• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
gorgon3-11-10.jpg

i am doing darth vader

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Can't figure out if I should give him a weapon or make him depend on his godly abilities (ie magic) and claws. The right arm will look odd not holding anything at all, though.

Either way, reworked the face and gills.

Phorcys33WIP17.png

Level 13
hmm, it dosn't really look like a predator to me. But predator claws or some kind of arm-attachable knives might look cool on it.

And the new head looks much better.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Hmm? Piece mythology?

Anyway, I'll go with the claws like I had originally intended, but small Wolverine-ish claws rather than a huge multi-purpose shield with fangs on it.

Phorcys50WIP20.png

Level 13
@shiik, I guess the blades didn't work? It still looks very cool though.

@Berz, exellent work, I love the whole concept.

Level 5
Im not sure wether this work would fit into the mythology topic, but I might as well try.
Information

• Title: Inverse Sun
  • Reason for Title: A normal sun is hot, but this one is freezing cold.
  • Artist: Igor Gusev (Also know as: Urahara, Marlog, 04gusigo)
  • Date Started: 04th November 2010 - 8:10 United Kingdom time
  • Date Finished: 04th November 2010 - 19:44 United Kingdom time
  • Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5
  • Resolution: 1280x800px (Wallpaper)
  • Software Tools Used: Brush Types(~15) Brushes(~60) Gradients(~20) Glows(~15) Filters(~35) Warp(~3) Text(1) Layer Blend(~50) Gradient Blend(~30) Glow Blend(~10)
  • Colours: Frost, Nebula(purple, blue, green, yellow)
  • Background: Black

Why do I believe my work fits the mythology topic?

• There isn't such a thing as a sun that freezes up planets.
  • There isn't a frozen planet that has that much ice sticking out into space.
Proving the ownership

• Well I always thought that Hive Workshop had everything taken care of, everything perfect, until I tried to upload my .psd file. Hive Workshop only allows me to upload .psd files of no more than 5mb, but my photoshop file is 6.9mb in size... Pyritie has changed this to 10mb now<<<
  • Anyway I have uploaded it to Rapidshare, and here is the link: Download <<< Link removed|File is attached
  • Sorry, but non of the layers are labeled, because that just takes decades off my time on the work, therefore I prefer to leave every layer unnamed.
Hope you like this ^^

Attachments

• Galactic.png
    Galactic.png
    746.3 KB · Views: 799
  • Galactic.psd
    6.9 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Level 5
I upped it to 10MB :D

Thanks Pyritie :)

Huh. That's not concept art, that's graphical design. Neither is it anything mythological. What mythology is it taken from? Mythology is not "sci-fi" or "fantasy", you know.

Okay here is what on my mind:

1. Anything can have a concept, mine could be "The myth of the frozen sun" or "The myth of the freezing sun" or "The myth of the frozen planet due to the freezing sun"... so..
  2. Sci-fi = Science Fiction, pretty much anything you cannot see in our everyday lives. So werewolves, magic spears and everything in warcraft, starcraft is sci-fi.
  3. Fantasy = Something that does not have to exist, something that is exaggerated and dreamlike.
  4. A Myth = Something that can be true as well as can't. Something no one knows the answer to.
There you go, so I think that my Inverse Sun, fits the category of Myths.

Level 49
1. No, you don't understand. Concept art is a representation through drawing of an idea. Later, the modelers of a flim\game take your piece of concept art and make a model out of it if they like it enough. I'll just wait for Mr.Goblin to pop into this thread and explain everything to you. :/
2. No. Sci-fi is futuristic.
3. Fantasy is medieval.
4. Mythology != Myth.

Level 25
You are true if most of your points Debode, But I have to disagree on 3. Fantasy does not have to be medieval. Fantasy is something that diverge from reality, such as magic or supernatural creatures. For instance, Harry Potter is fantasybooks/movies, and they are situating in our present time.

Level 5
Well you didn't prove my first point wrong just so you know... As I said.. My work can have a concept as well - "A sun freezing a planet", there you go. I've represented my idea through drawing, as you can see(if you can see).
No, sci-fi is not futuristic, learn your language. Sci-fi is science fiction okay? I've explained it already.
Fantasy is not medieval, learn your language again. I've also explained it.
Mythology is the study of Myths. It is the same thing basically.

