• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft: A New Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you want, the brainstorming sectino is open to everyone, however know this, brainstormers get only one vote, unless they are really awesome. people who do mutiple things get 2 votes. managers get 3. admins get 5. that way, people who are invested in the project get more votes. its not a preccise key, but the more you help, the more voting power you get.

Level 20
Ok, cool. Do you have any need for other skills/positions? Not saying I'll have any but it would be nice to know what your looking for :p

EDIT: Basically I'm am going to have A LOT of free time... 8 weeks or something cool :) And don't have anything to do as of yet, sept two weeks holiday! xD

Sc2 comes out in June? Perfect.

Level 20
Hmm, guess it depends on how big you want this, or how popular it gets.

I'm pretty sure there will be more than one attempt at this, obviously I'm hoping this is 'the one' in which case I can think of several more positions:

Already:

-> Multiple Programmers (triggers/g script)

-> Multiple Terrain/Map Makers

-> Data Editors

-> Managers (probably secondary positions?)

Ideas:

-> 2D graphics Textures/skins (photoshop etc)

-> Models/3D art (No doubt you'll be short on resources, at least to begin with).

-> Beta Testers (at a later date?).

-> Composers (it won't be wc4 with sc music xD).

-> Concept artists (for modeller/terrain reference).

-> Website/Signature maker, e.g. someone with knowledge in action script, html etc...

-> Directors/Designers, kind of similar to managers though in my opinion:

Managers: Who does what, time needs doing in etc...

Directors/Designers: Tell the terrain/triggers etc exactly what they want, "a combat system like this" or "No the music should be more like this..."

Most would see the above as the same I guess... :/

-> Writers - People knowledgable in wc4/3 lore and good English skills, you'll want a couple if you plan on doing a story driven campaign.

And if you REALLY wanted to be fussy, you could divide the above even further, seeing as how complex you can get with the new editor:

UI Design

Battle Director

Sound Mixer/Editor

Cinematic Design

Structure Modelling etc...

What your suggesting is HUGE, so the team will need to be to, I really hope you can pull this off, It would be so awesome o_O

Level 13
I knew something like this would end popping up sooner or later. Kewl.

All I can offer is my imagination, my knowledge of Warcraft lore (pre and post wow) and my newly acquired C skills, which will seem to be useful with the new galaxy code.

Level 20
OK.

I don't have the galaxy editor yet so I refuse to apply for a position related to that (for obvious reasons) but will be more than happy to swap/jump positions as you/directors/managers want once I have a copy of the game.

I would like to apply for the following position/s.

-> Character Design, Story Composer/Vice Director and/or Descriptive writing. (Writing basically...)

-> I will help you with any HTML/JavaScript needs, if any, to the best of my ability, which should increase dramatically from June onwards (assuming you don't require me in the editor).

Reject/Accept as you will, but note that as mentioned I will work on anything else you need as long as I have the software to do so or can afford it.

So for example, I can't work in flash or dream weaver as I don't currently have access to them and don't know anywhere that does them at an affordable price (for me).

Level 20
Uhmm sorry about this, but am I right to think the following:

General Writers: Actually "write" the stories and scripts for ingame characters.

Mini-Writers: Write tooltips/editor writing and perhaps small historic references/loading screen text... quotes and tutorials etc.

Plot Writers: Actually 'design' how the story will pan out, deciding on events, characters, twists and the general plot, then relays this information to the other two?

EDIT: I just thought Plot/General sounded rather similar.

Level 20
Sorry, I was thinking about it.

Seeing as the project is just getting under way and members are sorely needed, should I just apply for them all and do what is needed most at the time? (until you get more people/better structure of what you plan to do).

+ Do I need to do some submission draft as you mentioned via pm?

Level 12
Id like to join as (possibly):
Mini-writer
Brainstormer (half-time)
Beta/Alpha tester (when in that state)

Other than that, I'm not really that much of a use + im busy for some weeks (so i won't have that much time to be online except for weekends)

Level 13
Brainstormer, writer here.

Triggerer as soon as I can get my hands on the galaxy editor.

Ok, Masiah i hope can do atleast a little GUI. and guys, just for some security reasons, this is gonig to be slightyl less democratc thant i intended. but you guys will still ofc hae a massive say in this XD. this is just to make shure we stay on the right track.

tow items i thnk we should cover: this is gonig to be a campaign/coversion of maps to have wc4 races? right? should we add that OPTION to co-op (meaning seperating the maps and using a save/load?

