• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept-Art Contest #4 - EVOLUTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Sounds fun, but what kind of artworks are allowed, I mean, I couldn't understand that part..
And what happens if you lose? you lose reps?

I think nearly everything is allowed as long as it has to do with evolution.
If you lose you just didn't win. Nothing happens. :p

Level 8
some wips and some finnished

Attachments

• contest1.jpg
    contest1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 155
  • contest2.jpg
    contest2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 139
  • contest3.jpg
    contest3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 168
  • contest5.jpg
    contest5.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 169
If your going in that direction I really don't think you'll lose points there. The final work is meant to be an overall concept, and not a bunch of pieces. With this in mind it shouldn't really matter if one of the stages looks slightly like something else. Also your thing looks pretty different, just because its blue and snake like doesn't mean its a rip.

Oh well, I'll just try. I might win for variation from others! I might put faces on my 'Objects' to make them creatures!

Things its going to be judged on:

Do the creatures follow realistic anatomy? Like if the structure of the design is balanced and aesthetically pleasing.
How inventive are the creatures? Is it a generic genetic mashup?
How well are the creatures shown to evolve? Do they have traits of their predecessors?

Objects don't exactly have anatomy. I guess you could do like a robot or elemental but I doubt you'll get any points for an object.

I'd have to say that pistols weren't used exclusively by criminals.

to post a pic, go to the place and right click the pic. Click copy image location then come here and click the icon that looks like the clip art icon (the mountains with the sun in the corner) and paste that where it says to type the address.

What exactly is a Gauss Rifle? I'd imagine that it shoots some form of gas from the name but your insinuating that it uses magnets instead of gunpowder (A magnet gun would be awesome, you could pretty much shoot anything you wanted to - hello gravity gun).

ok. personally, this is getting ridiculous. not trying to ruin anybody's day or anything but...
"Contestants will create a creature, then 2 additional evolutions for it"
What is so hard to understand about the CREATURE part. A creature shall EVOLVE, from one form to another more improved form, a form more adapted to whatever it does. this means organic creatures, robots, elemetals, some sort of monsters. guns do not evolve on their own means

Level 11
Yesh! I finally got a spark of inspiration during some doodling. I give you... Recyclops!

A little salvage-bot that progressively upgrades itself with scrap metal and other trash. The Office gave me the idea for the name. Here's the first sketch of him. I'll hopefully have time and motivation to make more detailed drawings of all three.

Attachments

• conceptcontest.jpg
    conceptcontest.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 537
ok. personally, this is getting ridiculous. not trying to ruin anybody's day or anything but...
"Contestants will create a creature, then 2 additional evolutions for it"
What is so hard to understand about the CREATURE part. A creature shall EVOLVE, from one form to another more improved form, a form more adapted to whatever it does. this means organic creatures, robots, elemetals, some sort of monsters. guns do not evolve on their own means

Mh, I forgot it said only two evolutions >__>

Level 11
Ok, there you go. I don't mind for points or anything, but it still has an extensive timeline and information. Still not creatures though =[
BTW, I don't know how to attach a picture, so it's a link. Sorry.
Click here! (Goes to ImageShack)

C'monnnnn. Not trying to be rude or anything, I see where you were going with this, but it doesnt quite fit the idea of the contest, IMO. But mainly I'm commenting because the dates are crazy-off. The middle ages didnt end around the 1850s, and the 1800s was not when knights wheeled around cannons to siege castles. :p You're a few good hundred years off.

[/rant]

Level 10
C'monnnnn. Not trying to be rude or anything, I see where you were going with this, but it doesnt quite fit the idea of the contest, IMO. But mainly I'm commenting because the dates are crazy-off. The middle ages didnt end around the 1850s, and the 1800s was not when knights wheeled around cannons to siege castles. :p You're a few good hundred years off.

[/rant]

I agree, get that technological crap outta here, this is a place for nature not science! :thumbs_down:

Only two evolutions seems a little limiting. Evolution takes millions of years and thousands of, lets say, "phases". At least for here can we use more then 3 phases?
I think we were thinking more along the lines of pokémon or zerg races or some sort of upgrade, not evolution in the biological sense. (Although you could do that too if you wanted)

Btw, that Dragon looks a bit, too happy for your avatar Pyritie...........

Nonsense!

When I said too, I guess I should have emphasized toooooooooooooo, like its got a little secret that it'd love to tell you to see the look on your face but feels like its best to just let you guess what it's thinking since its better you don't see whats going to happen coming.

I was originally thinking more of a pokemon sense, but still limiting to 2 evolutions still seems a little limited. Would we lose any consideration if ended up being like 3 or 4 evolutions?

Yesh! I finally got a spark of inspiration during some doodling. I give you... Recyclops!

A little salvage-bot that progressively upgrades itself with scrap metal and other trash. The Office gave me the idea for the name. Here's the first sketch of him. I'll hopefully have time and motivation to make more detailed drawings of all three.

you copycat :p

Level 11
Just the name, I swear! lol. Though I suppose I could give him a backstory of being built to protect the environment by reusing old parts, yet, over time he realized that the only way to save the earth would be to destroy the humans, so he weaponized himself. Huzzah!

When I said too, I guess I should have emphasized toooooooooooooo, like its got a little secret that it'd love to tell you to see the look on your face but feels like its best to just let you guess what it's thinking since its better you don't see whats going to happen coming.

Best explanation for my avatar ever. :D

Level 11
Heres my finished version of first level of evolution, i might change few things, I'm rethinking next steps of evolution, I wanted to make next step with 3 eyes bigger body and bigger shell, and next with even bigger body 7 eyes 3 whips..., but I dont want to look like growing up so I might add legs or something to 2nd lvl of evolution. Or you coud give me ideas...

Edit: Nvm i came up with new concept.

Attachments

• lvl1 finished.png
    lvl1 finished.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.