• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 17 - Air Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
My model is now wrapped and animated.
I just need now Particles and Sound Effects etc.
Unfortunately I made a big mistake at animating.
The anims are okay, but they're backwards if you understand.
How can I rotate all bones, without having to redo all animations?
I somewhere read about adding a Root bone, but I don't understand what that means.
Can I do it in Magos?
lol, as if you had a lot to lose there. You just rotated 1 bone a bit in the anims.
If I were you, I'd give em one more shot, with correct rotation this time.
Try putting more motion in it, and more sense, too.

Level 31
lol, as if you had a lot to lose there. You just rotated 1 bone a bit in the anims.
If I were you, I'd give em one more shot, with correct rotation this time.
Try putting more motion in it, and more sense, too.

I know my animating skills aren't the best, but I like my anims and when I add particles to them it will look good.
I worked >3 hours on them and I don't want to remake them.

So how do I create this Sequence of the Root bone in Magos?

WIP #2

Capture117.PNG

Level 15
._. oh, im sorry tee.dubs, i thought you were done with it. If you edit the model and resubmit it ill change the link to the new post, you dont have to edit the post

Is it preferred that I post a new one, or update the current post? Editing would be considerably easier on my part, but does it mess up the system somehow?

me luvs eet.
You really know how to animate... so many tentacles. and still, so good looking :ugly:

Thanks man, but we'll see who has the right chops soon enough...

WIP

Lets see how far I get before I give up as usual

Capture116.PNG

hoppip used sweet scent

wild pineco fainted

I know my animating skills aren't the best, but I like my anims and when I add particles to them it will look good.
I worked >3 hours on them and I don't want to remake them.

So how do I create this Sequence of the Root bone in Magos?

3 hours is nothing to spend on a full set of anims. if they're as bad as happysnail says, perhaps you should try them again. Just to give you an idea, i spend maybe 3 hours on EACH animation, and then i redo every one of them again and spend about 3 hours perfecting it. Each animation takes about 8-10 hours generally, but very generally. Of course time expense isn't the best measure of quality but it's a good way to get on the right track.

EDIT: 8-10 hours on and off...

Last edited:
Level 30
3 hours is nothing to spend on a full set of anims. if they're as bad as happysnail says, perhaps you should try them again. Just to give you an idea, i spend maybe 3 hours on EACH animation, and then i redo every one of them again and spend about 3 hours perfecting it. Each animation takes about 8-10 hours generally, but very generally. Of course time expense isn't the best measure of quality but it's a good way to get on the right track.

Holy shit.
10-20 minutes per anim max D;

tee.dubs, you have to keep in mind that a levitating robot such as his is VERY easy to animate, and i have no doubt that 3 hours is a reasonable time spent to animate it.

As for you chilla, for the above reason, your model might not get as high scores as the other ones when it comes to animation complexity, but i think that is unimportant. My little brother loves fallout, and he would love to use your model for his map once it's done. :)
Good luck!

Level 15
tee.dubs, you have to keep in mind that a levitating robot such as his is VERY easy to animate, and i have no doubt that 3 hours is a reasonable time spent to animate it.

For some reason i confused his work for yayoi's zenoth scout, and i didn't even bother to have a look at that either (which i will now). in which case yes, that would be an excessive amount of time to spend and, i think i'll stop digging the hole any deeper and withdraw my statement... I'll make sure i get my facts right next time :hohum:

Level 31
Hey tee.dubs, I didn't want to insult you or something like that.
I just wanted to say, that 3 hours of animating was a lot of time for me.
And I was surprised how much time you spend on your anims.

And for the summer holidays, they will start in 3 days at my region.

I know my animations are basic, but it was still difficult for me and you can't expect animations like anarchianbedlam's or General Frank's from me.

I'm quite happy about my result and every model I animate, makes me better and better.

Sorry again for my rude tone, it wasn't meant bad, but it makes me feel sad and angry if everyone runs down my animations, on which I speant 3 hours, which is very much for my standards.

