• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
It looks great -Berz-...1 single point I'd want to tell you...the left arm looks like its broken...that's it...otherwise it's great

Level 45
Chiron, if he was to be biologically making sense. Also a lovecraftian horror.

Attachments

• scan0029.jpg
    scan0029.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 183
"# Art theft will result in appropriate punishment

* Photomanipulation, paintovers, tracing, and so on are not allowed in this contest"

Lolz that is funny. because everybody from professionals to beginner do it.
Good example Jason Felix

aren't you supposed to be dead? O.O

hehe, welcome back, and if you join this competition, I think it will be the most epic battle I would be into. :p

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

CR! Tell me you're joining in. :3

Also, another WIP. (The old hand will be removed, I'm just lazy.)
Phorcys33WIP6.png

Level 24
I'm somewhat fuzzy on the definition of concept art (as I always am when these contests come around). Does it have to be 2D? I feel like it should be a legitimate possibility to have a modeled concept.

My assumed definition is just art that isn't designed for a game.

Correct me if wrong.

I'm somewhat fuzzy on the definition of concept art (as I always am when these contests come around). Does it have to be 2D? I feel like it should be a legitimate possibility to have a modeled concept.

My assumed definition is just art that isn't designed for a game.

Correct me if wrong.

Concepts art is = anyform of art ''sculpture/drawing/painting/etc'' that present a concept.

By concept we mean, a cool idea that is creative and original.

For example : The concept of Link

The dude that invented the Character of Link ''I had in mind a tall warrior, that is abit based on the Elves from Lord of the Rings, so...tall, pretty looking dude with long blond hair, also I saw him wearing the armor of someshort of forest scout, like some dark green cloths with chain mails under it, something pretty light to be easier to move around. Also, he would be wearing some leather boots and would be holding a sword with a purple handle and a shield with a badass logo made out of bright colours'' That's my idea on - how Link will look like -

So concept art, is basically any forme of art you use to represent an idea of a creature/character/environnement/etc. With anyforme of art possible, beside writing.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Goblin pretty much described it already, anyway, I'd like to clarify slightly:

A concept art is a visual representation of an idea (a concept). The purpose is, mostly, to brainstorm ideas for a final product (character in a game, creature in a film, a new toy, a house, etc). You aim to present the idea in an easily visible manner - therefore, concept art for characters is often without a background and shows the design from various angles.

Concept art is mainly 2D art - because that's the cheapest and least time-consuming to do. If you're going to do one hundred designs for a character (and you want them done quick) you don't go ahead and model them all, you sketch them. When you've got a smaller selection of possible final concepts (after a team of designers and artists have agreed on the ones they like), you work more on those. The process goes on until there's only a very few left (preferably a single one), then you might go ahead and model (but, technically, then it's already in the process of becoming that final product, at least when we're talking about games and films.)

In effect, concept art is anything visual that represents the idea and nothing else. The counterpart is, simply put, promotional art - where the goal is to show-off, bring interest to a project, an artist or a topic.

I think a lot of people are mixing those two, concept and promotional art, and that's what makes contests like these confusing. Everybody involved - contestants, judges and public voters - should be aware of what concept art is. Most non-concept art will be eliminated by the rules here, so the most important factor is that the judges know how to judge.

In the end, I think that in order to win a contest like this, you have to take a concept art and give it an extra touch of promotional art to impress. Simply because there's public voters involved, and the theme is so vague the judges don't really have a specific judging criteria. Usually, when concept artists compete, it is to make one specific idea, or for one specific part of a project, and only the ones going to use the concept art is the ones who judge.

There, pardon the long post.

Some more details, now I don't know what to do around the belt area, there is something missing but i can't figure out what :/

@shiiK, now I'll have nightmares, because he looks like "Ima goin to eat ur brainz" :D

Nice job anyways :)

For me... he looks like the Godfather of the sea...

''No one messes up with the familia...''

Last edited:
Well i decided to post something here after all.
Will o' Wisp
willowisp.jpg

Name: Will o’ Wisp
Classification: Fairy, sentient
Language spoken: Unknown
Habitat: Swamps, wetlands.
Height: 1-2 cm
Weight: <1 g
From the Journal entry of Dr. Frank Germaul, a paranormal biologist.
1390 July 20
I have come to this little town, hearing reports of a phenomenon the locals are calling the “will o’ wisp”, occurring in the near by swamp. I have been called here to confirm the nature of this phenomenon, whether it is naturally caused, paranormal or a hoax. The locals have been seeing this phenomenon for generations so I have already ruled out the possibility of a hoax. If it is, I would have to say it is a rather elaborate one. What my hunch is that this would probably be some sort of a newly discovered firefly or a similar insect with bio-luminescent.

At the tavern, a local drunkard has offered to be a guide through the treacherous swamp. Well…he explained that it wasn’t very treacherous except that it was rather incredibly easy to get lost in. Ive asked him on his expertise. He said he ventured few times around the edge of the swamp when he used to collect(and experiment with) psychedelic mushrooms. I was rather unsure but due to the lack of volunteers, I’ve accepted his kind offer and went upstairs to my room. The drunk man yelled out something about wearing thick clothes or something for tomorrow night. I would be more than prepared.