Level 25
Science fiction is another reality (often futuristic). Depending on how the science or technology has changed and altered our present world. For me the difference between sci-fi and fantasy would be that fantasy is magic, wherewolves and things you dream about when you are high. And sci-fi is storys about how the world might look in another time, scientifically. More like speculations rather than pure imagination.

Level 38
all right, now that I'm not in class trying to get as much use out of the waccom tablet their for meh Cerberus...

@ Wimbo125
The position of the arm in the background looks a little off, with both arms in the same place it sort of looks like you're monster look like his arms are more like useless wings. With the rigid positioning of your feet at a right angle to his legs it appears like your monster has no ankles, you should have the toes and foot bending more and curling more in that position. I'd recommend google searching athletes, finding one that is in a similar position to your monster, and re-positioning his background arm and feet in a more appropriate place. btw, Samwise hates doing feet, so if the feet on your monster are frustrating you you're not alone their XD

@ Krl70
I wouldn't worry about the background to much, A good deal of concept art has no background at all.
Your dwarf looks a little lean to be a dwarf, even in fantasy they are usually portrayed similarly to how dwarves actually appear; shorter and wider. Also, most miners I've seen generally cover themselves up pretty well - when one is crawling through the ground having protected knees and elbows is probably a big plus. Overall your use of two-colors to define shading and highlights is actually working pretty well, you seem to have that style down.

@ hunalexnl
I enjoyed your video of creating your Egyptian god. The gold seems to be a little flat and plain though (it looked pretty good at some stages of the video). If you're doing an Egyptian deity you've got to get the gold down right though, there are sooo many solid gold things from Egypt XD. Your Aztec-Murloc looks cool to, with color that should turn out pretty cool to.

@ Mr.Goblin
Looks pretty epic. The name Kraken might be more appropriate for the look of your monster though, I seem to recall the Leviathan being referred to more often that not as a sea-serpent. The Kraken is usually described as a giant squid, and considering the tentacles on that bad boy...

@ 04gusigo
Mythology and Science Fiction are not synonymous terms, Mythology and Mythological entities require some sort of legend, epic, or story that was used to describe how the world works and was believed as fact; while science fiction is largely understood as fiction. For something to be classified as mythological usually also implies people stopped accepting that explanation as fact as well, while myths generally refer to things people still believe in. Still, demi-human religious figures and monsters from popular fantasy literature (such as cthulhu) could still be classified as mythological; while virtually everything from science fiction is not. In fact, I think every mythological figure is tied to a religion while science-fiction characters are not.

@ shiiK
I like the solid black for the lobster bits a lot, makes him look more scorpion-esque; and by association more bad-ass. For refining the colors on said parts I'd recommend you look at a scorpion rather than lobster for how the reflections and coloration works, that could look pretty awesome. The head strikes me as a little awkward though, it seems to big and squishy compared to how solid and sturdy everything else on him looks. The detail on his arms is pretty amazing.

@ M0rbid
I'm getting the same feeling from that I get when I actually find a spider in my house, its uncomfortably creepy.

Level 10
@Morbid: Very nice, very brutal, kinda gross, but in a good way, i can't wait to see that done. The eggs doesn't really look attached tho, in my opinion atleast.

@67Chrome: Why thank you, that's the nicest thing a mod has told me about my art! And with BG i actually meant the rock's, but for some reason i just called it the BG because of it being positioned at the BG layer, i'l use the right term from now on.

Hmm... Fustrated now, anyone got any suggestions on how to do the uncarved rock? I just can't find a way, i have tried quite a bit, but nothing seems to fit.

Level 7
Heres a wip and an entry. I decided to do Zeus... how boring is that? Yes, I know in the wip he had a pretty feminine figure, but it doesn't look so bad in the finished version.
161368-albums2206-picture37605.jpg

161368-albums2206-picture37604.jpg

I suggest you add some details like patterns on his robe or do something nice with the staff, just to make him look more unique.
Great stuff going on everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.