - Aberrations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
Not going down without a fight, apparently.

attachment.php

EDIT: Texture is what I'd call finished, though I'm tempted to add restraints like belts and stuff to him.

attachment.php

Attachments

• whatisthis.jpg
    whatisthis.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 342
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 372
previi.jpg

preview.jpg

There you go. The Watcher. a rather large mysterious monster that floats around effortlessly. doesnt die, doesnt age.

It exists to observe and store memories, its organic brain only used as for processing the information. its memory is stored deep within its core.

when entering hibernation, the flesh brain instantaneously erodes away and the body of the watcher falls to the ground, staying motionlessly for eons if necessary. primitive humans often mistake these for stone henge or ancient ruins.

where they come from or how they come into being, no one knows.
---------------------------

Attached the test map so you can test the model ingame.

WHAT YOU GET IN MAGOS IS NOT HOW THE MODEL LOOKS IN THE ACTUAL GAME
some sort of bug in magos. wont display the tc as it should be doing.
---------------------------
also. thanks to dondustin who helped me fix the material problem.

Attachments

• testmap.w3x
    798.6 KB · Views: 440
  • watcher_Texture.blp
    741.7 KB · Views: 235
  • Watcher3.mdx
    120 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Pyramidhe@d, that watcher model of yours is really mind-boggling, lol

however.. it has a few things (imho) that you should tweak.

1: the thighs of the thing aren't really connected to the hip area of that thing, logically they should be.. dunno..
2: The brain.. well.. while it is squishy, it does not pulse like a heart would, so mind mind calming "it" down a lill? (especially the far-back-part of the brain, it juts out a bit too much in the anim)
and.. 3: the that TC flicker could be slowed down a lill?

all in all, you snatched my vote from Ilidanevil xD

Level 28
attachment.php

The Flying Replicating Excarnation Digester is probably the worst scourge to ever have been released. They rarely attack unless threatened and stick to eating dead animals. But after great battles they tend to feast on the dead bodies of the fallen warriors. The flesh and bones of the bodies are converted to smaller Excarnation Digesters but identical to their parent. Those are known as FREDYs (Flying Replicating Excarnation Digester Youngling). This reproduction method allows the FREDs to grow in numbers exponentially. At the moment they aren't much of a problem, but what happens once their numbers are too great to sustain with natural casualties?

So here's the result of the fried shrimp. I worked with it all day. I don't expect much of it but what the heck. It was fun :ogre_haosis:

Attachments

• FREDPreview.JPG
    FREDPreview.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,202
  • FRED.mdx
    40.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Level 28
Aaand, I'm done. This is means my Magus is not longer a valid entry as I've replaced it with this.
The Hell Knight

attachment.php

Wow. Contests really bring out the best in people. Friggin epic.
There was a bug with the portrait though, maybe just in magos but the ring and the wings on the helmet dissapeared for a short moment in the talk animation.

I call it Spawn. It's somewhat like a tadpoleish creature that due to genetic alterations stopped evolving and just grew. With the years and generations it also eventually developed mutations in order to survive in the harsh nature. The only flaw still obtained from the incomplete childhood are the extremely shallow veins (white spots) across it's body.

um....Aberations are frome another plane of existance....so,it's not an abberation unless its a spices of its own
:vw_unimpressed:

Level 28
um....Aberations are frome another plane of existance....so,it's not an abberation unless its a spices of its own
:vw_unimpressed:

I'll take this opportunity to wildly asume that you haven't seen my final contribution.

Here, I'll help you scroll up -->[SELF="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/arena-226/modelling-contest-18-aberrations-183285/index21.html#post1811962"]Linkie[/SELF]<--

Entries so far
Vermillion Edict
ike_ike
Taylor_Mouse
Thrikodius
Dionesiist
Pyramidhe@d
DonDustin
this is all the entry so far. some people have failed to put a preview. i suggest you update your post. if i missed anyone, please tell me so.

Illidan(Evil)X - havent seen the final entry. must have finished by now
debode - seen a head. dont know if you continued on
dondustin - last time, just needed animation
M0rbid - i think it was the poly problem or you are up to animating now

other people have dropped out for various reasons or simply lost interest.
it is right now, 13 Jan 0044 hour
contest ends in 14 Jan 2356 hour
which gives everyone a bit less than 2 days to finish their models. since everyone isnt sure about the time thing, yes. it is fine for you to submit your model a bit late. A BIT

there will be NO EXTENSIONS nor do i think anyone will be asking for one nor anyone will NEED one.

Misha, Anachianbedlam and Lord_T are the judge as it has been already stated on the first post. If there is a problem and one of you cannot judge for a reason, please state so.

Last edited:
Taylor, your model looks cool, but.. the animations are rather stiff, almost robotic..
mesh seems fine, but in animations some parts deform and sink below ground.. you might wanna re-check that..?
In the spell animation, no ..(puke?) is leaving the mouth, and how's falling, it looks completely un-natural.. I'd suggest redoing that one..
and also.. why does he have that toothy mouth if he doesn't bite, lol
tongue is hilarious xD

EDIT: and why is he biting his own tongue in the portrait?

Wouldn't PentaSnail be a more fitting name since it has only five tentacles? Just a thought though.

I like the Portrait Talk animation most.
You should do something about that tounge, goin through his teeth in the portrait. Otherwhise it's fine.

I almost forgot the talking animation so I did it pretty quickly, and it was around 1 O'clock in the morning, but since we have until the end of the weekend, I 'll see if I can fix the tongue and do something extra.

The Acid Spit spell is not doing what I wanted, the fx do not come out as expected :/

T.

Level 26
"The contest will conclude on 11:59pm 14th of January 2011 GMT only if there are at least 3 completed entries by that date.
Extensions will be given accordingly until there are at least 3 completed entries.
Extensions will NOT be given for any other reasons."

Awesome, so contest closed, pyra needs to make a poll and i'll start judging

Level 26
Modelling Contest #18 Aberrations Entry: Kangooration

I'm finally done. That model did not turn 100% out as I expected(even the base concept was completely different at the beginning), but I'm still quite happy about my creation.

Mesh and Animations are made from scratch and it only uses the DraeneiAkama texture.

attachment.php

Attachment points list:
Foot Left, Foot Right, Hand Left, Hand Right, Weapon Left, Weapon Right, Chest, Head, Overhead, Origin

I also suggest using the testmap, because there you can find recommended settings for it.

attachment.php

Have a great day and good luck to everybody. :)

Attachments

• KangoorationPreview.jpg
    KangoorationPreview.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,039
  • KangoorationIngame.jpg
    KangoorationIngame.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Kangooration.mdx
    51 KB · Views: 131
  • KangoorationTestMap.w3x
    43.3 KB · Views: 96
Status