• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War3 Model Editor

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
//MOD EDIT// - PLEASE CHECK "UPDATE 2" below before posting if you have ISSUES USING MAGOS

This Model Editor is not made by me, but is made by Magos.

War3 Model Editor is as the name suggests a Model Viewer and a Model Editor dedicated to Warcraft 3. It supports both loading and saving of .mdl and .mdx model formats which are used in Warcraft 3. It also supports .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp texture formats.

There is a built-in MPQ Browser that allows you to browse any MPQ archive, which also includes Warcraft 3 map files (.w3m and .w3x). The MPQ Browser has been optimized for speed and is very fast to load and use. The Browser is customizable so you can add/remove your own icons and filters.

Features

* Model Viewer
* Model Editor
* Geoset Importing/Exporting
* Can save/load the model formats *.mdl and *.mdx
* Can save/load the texture formats .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp
* Can import other model formats (importers stored in DLLs)
* Ability to convert between the model formats
* Ability to convert between the texture formats
* MPQ Browser (very fast loading)
* Support for custom listfiles
* Support for custom MPQ filters & icons

Extras

* Loading Screen Creator
* A tool to create colored text for Warcraft 3

Supported Importers

* md2 (Quake 2)
* ms3d (Milkshape)

UPDATE 1 //by Rui​

Hey people, it's Rui. I have updated the tool to v1.07 and added some keywords for searching. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2 //by Khyrberos​

In recent years, both with modern OSes & with Reforged, W3ME might require a few adjustments to work properly.

(Made redundant by update 3)
One common issue over the years was missing DLLs; as described in this post by Hero_Lief and this message by Pyf, the DirectX Installer can be downloaded here. (Alternatively, as Hermit describes here, you can Google & download the specific file 'd3dx_9.dll' needed by W3ME.)

(Doesn't apply to beta v1.08)
A new issue with 1.30+ is its use of the CASC data system, replacing the old MPQ system. As described by Hermit in this post, you will need to have/find a copy of the old MPQs & put them where War3 Model Editor can find them in order for it to work properly. It appears 1.28 files work the best in v1.07

UPDATE 3 //by BogdanW3​

The v1.07 zip has been repacked to include the dll needed to make it run without having to install the DirectX runtime, thank you to @Dr Super Good for noting that that's the proper way to do things now with deprecation of Direct3D9 taking place.

You can now also download a new version, v1.08 beta, which was updated by me (@BogdanW3) and has some nice new, albeit still to be thoroughly tested, features:

* Edit texture paths directly from the textures window (no need for MDL for this)
* Support for v1000 (1.32) and v1100 (1.33, only loading for now) SD MDX models
* DDS texture support
* Hierarchical loading of textures (a texture referenced as tga in a model will no longer fail to load if the file is for example blp)
* Loading assets from CASC (no CASC browser at this time due to library limitations)
* 24 team colours
* Replaceable IDs 36 and 37, as well as a few more event objects are added from entries in the game data (thank you @Hermit)
* And more!

Feel free to contact me if there's any bugs or regressions you wish to report. MagosX has given me permission to post it, so I would like to thank him for that as well as making a great model editor with a very readable codebase!
This version currently works best with 1.29 MPQs or 1.31+ CASC.
Requires the 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 runtime.

PS, applies to all versions of W3ME:​

To set up the War3 Model Editor to load data (be it MPQs, or CASC in v1.08) from a specific folder, you will want to set up the string Registry value InstallPath in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\ to point to the Warcraft 3 data folder you wish to use.
For a more step-by-step explanation, check this comment by StormKnight.

Keywords:
warcraft, 3, III, magos, w3me, editor, model, war3, wc3, mdx
Contents

War3 Model Editor v1.07 (Binary)

War3 Model Editor v1.08 (64-bit, beta) (Binary)

Reviews
PurplePoot: Approved for extreme usefulness, whether as a mapper or a modeler.
Level 3
Ehh... Error...

Well... I still like it, BUT...:hohum::confused:
My PC went down twice (nut cuz' of this awzome program), but when i open a model into the program, it is very bad, mostly un-textured (white), bad graphic models i open...:witch_doc_sad:
IDK what'z going on, but if someone could tell me, i would be very happy:grin:

Level 2
Level 13
I've been tring to download this for months now, could someone please help! It keeps complaining about a missing file?:cry:

Level 2
---------------------------
War3ModelEditor.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
-------------------------
this says after i download it please help.....