My particles run out good and I finally found out how to add sounds etc. to my model.
I also fixed the rotation of the animations, now the robot flys forward. :D

Level 26
Don Dustin: i cant quite put my finger on it, but something about your proportions looks a bit off to me. But other than that, you have some excellent UV wrapping there, its looking good

Chilla_Killa: You would do well to remember that this is not a request thread. This is a contest thread. No one here has any obligation to help you in any way. If you have any questions please create a thread in the appropriate forum.

With that being said, i would also like to point out that your question has already been answered. To turn your model 180 degrees without redoing the animations you simply create a bone and make that the "parent bone" of all your other nodes and have that parent bone rotated 180 degrees for all of your animations. It is incredibly simple to do.

Level 26
ye, always had my problems with porportions :/
when I'm finished with the mesh I will just paste some shape-wise fitting wc3 model into it and fix certain parts. But right now I just want to finish it.

Might also make the arms longer.

Level 31
Chilla_Killa: You would do well to remember that this is not a request thread. This is a contest thread. No one here has any obligation to help you in any way. If you have any questions please create a thread in the appropriate forum.

Yes, sorry for that.
There's an even easier way to rotate it.
You just have to select all bones and use the Milkshape Tool "Mirror All"

Level 28
Okay, I finished my model.
I had to hurry a lot because I'm going on holidays on sunday.
I added teamcoloured glow to the drone, but I'm not sure whether it looks good or not.
Which version do you prefer? With TC Heroglow, or without?

I like the one with the glow. Though I can't seem to purge the image of someone peeing on a tree when I see the Spell Slam anim.

Level 30
I have another WIP of my flying machine.
The mesh and texturing is mostly finished.
Now animations and particles have to be done.

@anarchianbedlam: Could you pls also add me to the entries list.
You probably missed my first post on page 13 under the flood of new post^^.

Looks cool but the shield is bullshit. Why would there be a shield there?

Thx for the comments:thumbs_up:

Looks cool but the shield is bullshit. Why would there be a shield there?
Yay you're right, the shield is more or less useless, it's just there for decoration. But I'll probably remove it, because it doesn't fit that well, as you pointed out.

WoW, Massive Master, I really like it :D I suggest changing the bandit head to something else though, cause it doesn't fit that good I think :)
Hmm, why do you think that the bandit head doesn't fit that well, and with what head would you replace it?

Level 31
Because I'm going on vacation in a few days, I have to post my final entry already today.

EyeBot

"The Eyebot is a flying propaganda-spewing robot, similar to the Floating Eye bot, but with whip-like radio antennas resembling long "whiskers" pointing to its back, and loudspeakers in the front. After the Great War, it was used by Enclave forces in the Capital Wasteland by 2277."
Fallout 3 Wiki

Yes, I was inspired by Fallout 3 to make this funny little drone.
The mesh was made in 3DS MAX 9 and wrapped and custom-animated in Milkshape 3D.
It uses only ingame textures.

85729d1279284415-modeling-contest-17-air-units-eyebot.jpg

Here's an ingame screenshot:

85728d1279284415-modeling-contest-17-air-units-eyebotingame.jpg

I hope you like my little robot, I had much fun to make it.

Have a nice vacation!
Greets chilla_killa

Attachments

• EyeBotIngame.jpg
    EyeBotIngame.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 7,901
  • EyeBot.jpg
    EyeBot.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,522
  • EyeBotAnimated.mdx
    43.9 KB · Views: 116
Level 26
A small update from me:

added feet (still have to find a good shape, but for now that's just a minor point on my list), finished the head, improved the wrap of the hands, improved the tinting of the model, changed they eyes to teamcolor and changed some proportions.
The only thing that is really left to add are wings. After that I will rig it and add anims. If I find some more time, I will also add some armor/bracelet to the arm and add some more hair here and there, but this depends on the time I'll still have.

128728-albums637-picture32707.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.