• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept-Art Contest #4 - EVOLUTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
started colouring Stage II...
Edit... I goes to sleep. Wonz get further than this tonight->

I like the crab idea and the style you're coloring stuff, with those step-by-step paintings and how it's getting better and better ;) with those funny little color palettes in the corner =)

It's getting more to a Dragon now, but still needs a lot to do,
but I have to stand up early.. so this is it for today.. I'm not that good in coloring stuff :(
Here's my Step3 WIP:

Attachments

• Step3_WIP.jpg
    Step3_WIP.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I like the crab idea and the style you're coloring stuff, with those step-by-step paintings and how it's getting better and better ;) with those funny little color palettes in the corner =)

It's getting more to a Dragon now, but still needs a lot to do,
but I have to stand up early.. so this is it for today.. I'm not that good in coloring stuff :(
Here's my Step3 WIP:

i think you should make it blue

Level 11
Here my 3 evolution stage, but i think the concept not really suit the title of "evolution"

so i try to redraw it. :cry:

Attachments

• BeeWind.jpg
    BeeWind.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Gryphon Bee.JPG
    Gryphon Bee.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Commander.JPG
    Commander.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 119
Level 2
Here's W.I.P 2 for the second stage of my creature. The completed first stage is lost somewhere in the other pages. I haven't finished colouring his horns and weapon, but I'll do it A.S.A.P so I can start shading immediately. I hope I can make it for the deadline... it's taking too long to draw. Anyways, please tell me whether I'm on the right track for my creature. Thanks!

Edit : I found the first stage of my creature, if you'd like to see it, it's on page 27.

Attachments

• WIP 2.1.png
    WIP 2.1.png
    298.3 KB · Views: 239
Here my 3 evolution stage, but i think the concept not really suit the title of "evolution"

Na dude, loads of the creatures (including mine) shown dont realy 'evolve'... and urs looks realy awsome right now. dont mess it up.

EDIT: Current situation on all 3 stages (Stage 3 is in a small ship/boat)

Attachments

• All b.jpg
    All b.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Here's W.I.P 2 for the second stage of my creature. The completed first stage is lost somewhere in the other pages. I haven't finished colouring his horns and weapon, but I'll do it A.S.A.P so I can start shading immediately. I hope I can make it for the deadline... it's taking too long to draw. Anyways, please tell me whether I'm on the right track for my creature. Thanks!

Edit : I found the first stage of my creature, if you'd like to see it, it's on page 27.

Pretty cool, a normally tired concept of a Guitar being both literally and metaphorically an Axe but It works and goes great with your creature since, well it doesn't seem out of place (Random Human guy with Guitar Axe = Normally a Fail, Sound Demon evolving into Metal god with Guitar Axe = Epic Win)

Level 35

Not no really. Its fine, although I believe second and first is slightly to different from each other, it is way more "noble" in the second one.

Na dude, loads of the creatures (including mine) shown don't really 'evolve'... and yours looks really awesome right now. don't mess it up.

EDIT: Current situation on all 3 stages (Stage 3 is in a small ship/boat)

Bloody Nice! Can't wait for the last evolution in color.

(Maybe you could even turn them into a nice desktop screen (Would love to have one or all of them as such)) :thumbs_up:

Level 18
Pretty cool the crabs, but the more I look at them the more it seems that it's just the same crab, that changes his house to a larger one and with that raises a bit more and gains more spikes and stuff.. but yeah it's also a kinda evolution, which looks cool baesd on a good idea :)

However, worked a bit more on my 3rd stage, here's another WIP:

Attachments

• Step3_WIP#2.jpg
    Step3_WIP#2.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 194
This is art theft: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1402029-post566.html

He has been disqualified

(thanks kimberly for pointing that out)

Pretty cool the crabs, but the more I look at them the more it seems that it's just the same crab, that changes his house to a larger one and with that raises a bit more and gains more spikes and stuff.. but yeah it's also a kinda evolution, which looks cool baesd on a good idea :)

However, worked a bit more on my 3rd stage, here's another WIP:

nobody said you could trace that by the way

Level 45
Guys. Copying/Tracing/Eyeball Tracing is NOT a valid entry.
This contest is about using your OWN ideas NOT based on others. It is a CONCEPT art contest, meaning you come up with your own designs and do NOT base them on someone elses concept, eg A current digimon.

