• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #3 - Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
ronojales, you had better attach it to your post, it might expire in the pastebin and you might get yourself disqualified, like some other entrant did in the previous contest.

Edit: In your Emblur trigger, you still have the description of your previous concept, which used to damage enemies instead of mana burning. Mind changing that. ;)

Level 37
New version, close to final version. I managed to fix a few bugs, improve tooltips, create a somewhat proper test map. The ultimate has been slightly revised. If I fail to post an update, this can be considered as the final version.

We still have 10 hours, right?

Oh, and my hero has Repair ability, just the standard Human peasant ability. Is that allowed? There was some discussion about standard unit abilities, but I don't know what the conclusion was if there ever was one.

EDIT: Map updated. Again.

Attachments

• Hero Contest 3 - Maker.w3x
    303.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Level 8
ronojales, you had better attach it to your post, it might expire in the pastebin and you might get yourself disqualified, like some other entrant did in the previous contest.

Edit: In your Emblur trigger, you still have the description of your previous concept, which used to damage enemies instead of mana burning. Mind changing that. ;)

he did? ok i'll attach my final final entry to this post. :eek:
(good thing the connection still works. maybe i should switch to DSL soon)

-----

This is my final (final) entry:
*did a little fixing and removing and fixing*

View attachment ronojales_HeroContestSubmission00.w3x

Submission

Pharaoh_,
Priest of the Eternal Sun

Pharaoh_.jpg

The Synergy

The Priest of the Eternal Sun has 4 abilities, all of which are binding with each other really well.
Let's have a glance at the abilities:

Mantra of Anubis is a summoning spell, that pauses Pharaoh_, but enhances his armor (the greater the level, the greater the defence bonus). Since he is paused, he cannot be issued any order. He also produces a regenerating aura, up to the damage his summons deal. In practice, the maximum the regeneration aura should get is about 55 life per second. The aura doesn't heal the summons.
Clockgate of Amun Ra is actually a ritual-looking ability, which will prevent enemy units from getting closer to the target location. The Area of Effect is 400. The spell also prevents mana of nearby allies from being used. This may sound really nice, since spells actually cost no mana, but for balance issues, the regeneration of the allies is also paused and they can receive no mana from any source, even from a fountain.

Signet of Aten (Light and Darkness) is an immolation-based ability, which has different effects, up to the time of the day. Whether it's day or night though, this skill grants Pharaoh_ the ability to ignore damage from behind. The ability costs mana per second. If it's day, there is no actual bonus effect, but, if it's a night, the Priest will summon an orb full of dark magic, that will damage nearby enemies.

The Best Alliance

Orcs & Undead.
Pharaoh_'s main ability is his summoning one, so he really has that summoner aspect. Undead, on the other hand, have Necromancers the number 1 summoning unit of the Warcraft III environment. So, the mummies and the skeletons will be a powerful force to destroy whole bases. Obsidian Statues are also a help for health healing, so, within the AoE of Clockgate of Amun Ra, they will heal for no mana cost. Apparently though, their mana heal will not be effective.

Orcs have additional helpful effects that will boost the effectiveness of the hero. Shadow Hunter's ultimate, Big Bad Voodoo grants invulnerability to units around. Τhe mummies will be given invulnerability too, creating a very powerful regenerating aura, through the Mantra of Anubis ability.
Spirit walkers on the other hand will be some exceptional assistance, since their Spirit Link will be a real pain, after the mummies have spawned.
Finally, Shamans, with their Bloodlust abilities, will grant extra attack speed to the mummies, which will result a healing aura with faster potential.

Tactics

How to play the hero properly? Here is a mini-guide:

-----------------

Early game

-----------------

Your main spell for early game (sorry for the DotA tongue, but early game is also defined in the melee maps) is your summoning spell, Mantra of Anubis. Although level is really weak, you still need it, since it also regenerates health for nearby allies.

Your second main spell for early game would be the Clockgate of Amun Ra. This spell helps you survive, since it prevents enemy units from entering the area of effect, while keeping your mana frozen.So, your first synergy would be casting the Clockgate of Amun Ra to stay untouched by melee foes and right after a cast of Mantra of Anubis, which will summon the mummies, while the Clockgate of Amun Ra will prevent the mana from being reduced.

