• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War3 Model Editor

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
//MOD EDIT// - PLEASE CHECK "UPDATE 2" below before posting if you have ISSUES USING MAGOS

This Model Editor is not made by me, but is made by Magos.

War3 Model Editor is as the name suggests a Model Viewer and a Model Editor dedicated to Warcraft 3. It supports both loading and saving of .mdl and .mdx model formats which are used in Warcraft 3. It also supports .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp texture formats.

There is a built-in MPQ Browser that allows you to browse any MPQ archive, which also includes Warcraft 3 map files (.w3m and .w3x). The MPQ Browser has been optimized for speed and is very fast to load and use. The Browser is customizable so you can add/remove your own icons and filters.

Features

* Model Viewer
* Model Editor
* Geoset Importing/Exporting
* Can save/load the model formats *.mdl and *.mdx
* Can save/load the texture formats .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp
* Can import other model formats (importers stored in DLLs)
* Ability to convert between the model formats
* Ability to convert between the texture formats
* MPQ Browser (very fast loading)
* Support for custom listfiles
* Support for custom MPQ filters & icons

Extras

* Loading Screen Creator
* A tool to create colored text for Warcraft 3

Supported Importers

* md2 (Quake 2)
* ms3d (Milkshape)

UPDATE 1 //by Rui​

Hey people, it's Rui. I have updated the tool to v1.07 and added some keywords for searching. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2 //by Khyrberos​

In recent years, both with modern OSes & with Reforged, W3ME might require a few adjustments to work properly.

(Made redundant by update 3)
One common issue over the years was missing DLLs; as described in this post by Hero_Lief and this message by Pyf, the DirectX Installer can be downloaded here. (Alternatively, as Hermit describes here, you can Google & download the specific file 'd3dx_9.dll' needed by W3ME.)

(Doesn't apply to beta v1.08)
A new issue with 1.30+ is its use of the CASC data system, replacing the old MPQ system. As described by Hermit in this post, you will need to have/find a copy of the old MPQs & put them where War3 Model Editor can find them in order for it to work properly. It appears 1.28 files work the best in v1.07

UPDATE 3 //by BogdanW3​

The v1.07 zip has been repacked to include the dll needed to make it run without having to install the DirectX runtime, thank you to @Dr Super Good for noting that that's the proper way to do things now with deprecation of Direct3D9 taking place.

You can now also download a new version, v1.08 beta, which was updated by me (@BogdanW3) and has some nice new, albeit still to be thoroughly tested, features:

* Edit texture paths directly from the textures window (no need for MDL for this)
* Support for v1000 (1.32) and v1100 (1.33, only loading for now) SD MDX models
* DDS texture support
* Hierarchical loading of textures (a texture referenced as tga in a model will no longer fail to load if the file is for example blp)
* Loading assets from CASC (no CASC browser at this time due to library limitations)
* 24 team colours
* Replaceable IDs 36 and 37, as well as a few more event objects are added from entries in the game data (thank you @Hermit)
* And more!

Feel free to contact me if there's any bugs or regressions you wish to report. MagosX has given me permission to post it, so I would like to thank him for that as well as making a great model editor with a very readable codebase!
This version currently works best with 1.29 MPQs or 1.31+ CASC.
Requires the 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 runtime.

PS, applies to all versions of W3ME:​

To set up the War3 Model Editor to load data (be it MPQs, or CASC in v1.08) from a specific folder, you will want to set up the string Registry value InstallPath in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\ to point to the Warcraft 3 data folder you wish to use.
For a more step-by-step explanation, check this comment by StormKnight.

Keywords:
warcraft, 3, III, magos, w3me, editor, model, war3, wc3, mdx
Contents

War3 Model Editor v1.07 (Binary)

War3 Model Editor v1.08 (64-bit, beta) (Binary)

Reviews
PurplePoot: Approved for extreme usefulness, whether as a mapper or a modeler.
Level 6
FRICK YEAH!
If someone doesn't see the file in thier folders, I have a solution!
Go to World Edit and go to Import Manager. Clikc the Import button, then go to the folder it is in. Extract it then. You still won't see it in your folders though. Too kem a while to figure this out. You need to use Import Manager to find and use it (Unless you make a shortcut somewhere, like your desktop).

Level 1
Yeah... same problem

"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

i can't get it open because of the same problem

Level 1
"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing m

"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." Thats what it says when i try to run it!!i have installed it 4 times now and nothing happens. PLEASE help me, i really wanna start modeling:confused::confused::confused:

Level 1
"Unable to open "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Desktop\(Name of folder I have it in)\War3ModelEditor\War3x.mpq"!

This appears when I try to use the MPQ browser which I am under the impression is my way to access the War3 Models I want to use as a start for my custom models.

Level 1
'This application has failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.' Re-installed 4 times, its not happening, how can I fix this ??

Level 3
If you do get the d3dx9_35.dll error dl the file kis40 put on 'dll.rar.rar' and extract it. Then move the 'd3dx9_35.dll' file into the main folder of the warcraft model editor(with the wc model editor file itself)
(If it didn't work try writing something down scrambling all the letters apart from the first and last which need to stay in the same place.

Level 1
"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

The same thing happened to me, plz help lol, I would love to learn how to make models for wc3. I want to make Kenichi models :D lol

Level 2
GUYS ITS ONLY a green screen for me i discovered how to chance the backgraud but i cannt import models PLZ PLZ HELP:OO

Level 2
i downloaded it and i'm not sure what to do i use winRAR CAN ANYONE HELP PLZ

Hi let me help you just download it 3-4 times then download the latest direct x it should work BUT ENTER IT THE SELECT NEW i have a problem with importing but maybe your lucky

Level 1
plz help. I got an error:
Unable to open "warcraft 3 moel editor/Data/SplatData.Txt"!
I already download it 3 times.