• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 17 - Air Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah thanks Fingolfin, I noticed the proportion issues today when I looked at it.
Anywho, animatin' time
CorruptorSS2.jpg

CorruptorSS3.jpg

CorruptorTextureLow.jpg

It's kinda suspicious though, you come out with the model and then the texture in... 5 posts. With no WIPs.

[/conspiracy theory]

Nice job. :)

Level 5
D: Supa, that's awesome! The texture makes it even more awesome, there's some tough competition forming >:eek:

Level 26
Modeling Contest Submission: Demonic Gargoyle

DonDustin presents:
Demonic Gargoyle

Foreword
Today I noticed 1 thing: I always get presents on my Birthday, but I never
give something back on exchange. But this shall end today.

attachment.php

Background
there isn't any lore behind that model, but my intention was to create a
model that could be used as a summon of an experienced warlock, but it
should not only be a pet, but behave like a hero/boss. I also created it,
because I dislike the wc3 gargoyle model as it resembles a bat too much for
my taste. Oh and I always liked the pitlord texture, because it is a nice
example that purple can be really creepy.

Information

• the mesh is made completely from scratch
  • uses ingame textures
  • uses ingame animations (sorceress, shaman, HeroDreadlord, Sasquatch)
  • in-build portrait that uses custom animations (the camera does not work yet for some reason, but once I submit it to the models section, I will search for help to fix it)
attachment.php

Updates

• improved movement of right leg during walk animation (02.08.2010)
  • added custom animations for the legs (03.08.2010)
  • better blood effect upon death (04.08.2010)

I hope you like it and good luck to the other participants :)

Attachments

• DemonicGargoyleIngame.JPG
    DemonicGargoyleIngame.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 20,512
  • DemonicGargoylePreview.jpg
    DemonicGargoylePreview.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 2,317
  • DemonicGargoyle.mdx
    105.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Here is my model.

Merc Ravager
representin.jpg
A grotesque combination metal and flesh, this aircraft utilises the flexibilities and the agility of an organic flyer supported by the tremendous horsepower from its mechanical components.
screen.jpg
The original Ravager, more formally known as Organo, was developed as a cheap way to "grow" planes. The pilot sits in the cockpit with his brain plugged into the brain of the creature. The pilots need to be unplugged and scrubbed down regularly or otherwise face the risk of fusing permanently with the creature. This process called bi-Fusion is outlawed by the authority but for many mercs and pirates who roam the outskirts, bi-Fusion is almost always sought after. Mercs abandon their humanity i order for a complete control over their vehicle.

No two ravagers are identical. Over many years, Ravagers and their pilots will collect and fuse with their spoils, absorbing both organic matters and mechanical components. Things like guns and cannons are added to the current armament while plates of metal stick out from their skin to provide additional protection. Often, other weaker ravagers are hunted down and consumed. Its not suprising to see a Ravager augmented with jet engines, possessing numerous wings or its face completely overwhelmed with firearms and cannons of all sorts.

The portrait file is included in this post. The idea for the portrait came after hearing Mr.Bob complain about how WC never renders as good as he would like. so, i had an idea of making a rendered and shaded image into a model and using that as a portrait. i did the texture so no one part of the face texture is ever used again while things that are not drawn are not shown since portrait is always only viewed from one angle.

The texture and the portrait i think have been the funnest to do.

enjoy.

PS: forgot to add. The model is pretty big so you would want to scale it down when using it.

Attachments

• ravager_portrait.mdx
    22.3 KB · Views: 234
  • Ravager.mdx
    216.4 KB · Views: 252
  • ravager_texture.blp
    215.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
hrmm, this isn't going as well as planned. I don't think I'll be able to finish the jumpluff in time

a lot of the model stuff is bugging me, such as how everything's in one object which makes it all one geoset. And other things as well. Though I have learnt a lot which means next time should be better :D

I'll finish the skiploom and then submit that. I'll probably finish the whole thing later though

hrmm, this isn't going as well as planned. I don't think I'll be able to finish the jumpluff in time

a lot of the model stuff is bugging me, such as how everything's in one object which makes it all one geoset. And other things as well. Though I have learnt a lot which means next time should be better :D