Copying the pose, and not JUST the pose, but the linework/art and then changing the horns, toes and colour is still considered a form of them as you are based your concept on others and changing minor things to give them YOUR ownership which isnt right.

If you made sonic green and gave him spots does that mean you own all rights to that character? No, it doesnt. You took more than 80% of the entire composition that doesn't belong to you.

Here is an "example" of what NOT to do in this contest:
Find a generic picture of a dragon, digimon, pokemon etc
ORIGINAL.jpg

Then trace over it (good or bad), change the colours, change his claws/toes, give him horns and add patterns on him.
BAD.jpg

As you can see, the composition still does not belong to you.
SEEBAD.jpg

Why is this bad?
1.Is considered theft here in contests asking for your own concepts.
2.Its NOT apart of your original design, you are using someone elses.
3.It gives a VERY unfair advantage compared to people who are basing their compositions on their ideas and their own skill while you copy someone elses who has the ability to define good composition

This comment comes from talking to Pyritie. I am not a judge of this contest and do not claim to own this contest, but I am here to find people who steal other peoples concepts, designs or art.

Level 18
nobody said you could trace that by the way

just thought it :p
Just used it to experience coloring on PC a bit more, never done this before.
It was just a mather of time, someone really noticed the pic and the pose and
says that it's art theft, althouth I tried to redraw it my own and not trace it, first
made it on paper and scanned it, worked with it.
However I'll finish this and redraw it with another pose.

how do you even know about things like this?

They use google :wink: Just searching around for a short period of time can catch a lot. And they do also see a lot of art everyday so they have a good deal of knowledge about where the art could have appeared from.

oh noes!... does that mean you guys googeld "Awsom Crab thats gonna win art contest"^^

Level 2
To all the members here of the Hive Workshop.

First and foremost, I'd like to say that I apologize for the art theft that I committed, and I'd also like to say that it was the first. I admit, that day I made the second stage I was stumped on how to make it look more interesting from the first stage of my creature(Which is 100% thought of by me), and I just couldn't get anything into my head. So I fell into temptation and committed the theft. I would like to apologize again, and hope that everyone can forgive me. I have been making honest art all my life up till now, but I still hope that you can forgive me. It will not happen again , I promise.

To all the members here of the Hive Workshop.

First and foremost, I'd like to say that I apologize for the art theft that I committed, and I'd also like to say that it was the first. I admit, that day I made the second stage I was stumped on how to make it look more interesting from the first stage of my creature(Which is 100% thought of by me), and I just couldn't get anything into my head. So I fell into temptation and committed the theft. I would like to apologize again, and hope that everyone can forgive me. I have been making honest art all my life up till now, but I still hope that you can forgive me. It will not happen again , I promise.

Thank you for apologising :D

just thought it :p
Just used it to experience coloring on PC a bit more, never done this before.
It was just a mather of time, someone really noticed the pic and the pose and
says that it's art theft, althouth I tried to redraw it my own and not trace it, first
made it on paper and scanned it, worked with it.
However I'll finish this and redraw it with another pose.

We found the original by the way: http://www.blackdragon05.de/Home/Bilder/Black-Dragon-Alt_cover_sketch1.jpg

(well actually communist_orc did)

His head looks kinda... out of place. I like the one-eyed version you used for the first stage. A crab with a neck just looks silly though.

Who sayed it was a crab? ^^ Na, i get your point. But if the eye(s) r attached to the body theyd bee in the ship... ergo, we´d have a ship/boat with legs & claws... thad would just look silly^^
heres a rough colour concept. have to go soooo last pick 4 today. enjoy & critisize!

god speed

Attachments

• Stage 3 c.jpg
    Stage 3 c.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 83
Level 11
Who sayed it was a crab? ^^ Na, i get your point. But if the eye(s) r attached to the body theyd bee in the ship... ergo, we´d have a ship/boat with legs & claws... thad would just look silly^^
heres a rough colour concept. have to go soooo last pick 4 today. enjoy & critisize!

god speed

Maybe have the eyestalks poking out of seperate holes. Or his head breaking thru the side of the ship where that awkward little claw is currently trying to bust into the foreground :p

Level 16
I'm finalizing my submission

183523-albums2574-picture21189.jpg

183523-albums2574-picture21188.jpg

183523-albums2574-picture21187.jpg

183523-albums2574-picture21190.jpg

EDIT: To think of it, WherewolfTherewolf and SpEtNeZz are right. So, THIS IS NOT FINAL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.