1390 July 21
Well, I have put on my full protection gear. I have brought this suit, just for the occasion. It is a full body overall, made from thick fire resistant cloth. And of course, I wore my leather helmet with face protection. I did not know what kind of foul air the swamp secretes nor the diseased insects it holds and I wasn’t taking any chances in this place, so far from a decent civilisation let alone a working hospital. I mean, seriously, half of the population act like they have been lobotomised and lacks the mental faculty to hold a coherent conversation.

When I made my way downstairs, half of the people fled in terror. I guess my full body suit is rather terrifying to these people. Their cloth seems to consist nothing but ragged shorts and dirty shirts. Anyways, the half of the people have fled. Those who didn’t were just too drunk to even move. My “guide” was one of the drunk ones. And apparently, he didn’t seem to remember his promise because he was wearing shorts and shirt. Of course, he didn’t remember meeting me either and drunkenly said that it was a pleasure to meet me and gladly offered to guide me around the swamp. His drinking buddy also decided that he should be a part of this expedition and tagged along.

Some hours later…
As we have arrived at the swamp, it was clear why the drunkard had warned me to wear thick cloth. The place was thick with knee high grass with razor sharp leaves. Even through the thick cloth, I could feel the blades nipping away at the fabric. The two “guides” weren’t so lucky. They already had few open cuts bleeding and clotting. At least they didn’t seem to be in pain.
As locals have reported, the place had numerous “will o wisps”. These weren’t, however, a bright blinding ball of light as the locals have rumoured it to be. Whatever it was, their light was barely faint and whenever I approached one, they dimmed away completely into the darkness of the light.

As I was busy being sweaty and frustrated in my attempts to snag one of these lights with my net, Ignorant and More Ignorant were having the time of their life, laughing and chasing what I presume the lights. And then, to my surprise, I realised that we were totally and utterly lost. I must have gotten carried away, chasing the lights. Ignorant and More Ignorant were probably lost to begin with. I called out to them that we better call it a night and start finding our way back home. Suddenly, the guide called out “I’ll get us out of here! The green little man told me to follow the lights!” and before I knew what was going on, the man began to run into the forest with his friend behind him shouting “The light. The light!”

I gave chase, fearing for their safety. The friend didn’t get very far before I ran him down and tackled him to the ground. The man was blubbering like a loon with a wide grin on his face and a string of saliva drooling from his mouth. My ‘guide” wasn’t so lucky and I heard him yell out in great pain, from the darkness of the forest. Restraining the deluded man by tying him to a tree trunk, I searched and called out for my guide to no avail. The man was probably knocked out or dead. Either way, we were lost. I lit a fire and examine the man who was still tied to the tree. It was clear that he was hallucinating. But this wasn’t from some sort of alcohol. His pupils have dilated, he couldn’t control his salivation and it was clear his sensitivity to light have ten-folded. Every time I got close with the torch to examine his leg wounds, he yelled out in pain, covering his eyes. It was very clear to me that he was drugged. I sleep now, with the man still tied to the tree. I have tied a blanket around him to keep him warm. Nothing I can do for the time being until light.

1390 July 22
The morning arrived, feeling cold with the fire out, I forced myself to open my eyes and I was startled by what I saw. Masses of faint lights, covered my mask. I took it for some sort of insect as I could only make out its spindly legs. They were too close for my eyes to focus on them but I could clearly hear them. As I sat there and listened, it was obvious that these weren’t no insects, for what kind of insect communicate with each other by talking to each other. I didn’t understand what they were saying but it was clear that they were frustrated and one of them raised its limb and struck the fabric. I let out a yelp as sort of a splinter pierced through the fabric and prick my face. The creatures shrieked and immediately flew off my face and disappeared. I stood up to find that the man tied to the tree is also covered with these small glowing creatures. As I jumped up, they flew off his face and disappeared into the forest. I ran to the man to check if he was still ok.

The man was unconscious with tiny little cuts on his face. He was still breathing but his eyes were rolled behind his head and it was clear he was drugged again. He was also bleeding from his ears, the blood still trickling down onto his shredded shirt. To my horror, I saw a one of the creature making its way out of his ear, faintly covered with blood. I rushed to my bag and grabbed a specimen jar and snagged up the creature before it could fly away. I quickly dressed and cleaned up the man’s cuts and wounds, checked his vital signs were ok and made sure his ears stopped bleeding.

The creature was of a vague human shape except with spindly insect like limbs and a big round head. It has an insect like wing and its whole body was bony and translucent. I could clear see its bones, its intestines and its heart seems to be the source of light. It constantly snarled at me, baring me its rows of small but pointy teeth. I examine the creature further until the man tied to the tree woke up screaming. I tore my eyes away from the creature and fed the man some breakfast. He seemed to be back to his normal self except that he was even more docile. I put more blanket around him and he smiled at me like a sheep, nibbling on his bread. I made sure he understood that he must stay here while I was gone. He smiled once more and got back to staring at the embers. I left my heavy gear and went into the forest to search for the guide. I only had to look through for few minutes until I found my guide at a bottom of a steep chasm. From the angle of his neck and back had turned, it was clear he wasn’t alive.