Mana-wise, this hero has potential. It reminds us of the Lich, who is able of converting ally units for regaining mana, although this one has the advantage of not sacrificing a unit and remain untouched by melee units.

-----------------

Early - Mid game (Part 1)

-----------------

When the night comes, you may learn your second, in the list, skill: Signet of Aten. Signet of Aten is a skill that varies from day to night, as, in the night, it produces an additional effect. In both day and night, every damage the hero takes from the back will be ignored (both physical and magical). In the night though, he will summon an orb, that will damage nearby enemies.
NOTICE: The damage of the orb is low, because if we think that basic Immolation abilities cause 10 damage per second and this one is already enhanced with the additional backfacing damage prevention, the damage should be lowered for balancing issues.

-----------------

Early-Mid game (Part 2)

-----------------

You are now level 6; you must not lose your most powerful weapon: your ultimate (Sacred Disvision of Hathor). Your ultimate is an essential tool, since it brings much of power to the hero. The concept in every ultimate of the melee maps is always powerful.
Examples:
• Animate dead -> Summons a bunch of dead units for the owner of the hero that are invulnerable.
• Resurrection -> Brings back to life the nearby dead ally units, but have no expiration timer, as Animate Dead has.
• Bug Bad Voodoo - > Grants invulnerability to nearby units for a long time.
• Voodoo Spirits -> Summons many units that damage nearby enemies, which will heal the hero, once they return to him with an amount almost equal to the damage they dealt.

My points is that all of the ultimates in Melee heroes are powerful, I won't mention all of them.
So, the ultimate has a 50% chance to provide the hero with infinite mana or health. Another considerable point is the fact that the hero is moving periodically, so he has a higher speed. Finally, it grants the owner of the hero visibility all over the map. Its duration is set to 17 seconds.

-----------------

Mid - Late game

-----------------

At this point, you have all of your skillset learned. Let's collect the effects again and talk them out:
• Armor bonus (Mantra of Anubis)
• Healing effect (Mantra of Anubis)
• Inability of melee units to reach you (Clockgate of Amun Ra)
• Damage prevention from the back (Signet of Aten)
• Damage to nearby enemies in the night (Signet of Aten)
• Infinite mana or health (Sacred Disvision of Hathor)

As you can see all of the effects are related to surviveability.

Possibilities

• When you cast Clockgate of Amun Ra, you may have melee attacks disabled, since they cannot reach you, but range units can still attack you. To prevent much of damage in this ocassion, you can either cast Sacred Division of Hathor (your ultimate) to boost your health with an infinite amount or Signet of Aten (to prevent damage from the back) or Mantra of Anubis to boost your armor or all of them. This possibility actually explains how to combine all of the skills together.

• The hero surviveability-wise might seem powerful, but the Strength income per level balances this concept. The abilities might sound overpowered, but when it comes into action, the hero receives the balance he should have.

• Low health can be prevented with your ultimate. Even if you don't get the chance of being boosted with infinite health, you are able of travelling in high speeds, which equals easy escape.

• Prevention of mana being spent: Use Sacred Division of Hathor or Clockgate of Amun Ra.

• Need extra damage? Buy yourself some Moonstone and turn on your Signet of Aten or cast Mantra of Anubis.

• Additional escaping tactic: Summon the clockgate of Amun Ra and let the enemies trying to make their way towards the center of the clock or even forget their order!

Have fun playing ;)

Credits:

NFWar, for producing the icons required for the spells.
Happy Cockroach for his models: Son of Anubis, Headdress of the Immortal, Stick of Rebirth and the corrsesponding icon for Son of Anubis model.

------
Others
------
WILL THE ALMIGHTY for his Black Hole model and his Sun model.
Vexorian for his dummy model.
olofmoleman for his Hail Fire Droid model.
Trollschnitzel for his pyramid model.
Dan van Ohllus for his Riderless Undead Horse model.
JetFangInferno for his Ultimate Water Flash model and his Sand Aura model.
Cion (Bloody) for the tileset of Sand in his open-source map Diablo III Borderlands (I'm afraid I am not aware of the tileset's creator - unless it's him)
Pyritie for the Quick Colorizer application.
The_Reborn_Devil for some feedback.

