• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #1 - Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Killer Once again I reiterate to read the first post as it contains the rules. If you had you would know that MIDI files are acceptable and that the end date of the competition is March Third.

Also be sure to post a WiP so that we can verify that you indeed made the song.

Good luck and have fun.

@Dar - read the first page, it has all the information you need to know

Copyright
ID Software (R)
Please dont Modify this in anyway or distribute to the public, deleting 2/8/10
if you break these rules you will be in trouble
Attachment 75084

Plz read message below

Attachment 75083
READ!!!!

DOOM 2 MAP30
BOSS DEMON Noise is this Backwards:
"in order to win this game you must kill me john romero"

THIS ISNT MY MUSIC ITS JUST A THING TO SHOW U!!!!

deleting songs in 2 hours 12 AM
click attachment 75083 and click attachment 75084

OH W8 i found my custom music :D
Attachment 75085

Wait, what? All your links are broken - and you should attach your music directly to the post. I also have a hard time believing that you finished your entire entry within a few hours of your first post.

Level 6
fuck with an accent on the u???[/offtopic]

Anyway, do you really want to risk being disqualified for the sake of not wanting to get off your fat backside and convert one damn file to a better format?

mp3 isn't better format ;]

werewolf, u can convert it, i will be able to hear the difference...

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Sounds nice, I'm in even though this is my second-third post on TheHive

So we basically have to choose a race and compose a track. Piece O' cake

=)

Level 11
Fanny.Shaver, i can't download it.

should have used another uploader, Megaupload or rapidshare maybe?

That's because the server is full, and has 0 spots left for free downloaders. If you retry downloading it once the server isn't full, there shouldn't be a problem.

Level 3
I could try... but I didn't really understand, should it be just a single track matching a picked race or what?

1: did you read the first post?
2: Yes, the point is to make 1 song that fits the theme of any race from wc3 lore (doesn't have to be the playables in the game).
3: The song can be of any sort of style as long as you can connect it to the race by explaining it (all pieces must be accompanied by a written explanation of how it fits the theme)
4: No it doesn't need to fit in with the game music.
5: You must post 1 wip before your final so we can verify its your work and not ripped (someone's already been busted for trying to steal work so don't think no one will notice if you try).
6: If you need a program to get started there is a list of useful programs on the first page, most of them are free while others offer free trials.

Level 12
Meh, I'm tired of waiting for the 28th. Here's my entry.

Songs of the Earth Mother is an orchestral work in the romantic style about the life of a tribe of tauren fifty years before the arrival of the orcs. The piece is in the key of D-flat major, and was composed using Noteworthy Composer.
As soon as I heard of the theme of this contest, I was eager to compose something with a story behind it. I hope that, while simple, you can feel this story through the music, and see what I see when I listen.
Fifty years before the orcs ever set foot on Kalimdor, the proud, gentle giants known as the Tauren roamed the plains of Mulgore. Here we see the sun gently peek over the horizon, as the grass sways in a gentle morning breeze. The gentle silence is broken by the sweet sound of a flute, played by a tauren sitting atop a hill, awakening his brothers and sisters. The tauren rise from their sleep, and venture out from their tents, going about their daily lives. As the sun rises higher into the sky, the drums call out the hunters to pick up their spears. Cheered on by those who stay behind, the hunters rush out of their encampment onto the vast plains. Running across the endless hills, they soon come to a herd of beasts, grazing. At once the tauren charge, and the beasts, spooked, stampede at once. The chase is long and tiring, but soon one beast begins to fall behind the others, and the tauren, seeing their chance, throw their spears. The beast falls, and the tauren rejoice, triumphantly carrying the carcass back to their camp, and offering their thanks to the Earth Mother.[/
This piece is composed for a full orchestra, consisting of strings (16 violins I, 14 violins II, 12 violas, 10 violoncellos, and 8 double basses), two flutes, two oboes, two clarinets in Bb, 2 bassoons, 4 horns in F, 3 trumpets in C, 2 tenor trombones, 1 tuba, two native American flutes, timpani, and other assorted percussion. The strings serve primarily as ambience, while the woodwinds play out the more subtle themes, the brass playing out the loud and bold passages, with the drums accentuating the music all the way with their strong beats.
The tauren have long been my favorite race in the Warcraft universe. So, when I heard that the theme was races, I instantly knew that my composition would be for the tauren. Of course, when I thought of the tauren, two things immediately leapt into my head, native American music, and Antonin Dvorak’s New World Symphony. The latter has been a long-time favorite of mine, and my piece was heavily inspired by it, particularly the second and fourth movements.
But the other half, native American music, was what I worked hard to immerse myself in, and probably the most important part of this piece. For several weeks, I practically lived my life with songs like this, this, this, and this in the background, all the while dissecting the theory behind this music, which remains my favorite type of non-classical music. Thus the main theme of this piece arose, built mainly off of the pentatonic scale used by many a native American tribe. The base tune was actually something I found myself humming which I then fitted to the pentatonic scale, and after that, the rest of the theme just came flowing out. After that, it was a simple process of making a suitable introduction for what I wanted to portray, and then working out the proper harmony for this melody. The rest of the piece simply flowed from there. With the story I wanted to convey in mind, I then set about creating the second theme, which just came to me on the spot, as I was composing. Finally, I worked out the drumbeats. Oddly enough, the beats were simple rhythms I found myself tapping out one day, which I then either layered on top of each other, or a simple beat in the background.