As I came closer, I could see that his head has been dashed on the rocks, his skull cracked open. More of those creatures were gathered around his head. I waved my arm around and chased them away. The creatures fled into the trees before I got close. Upon close inspection, it would seem like the creatures were feeding on his brain. Most of it was gone, scraped clean from his skull. Looking around me, it seemed that a lot of people have met the same exact faith. The bottom of this chasm was strewn with broken skulls and skeletons. And soon it became very clear what happened to all those people who got lost in the swamps. Then suddenly, I felt a sharp pain behind my back and a drop of blood splatter on the rock. I put my hand on my neck to find that I was bleeding. Suddenly feeling sickened and disorientated, I tried my best to climb out of the chasm, falling down, time and time again. I finally made it out. I stumbled and crawled somehow back to my camp to find my equipment strewn across the dirt, the jar with the creature smashed and the drunken man dead with his face planted in the smouldering fire pit. Then I collapsed into the dirt.

I woke up later in the inn surrounded by the towns people. They saw the smoke from the campfire and rushed to my aid. I put my hand to my ears and didn’t find any traces of blood. I immediately got up, packed all my stuff and left the town before it could get dark again.

Inspired by folklore tale of Will o Wisp, bright floating ball of lights that linger around the marshes and wetlands, speculated to be spirits of dead babies or little fairies with lamps. Some people have even reported that these lights lead lost travelers to dangerous situations. I've decided to elaborate on that

The Will o Wisp is a fairy type creature. It is carnivorous and it hunts in pack. It is not a beast, it is sentient and intelligent enough to have its own language which only register as what sounds like high pitched insect noises.
its size is minuscule and its body is translucent and spindly. It travels using its wing, its legs are used mostly for balancing and its hands do all the basic manipulation.
During day time, they retreat from the swamps into the forests. The live under trees in a delicate structure weaved from tree resin. This is much like how forest fairies build their buildings but in a more utilitarian ways. The Will o Wisps craft everything they need from the tree resins which includes their spears and knife.
They are generally insectivores but are capable of hunting down animals or even humans. Will o Wisps living near human settlements have developed a new way of hunting. They will lace their weapons with boiled down essence of psychedelic mushrooms found around the swamp/wetland. And when an unwary traveler ventures near the swamp, the pack will begin to make little tiny cuts along the traveler's ankle. Eventually, the psychedelic chemicals build up without the person noticing. When the time is right, the Will o Wisps will fly together, looking like a rather large ball of light. These lights are still very deem but due to the effects of the mushroom essence, the traveler will be seeing this bright ball of light. The swarm of Will o Wisps lead the person to where ever they deem most convenient, whether that be head first into branch of a tree or a cliff. Once the target has been incapacitated or killed, the Will Wisps will access the brain cavities of the person with the most convenient way possible. If the skull is still intact, they make their way through the ear. Onces in the head, they will gently carve out a piece of the prey's brain and carry them out one by one like ants do, carrying a piece of breadcrumb. These brain pieces are eaten on the spot or carried back home where they are coated with resin for preservation.
They make sure they carve around any big blood vessels in order to keep the brain alive and fresh for longer. They are so precise, a person can easily survive this sort of ordeal although you will find them to be a lot dimmer afterwards. You will find that, over time, the intelligence of the average townsfolk will diminish over time for this exact reason. The will o wisps have learnt over time that brains are very nutritious food in comparison to other meat and many colonies frequently band together to bring down a whole human and completely devour the whole brain.

yeah, if you have time, grab a popcorn or a drink and just read through all that.

This is my entry as of now. if you need wips or whatever, just ask cos i got the psd. i just done this yesterday and didnt really have a WIP to show. just got it over and done with.

ps. that was pretty fun, i might do another one before the contest is over.

Level 19
Well, I'm a dane and I know prety much about the norse mythology, I think. Two ravens in a pic would most likely show that Odin keeps an eye on her through Huginn and Muninn. And that's cool, but if you don't want it that way, and you just want them to be normal ravens I suggest you only make one.

Yeah, Valkyries are always sexy - that's how I immagine them, so you should maybe let the viewer see a little more beautiful and attracting, yet still honorful woman resembling no whore (like many real life beautiful women :p).

Level 6
Cool modifications....but I would suggest about the left hand(again - my problem is that left hand) relax it a bit...it is like "oh I want to punch the one who's staring at me" - just make it more relaxed..u can make a bag and put his hand into the bag like he is getting something out of that bag...or u can make a knife at belt..and he can put his hand on the tip of that knife...and the examples can go on.....But just relax the hand a bit (maybe both)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Updated post.

Phorcys33WIP12.png

Starting to get there design-wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.