NCSoft
Dynamedion

Known issues:

The ultimate that provides infinte mana/health does bug (not my fault); when the ability is removed, the maximum mana/health respectively is reduced by some amount, BUT it only happens once (fortunately).

A bit about myself (and the hero of course):

I love Egypt. My nickname is a way to realize that. I am attracted to the glory of that country, in the ancient times. Their history is something I can't describe and their monuments leave me speechless (all of us, I guess). I also like concepts of type incarnation, dead raising, resurrection, lightnings while flying (refer to Storm from X-MEN), swimming at high speeds (some sort of Naga) and earthquakes created by a single person. These features always had been fascinating me in the fantasy world; specifically, darkness had always been dragging my attention. I also like the concept of ghosts, their eternal suffering and the wisdom they bear, due to their torment. They are mysterious, tricky and outstanding.

Since I needed a concept that would fit, I could not possibly create a hero that has egyptian origins (background) and can swim at high speed (not that I could depict a swimming phase in the Wc3 environment, but anyway!). So, I used a hero with egyptian origins that is able of invoking gods for each of his spells. The spells refer to sun and underworld mostly.

Pharaoh vs Common Heroes.png

I am sorry for the big file size, the custom music does add the concept it should have.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Level 7
My Final Entry

Howdy, this is it

Credits for the icons to:

Paladon - Eye for an Eye
4eNNightmare - Repentance
NFWar - Together We Stand
4eNNightmare - Vengeance of the Righteous

I will log in a bit later, if anyone sees anything wrong with my submission please let me know quick! Who knows, might even manage to correct it in time hehe

Thank you, Good luck and Have fun

Attachments

• herocontest.w3x
    312.2 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Level 25
Pharaoh_ not to be a fun spoiler but your hero bugs :p

EDIT:

The bug that is making my 3 skills get disabled is still present and i can't find a solution.

Sadly i may not come to submit an entry if i don't figure it out soon enough.

Attachments

• bugzor.JPG
    bugzor.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 114
Ok, fellas, I changed the hero, so that he is unable of casting spells, when in Mantra of Anubis mode (= petrified). Apparently, the buff "Stunned (Pause)" saves every order your hero has and forces him to carry them out afterwards (this will be my and why not your lesson too ^_^). So, I had to use Soul Burn for that, to silence him.
Thank you for your comments.

pharaoh, when i tested you hero, the orb didn't turn off when it turned day

I know, it isn't supposed to turn off. It just "grabs" the night and turns it into an orb that carries, until the player turns the ability off or he runs our of mana.

I also fixed some tooltips, to make them more comprehensive.

Finally, I reduced the amount of creeps spawned and added a victory condition for the map to have a meaning :p

Edit: The silence prevents Signet of Aten from working. I'll change that too.

Level 1
Final submission.
Fixed game crashing bug, some triggers upgraded, some comments, credits... There are some things that i would like to change, improve, but like always... time, time, time.

The spiders have the soundset of Sorceress. You might wanto to change that.
Sound... I should keep it on next time. Thanks.

What is more, the ultimate should check if your hero is alive to remove the flying dragon, once he dies.

Well the Phoenix(dragon) is like different unit and it attaches itself first to hero and then if hero dies attaches to killing unit and if that unit dies phoenix moves to the other unit to circle around(Angry soul).
In WIP it was not working, trigger was disabled and i think it simply never got turned on...

Attachments

• Hero Contest #3 456564 Final.w3x
    250.9 KB · Views: 224
Level 9
Xilinger, your pyroclasm can be abused. It wouldn't happen much on your test map, but in a full game, one can continually build pyroclasms until you have a 1hitko on the first thing you reach

Level 11
Seriously, I failed at calculating how much time I had left, turns out I still had 3 hours for it, managed to fix my ultimate.

So, here's my entry, I'll make a detailed post about the hero later, going to have dinner now.
Credits can be found in the map.

... still can't believe I made it in time.

Attachments

• HC3_Darkyvm.w3x
    621.1 KB · Views: 70
Level 25
Im so sad my hero came out to be a bulls*it.

Glad to see a several good ones though.
I will stick to 1 spell contests from now on :p

Best of luck.

EDIT:

Can someone here compile my map in JNGP since someone told me it throws them to the main screen and i had this upload error before anyway.

Please post the recompiled map here so i can reupload it and hopefully fix it.
Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.