Attachments

• Songs of the Earth Mother Final.zip
    16.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Level 19

Songs of the Earth Mother is an orchestral work in the romantic style about the life of a tribe of tauren fifty years before the arrival of the orcs. The piece is in the key of D-flat major, and was composed using Noteworthy Composer.
As soon as I heard of the theme of this contest, I was eager to compose something with a story behind it. I hope that, while simple, you can feel this story through the music, and see what I see when I listen.
Fifty years before the orcs ever set foot on Kalimdor, the proud, gentle giants known as the Tauren roamed the plains of Mulgore. Here we see the sun gently peek over the horizon, as the grass sways in a gentle morning breeze. The gentle silence is broken by the sweet sound of a flute, played by a tauren sitting atop a hill, awakening his brothers and sisters. The tauren rise from their sleep, and venture out from their tents, going about their daily lives. As the sun rises higher into the sky, the drums call out the hunters to pick up their spears. Cheered on by those who stay behind, the hunters rush out of their encampment onto the vast plains. Running across the endless hills, they soon come to a herd of beasts, grazing. At once the tauren charge, and the beasts, spooked, stampede at once. The chase is long and tiring, but soon one beast begins to fall behind the others, and the tauren, seeing their chance, throw their spears. The beast falls, and the tauren rejoice, triumphantly carrying the carcass back to their camp, and offering their thanks to the Earth Mother.[/
This piece is composed for a full orchestra, consisting of strings (16 violins I, 14 violins II, 12 violas, 10 violoncellos, and 8 double basses), two flutes, two oboes, two clarinets in Bb, 2 bassoons, 4 horns in F, 3 trumpets in C, 2 tenor trombones, 1 tuba, two native American flutes, timpani, and other assorted percussion. The strings serve primarily as ambience, while the woodwinds play out the more subtle themes, the brass playing out the loud and bold passages, with the drums accentuating the music all the way with their strong beats.
The tauren have long been my favorite race in the Warcraft universe. So, when I heard that the theme was races, I instantly knew that my composition would be for the tauren. Of course, when I thought of the tauren, two things immediately leapt into my head, native American music, and Antonin Dvorak’s New World Symphony. The latter has been a long-time favorite of mine, and my piece was heavily inspired by it, particularly the second and fourth movements.
But the other half, native American music, was what I worked hard to immerse myself in, and probably the most important part of this piece. For several weeks, I practically lived my life with songs like this, this, this, and this in the background, all the while dissecting the theory behind this music, which remains my favorite type of non-classical music. Thus the main theme of this piece arose, built mainly off of the pentatonic scale used by many a native American tribe. The base tune was actually something I found myself humming which I then fitted to the pentatonic scale, and after that, the rest of the theme just came flowing out. After that, it was a simple process of making a suitable introduction for what I wanted to portray, and then working out the proper harmony for this melody. The rest of the piece simply flowed from there. With the story I wanted to convey in mind, I then set about creating the second theme, which just came to me on the spot, as I was composing. Finally, I worked out the drumbeats. Oddly enough, the beats were simple rhythms I found myself tapping out one day, which I then either layered on top of each other, or a simple beat in the background.