Level 20
Ok, Masiah i hope can do atleast a little GUI. and guys, just for some security reasons, this is gonig to be slightyl less democratc thant i intended. but you guys will still ofc hae a massive say in this XD. this is just to make shure we stay on the right track.

tow items i thnk we should cover: this is gonig to be a campaign/coversion of maps to have wc4 races? right? should we add that OPTION to co-op (meaning seperating the maps and using a save/load?

I wouldn't have it any other way, a project needs a leader, lest the team bickers and argues rather than gets things done.

As for the co-op? I don't know I've only ever played one co-op RTS (halo wars) and it was the biggest fail EVER, but to be fair so was the single player.

I think it's a good idea and would be near effortless to implement, but you would have to have set-up triggers balanced according, or just simply divide the units in half and alternate possession of built buildings.

Level 9
Seems interesting and I would really want to help with something but I'm not sure if I want to commit to anything yet, since I would really want to do a different kind of project of my own. If you need I might be able to help with small tasks (mostly GUI coding), that won't require too much time. That's that for now.

Level 12
Heya,

I was actually really considering such a project myself. I think if done right it could turn out brilliantly. My main concern was the storyline/lore as WoW has really radically changed alot of things.

My first questions would be what races you thinking? The main 4 seemed to work very well and I'd recommend keeping it that way, but say take Undead, would it be the Forsaken now?

I'd really like to help out if given the chance. I'm skilled in triggers, spells, object editor, terrain and ideas/brainstorm.

Also played wc3 heavily and have alot of ideas I think could make the gameplay very fun.

Level 15
Ok UI is going great. Ive figured out how to add most of the stuff needed just haven't executed it.
So Far:
Progress Bars like Health and Mana
Portrait
Buffs/Debuffs
Resources
Unit Stats

Ofc this is only in my head figured out so i will probably run into problems along the way. I have no idea how to make the minimap up there :/

Well great! What positions are you interested in?

Race wise, i was considering the reuglar 4, maybe slightly more fractured.

WoW-wise, WoW is being considered non-Cannonical.

I want the new scourge and arthas to be featured prominatly...

EDIT: Real:

Well they did it in the SC2 ghost mod they showed us so it must be possible....

great work!

Level 15
ya i know its possible just need to figure out how :/ ach well i made some progress bar so far and also a hero selection thing. Just the design in-game though doesn't actually function yet. :D

also what is the expanded Hero Bar? that is for other units? and the middle bar always shows your hero?

Level 12
What would be nice is if unit's could gain experience as well. Perhaps being able to get stronger and evolve up a tier eventually.

Each unit could have say 3 tier maybe more, you need an amount of exp to get up to. So like a random example:

Footman > Vanguard > Warmaster
Knight > Crusader > Templar
(Just random unit names)

===

Also Heroes, perhaps could have a few more abilities (not too many) and can pick 2 maybe 3 to start the game with. Having them more indepth!

Level 12
Oh yea nothing to complex, just perhaps a little stats boost and maybe a low tier passive ability.

Maybe there could be a 'battle experience' as well, along side the general existing 'killing exprience', where you gain a lesser proportion of experience also for being in combat, i.e. dealing and taking damage (with enemy units only).

Level 15
o hey world can i put that image you have in your sig in mine also?

{EDIT}
ok it keeps cutting off... forget it.
ok well i just remembered that right now all the custom UI will be themed based on race... until someone edits the games textures its gonna stay that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 20
Ok, so I booted up wc3 for a bit and checked some of the lore, Arthas will indeed be essential but I'm not sure you'll want to have him playable, although it would be 'awesome' he'd be so OPED. My pc died on me so on an IPod touch now -.-'

I'm assuming all the old favourites will return?

Thrall, Jaina, Tyrande, Kale, Illidan etc? Or shall we fast forward a bit (assuming Arthas doesn't age).

I think there is plenty to work with, I'd love to let Arthas loose now... O.O

Yeah leave the races, keep it familiar yet fresh... Perhaps have naga? Debatable.

My msn is [email protected] but I won't be on till the weekend, want to de-dust my pc, pretty sure that's the problem :/

Status
Not open for further replies.