• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #18 - UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Well..lets see what happens :p
EDIT: Chilla..not enough work, do not even submit that as a final work please.
L0w: OMG your creating my dream, a DK UI, noice
Everyone else, keep working, theres alot of WIPs, which is nice to see :)

Level 38
I've been playing around with the UI to see exactly were the alpha channels are and figured I'd share what I've found with you guys.

UIAlpha.jpg

The red is the part of the UI that can support alpha. Anything below it will appear black, anything above it won't appear on the UI and will be cut off.

The icons are solid green to make them stand out more easily and be more easily selectable. I replaced the resource icons as well, though the WC3 UIs aren't designed for square-edged resource icons. I also have icons were the first hero and idle workers would appear over on the left of the UI.

The map is laid over the UI as a semi-transparent layer, and is rather transparent at that. Any texture underneath it really shows through. Could be interesting in you wanted to do some effect underneath it though. Alphaing out the section of it that protrudes into the red will cause the terrain below to show through it, so I'd recommend staying away from alpha underneath the map.

Alternately, the unit portrait is entirely reliant on alpha channels to show anything. Could be a useful piece of information if you plan on making a UI for a tower defense that only uses doodads for units, though I don't imagine anyone will cover it up.

Anyways, I also included a .tga version to make magic wand selections and similar opramands easier for anyone who would like to use this.

Attachments

• UIAlpha.tga
    2.3 MB · Views: 330
No... I won't participate..
Yes I will keep my eyes on this contest, because making a UI is just so damn hard ><

someone should make a..

Gnoll UI or a
Goblin UI or a
Tauren UI or a
Forest UI (just ruins and plants basicly) or a
Tuskar UI or a
Centaur UI or a
Forest troll UI or a
Blablablablabla UI

anyway good luck to all :D

Level 38
Looks pretty good l0w_kwaliti, I especially like the portrait frame.

Glad to hear a lot of you liked the alpha boundries I posted for the UI as well.

Anyways, I decided the theme I'm working on for my UI is a cave. The designs for it are inspired by the Underground Reservoir level in Castlevania; symphony of the Night. Though I may get some inspiration from underground Mario levels as well. Basically its going to have crystally-sparkly stuff because shiny things are awesome (though admittadly I haven't gotten to adding sparkles yet).

Kinda felt like doing a UI for a terrain settup rather than some obscure race.

67chromeUIWIP.jpg

Level 10
hmm... i think it needs more details, like more shading and highlights

BTW: i was thinking to use one of these in a map im making, how do you import UI's? I never figured it out, just get's transparent.

Level 19
No... I won't participate..
Yes I will keep my eyes on this contest, because making a UI is just so damn hard ><

someone should make a..

Gnoll UI or a
Goblin UI or a
Tauren UI or a
Forest UI (just ruins and plants basicly) or a
Tuskar UI or a
Centaur UI or a
Forest troll UI or a
Blablablablabla UI

anyway good luck to all :D

You forgot the Pyritie UI..
I'd love to see a yellow dragon UI!

I've got good news and bad news.

The good news: I'm done with the basics. Time to work on the top and the inventory cover.

The bad news: I've accidentally saved a flattened PSD file and now I'm screwed when it comes to large edits. To make matters worse, it's not one PSD, but four split PSDs.

I still have to fix some positioning problems.

Attachments

• asgasgas.png
    asgasgas.png
    607.5 KB · Views: 562
Level 38
I've accidentally saved a flattened PSD file and now I'm screwed when it comes to large edits. To make matters worse, it's not one PSD, but four split PSDs.

I hate it when that happens XD

Looks pretty awesome, I like what your doing with the icon spots.
The snow looks a little weird though, right now something about it dosen't look right. It should have more rounded edges and blue-gray shading. I think it's mostly the snow on the minimap that's bugging me actually.

Other than that it's really purty.

Edit - All right; here is were I am with my UI in all it's manly sparkly goodness :D 67chromeUIWIP_02.jpg

Last edited:
Level 13
@67chrome thats just amazing, good job.

@l0w_kwaliti yours is looking really nice too ^^

Level 18
@67chrome
I really like your Idea and the cave UI you've created, but it's too blurry and I don't like
the minimap part, try to make it like the Heropreview Area, with a cave around it, instead of that box field.. would be more awesome! :) Good job so far!

@l0w_kwaliti
Very cool idea I like your UI very much and it's pretty useful for many people I guess :)
Can't wait to see the finished results, awesome. (But i think the snow parts up left are a bit too much, some less snow, but more icy shards would be better)

Level 38
@67chrome
I really like your Idea and the cave UI you've created, but it's too blurry and I don't like
the minimap part, try to make it like the Heropreview Area, with a cave around it, instead of that box field.. would be more awesome! :) Good job so far!

Thanks for the feedback on it, hopefully it looks less blurry now.
Anyways, the map is really square because unlike the time indicator frame and unit portrait, alpha cannot be used to cover up part of it. Rather, the map is projected on top of the UI (I think in a additive layer...basically everything that's black is transparent and everything that's white ends up opaque). I've tried making solid white stalagmites+stalactites hang into it but the map still seems to show through, so I've opted for making the edges straight rather than have the map overflow the edges. I might work on the boarder a little more though, It does sort of stand out as being to straight.

Anyways, Here is what I've got so far, and now showing the inventory cover :D (why it starts something like 944 pixels over I have no idea). I'll probably go through a few minor adjustments (ie making the minimap edges looks more organic, possibly applying another sharpen, alphaing out the edges of the time indicator, making the button locations surrounded in blackness so disabled and passive icons look cooler) but I think I'm mostly done now >:D
67chromeUIWIP_03.jpg

Level 18
Hey chrome,
how about this, found some nice looking UI, and the creater painted into the minimappreview.. it's kinda possible and can look ok.. for some maps.. maybe you could add the cave around that square to reduce the look of a box? because it doesn't fit well into your UI.. everything is rounded, or randomly placed by cave corners, except that box at bottom left..

unbenannthd.jpg

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Kind of early to place votes, don't you think?

Well... I suck at drawing anything with the mouse or my untamed cheap tablet. And UI drawing should be really well made.

So I decided to draw my UI with the pencil!! I'll make the base drawing freehand as a whole and scan it, then I separate it into the tiles, apply better colors, shading, highlights, make it sharper, etc...

If anyone wants to draw the UI freehand, here's a template you can print.

UIAlphaprint.png

Just print it and draw over it, the lines are a very bright and a bit hard to see, but if they were darker they would ruin the actual drawing in some parts... they're there just to indicate the areas that support alpha and where the icons go, etc. Just like chrome's scheme. (ripped off there :D)

Level 13
I'm sure there are hundreds of things we could all suggest for UI's, but yeah, a Draenei UI wouldn't be too bad. And guys, don't forget about the Infernal UI, and the Faceless UI, and the Golem UI, and the.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.