Oh I love that Cobra!
However I would reduce the volume of the flute (comming in at 0:30) a bit, sometimes it's too loud compared to the strings. I understand it should be louder, but this is too loud sometimes.
At 1:48 a fast drumrythm starts. I would cut te notes in half there. I would use 8th notes instead of 16th if you know what i mean. It's a bit too... hmm... It's more orcish or trollish to use fast drumrythms, I think tauren fit more with slower rythms. And it is a bit too... rushy or how you call it. That 1:48 drumgroove is a bit rushy. (at 3:43 aswel)

I really like the end btw the big boing, fits really well:D:D

So well. That was a littlebit of critique, but dont get me wrong. I really like your submission so far!

About my own submission.
Recently I had no time to work on it yet because my dad had been very busy with using the music studio for his own works. He's going away on a 4 day holiday now so I will be able to use his studio for the entire weekend so will start working on it. (He's a drummer and has a pretty big studio with recording stuff + cubase so I can compose stuff myself but as long as he is practising or drumming himself I won't be able to go in there:))

Level 6

well, overall it certainly is a good song (though it felt a bit like pocahontas, but i guess it should feel that way). However, it is a bit long, if you ask me it might as well and at 3:04. You could remove some of the repeating melodies during the first part (before 3:04) and add some of the melodies in the second part to make it shorter, because right now it is a bit long, and not many people want to listen to long songs (except classical composers, but they're a different story).

Anyway, a good song.

Level 19
well, overall it certainly is a good song (though it felt a bit like pocahontas, but i guess it should feel that way). However, it is a bit long, if you ask me it might as well and at 3:04. You could remove some of the repeating melodies during the first part (before 3:04) and add some of the melodies in the second part to make it shorter, because right now it is a bit long, and not many people want to listen to long songs (except classical composers, but they're a different story).

Anyway, a good song.

Long isnt bad. Long is good.
The contest here is to make gaming music that fits within wc3. Means background music. Means long = good. I would support long music rather then to downgrade it.
And if not many people want to listen to long songs, then those people shouldn't enter a music contest because if you like music you will take the time to listen to it, if you don't like it then don't join a contest.

The contest here is to make gaming music that fits within wc3. Means background music. Means long = good. I would support long music rather then to downgrade it.

You completely missed the point of this contest. How many times do I have to say it, THE MUSIC DOES NOT HAVE TO BE BACKGROUND MUSIC. Cobra's style is Cobra's style and there's nothing wrong with that. It can be background music if you want it to be background music but this is a music contest, not a wc3 background music contest.

Level 19
You completely missed the point of this contest. How many times do I have to say it, THE MUSIC DOES NOT HAVE TO BE BACKGROUND MUSIC. Cobra's style is Cobra's style and there's nothing wrong with that. It can be background music if you want it to be background music but this is a music contest, not a wc3 background music contest.

I feel sorry for you.

Level 48
Teuncreemers... I honestly don't see your point. The next music contest might be about background music, but this one isn't. So saying that a track doesn't fits as a background music is completely unrelated and you should not rate pieces of music in this contest by how well they fit in-game. Read the first page, please.

Level 19
Teuncreemers... I honestly don't see your point. The next music contest might be about background music, but this one isn't. So saying that a track doesn't fits as a background music is completely unrelated and you should not rate pieces of music in this contest by how well they fit in-game. Read the first page, please.

I am only defending Cobra because someone criticised his work with the argument it was too long. And I said having a long piece as background music is a very good thing, not a bad thing.
Oke I misunderstood this contest, I thought it had to be background music for wc3 games, but still it's not forbidden to make background music for it. So still EMPerror's argument wasn't correctly.