Level 2
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?d3dx9_35[/url] Click The ' Download d3dx9_35.dll ' Button And When You Get The File, Place it Into the same folder that you have your Model Editor In, This Should Solve The Problem, As It Did For Me.

Goodluck,
~xXSephirothXx

For a whooping 3rd time along with being quoted several times, After this I also give up trying to be helpful to idiots that cant read previous posts. http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?d3dx9_35

Level 2

1. [
    QUOTE=Pillage;560004]"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

PLEASE P.M. me or post back to tell me what's wrong or if you can give me one that you have that works.[/QUOTE]

I have the Same Problem... Help mangos HELP!!!! :cry:

Level 1
hey guyz, i'm new with modeling etc. I just had a shot at modeling, and it worked quite well, but now i got a problem: i edited some textures with gimp, but i dunno how to import the changed ones in my new model. How do i have to do this? plz answer or PM!

greez, Ulti

Level 1
Every time i download it and then extract all files i get an error message saying "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" But i still get the same message after re-installing it. Help please.

Level 3
ahh,, yea... I got this downloaded 3-4 times I think but it doesn't work...

everytime I clicked on it... it says...

Can't find d3dx9_35.dll....something like that.... what should I do to fix this? XD

----------

my own procedure... I copied some DLL files from another computer and there I found d3dx9.dll... I haven't tested it yet... but I hope it works...

and If not... XD I guess I'll be needing your help...(I'm talking to all of you)

thnks...^_^

Level 2
ahh,, yea... I got this downloaded 3-4 times I think but it doesn't work...

everytime I clicked on it... it says...

Can't find d3dx9_35.dll....something like that.... what should I do to fix this? XD

----------

my own procedure... I copied some DLL files from another computer and there I found d3dx9.dll... I haven't tested it yet... but I hope it works...

and If not... XD I guess I'll be needing your help...(I'm talking to all of you)

thnks...^_^

Idiot.

Every time i download it and then extract all files i get an error message saying "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" But i still get the same message after re-installing it. Help please.

Bigger Idiot.

This is s*** i always says like Error dl.3e files couldnt not work or something.... PLEASE TELLE ME WHAT TO DO!

Biggest Idiot.

READ
the
THREAD.

Thanks For trying to help but Ive posted help 4 times now and being quoted several times, Give up like I did, Their stupidity will make you needlessly angry. ^^

Either Way, for Those Of you Who DO read my posts and take my help, Here Again for a 4th Time:
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?d3dx9_35

[Above Link To Download " d3dx9_35 File ", Place in Your Model Editor Folder]

Level 12
It worked for me last time I downloaded it then after my computer has been repaired I lost the model editor and I download it again then it says dll not found.
I don't remember why it worked earlier anyone who knows how to enter it send me a PM.

Level 6
This program is awesome. Easy to learn, easy to use, and a powerful tool. Any questions I've had so far were answered in the Help file that came with it.

HOT DAMN... Using MDX Pather alongside this tool (though I'm starting to think Model Editor can accomplish Pather's task too) and following YoshiRyu's "How to use different skins associated with the same model" tutorial made my mapping so much easier. Thanks for all the hard work you Hive members put into making these awesome tools and tutorials!

Level 1
"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

PLEASE P.M. me or post back to tell me what's wrong or if you can give me one that you have that works.

it does the same to me pls some one tell me wats wrong????

Level 3
To Everyone Who Has Errors

Note! To You All Who Are Having Errors!

-http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en&Hash=HyFSbEpvdxOD9vY9KqBfyRV2ZJ92kOIDRMPcuQUO8djEeiku6uot8a8ihJ1%20yhRAZNAE3gBnMxJplbn9mkK3GDQ==&displaylang=en

^^^
The Above link will fix any errors regarding missing .dll files, or Dirext X . If it doesn't work, PM me! I have the .dll files!

Level 2
Wtf:: "This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

PLEASE P.M. me or post back to tell me what's wrong or if you can give me one that you have that works.

Level 2
Dll File problem

Now its working for me, If the problem is something like This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll or d3dx9.dll(like i had) was not found.

Just go to google and search :fp:''Dll files'' click at the first link and then search after teh dll file you need :grin: