• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 17 - Air Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
alright, about 15 more hours to go guys. hopefully happycockroach, debode, pyritie and I can finish in time.

Mr. Bob has offered to be the second judge.
If you want to judge you can still offer, 3 judges could be a "tie-breaker", but 2 are sufficient.

Good luck to all participants, it's coming right down to the wire here!

Last edited:
Level 28
Spell alternate:
Skiploom___Spell_Alternate_by_Pyritie.gif

Looks like he's sneezing...

Level 26
I think we will stick with the criteria already put in place. Meaning 1 first place winner with his/her entry on the award icon and then the 50, 35, 20 rep respectively for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. That's what people signed up for.

As for the "small extension" for happycockroach... I personally would be ok with it. But i will leave this decision up to the other contestants.

Is it okay if I post both the regular and the optimized version of my model? The optimization (hermite -> linear) made the stand 2 and death anims look reaaally bad compared to the unoptimized. But the optimized file size is less than 50% of the unoptimized.

Guys? I'd like an answer before the deadline D:

Level 26
Is it okay if I post both the regular and the optimized version of my model? The optimization (hermite -> linear) made the stand 2 and death anims look reaaally bad compared to the unoptimized. But the optimized file size is less than 50% of the unoptimized.

Feel free to post both, but only one of them will be judged, otherwise it's too confusing

okay I'll just post the unoptimized then since it looks a lot better imo

anyway my submission

Hoppip

Skiploom anims kept screwing up when I tried to export them and I never got around to the jumpluff ones. I did learn a ton when working on this though so the next model I do should be a lot better :D

Attachments

• Hoppip.mdx
    261.2 KB · Views: 105
  • HoppipBody.blp
    87.8 KB · Views: 108
  • HoppipFace.blp
    28.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 1,070
  • hoppip.zip
    243.8 KB · Views: 64
  • hoppip test.w3x
    271.7 KB · Views: 252
Level 26
we have some excellent entries so far. It's an hour to the deadline. No one has really said anything so i'm just going to say that it's ok for happycockroach to submit his late. Unfortunately for me, i've been having some problems with milkshape exporting animations properly. I dont think i can finish within 50 minutes.

Is it ok with everyone else if i submit mine a couple hours late like Happycockroach?

Level 11
Few hours won't change anything. Besides, judges wont star to judge the second deadline hits. At least I think they wont Oo

I actually didn't have time to finish. But I'm gonna post what I have:
attachment.php

(gonna edit this with better description later)

Edit by Pyritie: Please use this model instead. The original submission screwed up all lighting when used ingame and has since been fixed.

Attachments

• cabalist_bannerlol.jpg
    cabalist_bannerlol.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,447
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 26
Very well... i sense yet ANOTHER shitstorm building. heaven forbid this be a fun website. You know, because everyone here is here because they are forced to and we all have jobs on these forums etc. It's all srs bznus here on teh interwebs huh?

contest has ended. Milkshape fucked up my anims. it wasnt my fault but APPARENTLY there is nothing i can do about it.

I'm still going to try to finish my model. hopefully people will like it outside of the contest.

good luck to the contestants. I can take solace in the fact that we had some excellent submissions.

Last edited:
Level 30
Very well... i sense yet ANOTHER shitstorm building. heaven forbid this be a fun website. You know, because everyone here is here because they are forced to and we all have jobs on these forums etc. It's all srs bznus here on teh interwebs huh?
It's obviously our fault your model didn't get finished in time.
Finish the model in like 14 hours from now and I'll judge it.

Level 31
I don't care who's fault it is.

We have a deadline. I'm sick of this, "give everyone a chance" attitude. We might as well stop calling this a contest.

I don't find it fun at all when we extend this for slow modelers. Its unfair to people who actually finished. One week was fine because, we voted 3 days prior. But, seriously. More?

Plus, I may not be here for a while if we extend it anymore. Your limit for me being present is like 24 hours or so.

Well... anarchy and me asked for a couple of hours... I finished mine 1:40 GMT - 3, what's 4:40 GMT... but right now we're far beyond a couple of hours already.

Last contest the winner entry (anarchy's) was uploaded a 'couple of hours' later too, 4 hours later... But if it's for the contest's fairness, I may withdraw my entry and we just count those who finished in time... :/

Level 30
Well... anarchy and me asked for a couple of hours... I finished mine 1:40 GMT - 3, what's 4:40 GMT... but right now we're far beyond a couple of hours already.

Last contest the winner entry (anarchy's) was uploaded a 'couple of hours' later too, 4 hours later... But if it's for the contest's fairness, I may withdraw my entry and we just count those who finished in time... :/
Don't worry about it. Anarchiam has 3 more hours to finish his model if he doesn't finish it in time, I'll ignore it :3

Level 31
your entry was completely fine in time HappyCockroach. People who really complain about you being a bit too slow are just afraid that you may win this contest and that they don't get a piece of the award cake :p

Clearly I'm concerned that my non existent entry is going to lose. :D NO CAKE FOR U.

Anyway, a couple of hours is fine. Just don't drag it out for another week.

Level 26
Level 26
you didnt like the way it came out?! you are being too modest.

Nah :/ the way the bones/animations are set up, there is some "clipping" and awkwardness. I dunno, it looked too bulky in some places and too skinny in others. Ill put up full pics and gifs in my gallery later if anyone was curious about it

EDIT: If anyone wanted to see it, you can find it in my gallery-thread now, first page, under the "MC17:air units" hidden tag
>>Here is the link<<

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.