I'll finish the skiploom and then submit that. I'll probably finish the whole thing later though
Just put everything together and make a evolution explosion effect mesh with particles that covers everything in a desired radius.
Then add visibility track (in dope sheet, not the modifier) to root bone of each pokemon and add a 0 keyframe in the beggining of each animation it won't participate (you will only be able to use 0 and 1 if your filter is 2 color alpha). add 1 if it will
in the morph anims add both opening and closing visibility keys for the related pokemon, changing it right in the time you need

Just put everything together and make a evolution explosion effect mesh with particles that covers everything in a desired radius.
Then add visibility track (in dope sheet, not the modifier) to root bone of each pokemon and add a 0 keyframe in the beggining of each animation it won't participate (you will only be able to use 0 and 1 if your filter is 2 color alpha). add 1 if it will
in the morph anims add both opening and closing visibility keys for the related pokemon, changing it right in the time you need

Can I do this in magos as well?

Or if I do it in 3ds max, do I add it to the note track of the specific bone?
(I've never used arttools)

I'm asking if I need to add a note track to the bones I want to hide as well.
not a note track, but a Visibility track.
in Dope Sheet: Tracks > Visibility Track > Add
changing the value of this visibility will affect all children objects, including children bones.

if your object is Opaque, it will only render invisible if visibility value is 0
if it's 2 Color Alpha, it will show invisible if the alpha channel in some pixel is below 75% white
if it's Blend/Additive/etc it will have a smooth transition of visibility

theres a cool trick that can be done with 2 color alpha and linear visibility change.
change your texture, adding some regions with 90% white alpha, some with 80%, or even 76%, in a order of disappearance (less alpha will disappear firstly). then, when you set the transition, parts of the model will start to disappear before the others did :gg:

edit: doing that trick the visibility transition turns out pretty smooth also

Level 51
Charlie the Traveler

Screenshot.jpg
Creators Words
I'm happy I could make the model in time, though,
it still has some problems, like the little bit streched
wrap of the plain and the messy wrap of the place
behind the eyes. I'm hopefully going to fix this, but
for now, this version will do it :)
Hope you like it :) Good luck to all the others :)

Model Data

• 829 faces (Model)
  • 314 faces (Portrait
  • 77.3 kb (Portrait and Model together)
  • Ingame Textures
  • Nearly everything scratch made (except mouse head)
  • Gyrocopter animations

Story

Charlie, once a young mouse that lived
in a little city, hadenough from the barriers
holding him in town. He wanted to discover
the world and travel around at the planet.
He stole a toy-plane from one of the kids
in the city and flew away. Now, his wish
of freedom is fullfilled.

Updates

• Deleted two unused textures. Reduced filesize to: 77.4 kb x]
  • Deleted the unused camera. Reduced filesize to: 77.3 kb :D

Attachments

• Charlie the Traveler.mdx
    51 KB · Views: 157
  • Charlie the Traveler_Portrait.mdx
    26.3 KB · Views: 174
  • BTNCharlieTheTraveler.blp
    4.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DISBTNCharlieTheTraveler.blp
    2.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Submission: Flying Spear Thrower

Eventually I finished my entry: The Flying Spear Thrower

Preview.jpg

Background lore:
Only the stongest warriors can become Flying Spear Throwers, as it requires a lot of strength to hold the kite up in the air. But as the kite doesn't need any noisy engines, the Flying Spear Throwers can follow their prey unrecognized by silently gliding far above it and then striking down unexpected at a low angle. For weight reduction, the warriors are only equiped with light leather armor which however makes them vulnarable to enemy archers. To make up for this weakness they are armed with heavy spears which are fired off by an attached ballista. But because of the fixed angle of the attached ballista the Flying Spear Throwers can just attack ground units and are nearly defencless against other air units.

Model info:
The Flying Spear Thrower model has the standard animations (Stand, Walk, Attack, Death), a portrait camera and uses only ingame textures. I used the spear thrower as basic mesh, but the rest is made from scratch (also the animations). It was created in Gmax and then edited with Notepad. Mdx file and a test map added as attachment, ingame picture comes below.

Ingame.jpg

EDIT: How do I make it that the image shows up full sized?

Attachments

• FlyingSpearThrower.mdx
    109.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Flying Spear Thrower Presentation Map.w3x
    64.2 KB · Views: 125
Status
Not open for further replies.