• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
OK, I won't do a Chimera, instead of I am drawing a KRAKEN!!!
WIP nr.1 Document_2.jpg

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Hey, this is my final entry:

It represents the invocation of a terrifying event (the beast is released out of a god of death's head; ex: Hades). The representation is magically carved on a stone scroll.

I've put my signature on it too.

Attachments

• deepstrasz-god of death(final3).jpg
    deepstrasz-god of death(final3).jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 843

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

There are some really awesome concepts popping up as of lately, nice work guys.

@ shiiK
I like the solid black for the lobster bits a lot, makes him look more scorpion-esque; and by association more bad-ass. For refining the colors on said parts I'd recommend you look at a scorpion rather than lobster for how the reflections and coloration works, that could look pretty awesome. The head strikes me as a little awkward though, it seems to big and squishy compared to how solid and sturdy everything else on him looks. The detail on his arms is pretty amazing.

Thanks for the feedback.

I might get some time to refine my entry a little before the deadline after all, if such is the case, you'll all find out in due time.

Level 10
Well here's another WIP, not final yet i hope, but if i don't get time to update, it is. I'l try to change clothes next update, if there will ever be one.

ConceptArt# Mythology-DwarfWIP5 486x640.jpg

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

@shiik, the crustaceous part looks kind of dull and kind of like plastic
I know, it's partially intentional, though. You can see what it is, which is the most important, and it also brings the focus back onto the character. I've tried to create an original concept based on a Greek god that is not so often mentioned, and I personally think I've achieved a believable image of Phorcys. This contest isn't about making fantastic artwork, it's about representing an idea visually - making a concept art. I appreciate your feedback, though.
@goblin, i think you should draw some environment for it

Environment? As in a background? It's a concept art. The background should be irrelevant to the final judging. It's the character that matters (or whatever is being visualized) in a concept art, not the overall appeal of the artwork. An environment is only necessary in an environment concept.

Just thought I'd try to make that clear one more time.

I know, it's partially intentional, though. You can see what it is, which is the most important, and it also brings the focus back onto the character. I've tried to create an original concept based on a Greek god that is not so often mentioned, and I personally think I've achieved a believable image of Phorcys. This contest isn't about making fantastic artwork, it's about representing an idea visually - making a concept art. I appreciate your feedback, though.

Environment? As in a background? It's a concept art. The background should be irrelevant to the final judging. It's the character that matters (or whatever is being visualized) in a concept art, not the overall appeal of the artwork. An environment is only necessary in an environment concept.

Just thought I'd try to make that clear one more time.

you don't think environment contributes to a concept?

Level 31
environnement isn't very useful, but sometimes it is.

For example, the kraken of tails is in the water, but it was useless to draw the water because it's obvious that the kraken is a water creature. The part of the background that is useful of the drawing of tails is the little boat and fishes, because they show us the kraken compared to human creations (so we can imagine how big the kraken is).

Level 12
Status
Not open for further replies.