If you want to caps spam at me because I made a reading mistake then go ahead, but you can't attack the statement I just made because background music is still allowed to make in here.

So once again, I feel sorry for you if you are on the edge of exploding because I missread something.

Sorry maybe I came on to strong, but I'm really getting tired of people not reading the rules (not saying you didn't but I've answered the same questions many times). And then we had this huge argument about whether or not electronic music was good or not because someone else kept trying to insist that this is a background music contest.

Yes, Cobra's music is perfectly fine for it's length. And hey, it's not EMPerror who's judging the contest.

Sorry, I'm just getting really tired of answering the same exact questions

Level 19
Sorry maybe I came on to strong, but I'm really getting tired of people not reading the rules (not saying you didn't but I've answered the same questions many times). And then we had this huge argument about whether or not electronic music was good or not because someone else kept trying to insist that this is a background music contest.

Yes, Cobra's music is perfectly fine for it's length. And hey, it's not EMPerror who's judging the contest.

Hehe oke np:)
I suppose we misunderstood eachother:grin:

Btw. Im going to work on my submission the rest of the evening, hopefully I can show a WIP tonight.

Level 26

To clarify, i did not insist that this was a background music contest, i had assumed that when you make a song for a wc3 race... that it would fit into wc3.

:/ regardless, it doesnt matter, the music is still good. Just... unexpected. Good luck to contestants

Level 19
Oke. So here is what I worked on so far. Think this took me ~90min in total.
It's still a wip and faaaaar from done, this will maybe be 1/3 of the entire song but still I wanted to let you hear my WIP.
I don't know which race fits best with this, but I am having doubts between elves and humans. So maybe high elves?

I couldn't upload .wma in here, so I uploaded in a pastebin. You can download the song here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=id9aq0

What do you think of it so far?

I was inspired by the lord of the rings (rohan) music when I made this.

Level 19
Windows
Media
Audio? What do you have, a MAC?

I recorded it with a really old version of cubase (on the atari lolol). Thats why it might be a bit old, but my Windows Media Player is able to play wma..
Hmm I can try to find something to convert it, anyone knows a converter program?

Level 19
Oh, nevermind. Firefox was causing some troubles. Yeah, I get it now. :p

Sounds very Jungle-ish. I don't know what race it could fit, to be honest.

Yeah well. When I'm listening to it I start thinking about wood elves. 2bad warcraft doesn't have wood elves. Night Elves aren't like wood elves...

I get it!!! Furbolgs. I think the furbolgs (ashenvale) would fit with the theme quite well.

Level 8
I have confirmed my ability to join this contest...as long as the right to use noteflight.com is approved. You are required to join the site; however, its free, fast, and shouldnt take you any longer than it would take you to download a file. You simply join, sign-in, and type the name of the score into the search field.

I have confirmed my ability to join this contest...as long as the right to use noteflight.com is approved. You are required to join the site; however, its free, fast, and shouldnt take you any longer than it would take you to download a file. You simply join, sign-in, and type the name of the score into the search field.

I don't like that - I'll need to get some opinions but requiring people to join a site just to hear your song is not good, even if it is fast or free (my guess is it requires your email and that can become a pain). Anyway you can record it playing through your speakers with your phone or something?

Level 8
Recording it through my speakers is possible; however, I'd be sacrificing quality. And switching to another medium now is just not practical, as I've already written close to half the song. Sidenote: It is a Silvermoon trio, consisting of a violin, cello, and piano accompaniment. The song's name is Skies of Gold, a mellow, slow piece. But, if the majority rule against it, I suppose I could record it, though I may need to purchase semi-professional equipment. Ah well, I meant to do so eventually, anyway.

Level 8
Well, I changed up the song and its attitude. Still a trio, but the song's name is now Omens (originally the name of a song I'm composing for FoD), and is no longer private, so others may now comment on and view my work. Just head over to noteflight.com, make an account, and search for Omens W.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.