• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race Building Contest #3 - Mini Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
ok ok, since some people mentioned the difficulty of getting my race to start up, i went through real quick and added the gui selection triggers.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE FINAL. this map is a disease, i've thought about wazzz's comments, and i do see some errors on my part, and will use those next time, and in my projects.

good luck to everyone, ill ask the mods around to see if they can get the poll up and running.

VsNe.jpg

VsUndead2.jpg

VsBase.jpg

VsUndead1.jpg

VsUndead3.jpg

VsUndead4.jpg

VsVolley%21.jpg

edit:screenies

Attachments

• Racebuilding Contest - Ghost765.w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Level 19
Reviews

Stanakin:
I enjoyed playing your race very much. It had a nice selection of icons, models and buildings which all fitted the theme rather well. I enjoyed the way that you had arranged the race and found it somewhat interesting. All in all it was a good race. Your abilities were decent, but not very original though, and I found a major flaw in the starting triggers. I selected to play as kobolds, but kept my orc great hall, and the town hall/gold mine was moved closer to the front of my base. I give it a 14/20.

Veljkom:
Your race was really good, it had that murloc feel to it, and you made very excellent use of the already ingame models as well as the imported material. I liked the abilities and loved to jump around with my melee fighters. I cannot point out anything bad about the race, and overall it was a very funny race to play. 18/20.

Pippo:
Your race was good, but it lacked a certain feel to it. Most of the units and buildings incorporated very well with the theme, but some did not. I liked all the icons you made for it, and the building selection was nice, EXCEPT for the log, how the hell does a log produce food for trolls? I really think that a race’s food producer should represent a need for the race, such as my race’s butchery, which provides meat for the troops, or Supertoinkz’ energy reactor which provides his race with the energy it needs to run it technologies. I did not like the Cave troll, nor did I like the bat troll and headhunter-like unit either, and I think that these units are unnecessary and kind of rip-off from existing melee races. I found the enforcer and raptor rider units really unneeded, but I liked the Bear rider very much. Overall I think your race was nice and rates it 12/20.

Zpider:
I really enjoyed this race, it had a good feel to it, but the buildings weren’t as trollish as Pippo’s, which I think fitted better to the race. I did like your use of the centaur buildings, which in my opinion fits the race very well. The units were well executed and fitted the theme, and the abilities of your units and the hero in particular was very good. I liked the forest beast unit very much, and found it very interesting and fitting surprisingly well. I did think that your armour upgrades could have been placed better, and did you have any weapon upgrades at all? I think you made a good job, and I rate it 16/20.

Supertoinkz:
I liked the mech-elves very much and found it well executed, I liked the eyecandy and the destroyer unit. I think you did a good job with the ingame material provided and noticed very little imported material. I find your race connected and united, and I really enjoyed playing it. I liked the Hero very much aswell as its abilities, protoss anyone^^, I rate your race 16,5/20.

X-OMG-X:
I did not like the Hell race very much, but that’s because the feel of it really don’t suit my taste. The feel of the race captured the theme very well, and the race was very well executed. I did like your hero abilities very much and enjoyed playing the race even though I didn’t like the feel of it. I rate your race 13/20.

Chilla Killa:
I think you did a great job man, but I really wish you could have polished and backtracked some of your units as I dislike seeing inaccurate tooltips and the fact that the flamy tower has the magic sentry ability left from the guard tower. These are small mistakes however and do not really inflict much to the game play. I really liked your building selection, but I’m not a particular fan of the names such as: Power of Volcano, Doom of Fire and flamy tower. I did like your food producer and I think that your units really fitted the theme rather well. I liked the hero and wishes he’d had some triggered or more original abilities. I liked your race very well and rates it 17/20.

Martin Barbov:
I found your race an interesting concept which, if had been started at the beginning of the competition, really could have grown into something really nice. At the moment it is too unbalanced though, I hatched another queen, located the enemy’s base early in the game and flooded it with protectors built in the middle of their base. But hey, the race got potential, and it certainly is good for 2 days of work. I rate it 6/20

I wish you all good luck, and more reviews will come soon.

Good job everybody:thumbs_up:

Level 35
~x-omg-x

RED BARON, lol nice race man! I really enjoyed it and i just played it for about one hour :p I love the concept about how you create the buildings, but i would like to see some more units, buildings and upgrades. Also the fuse ability was buggy. Try to select a pool and cast fusion on a goo unit. Then it spawns a buildings - but not even near your base! I think the screen shot shows it all :p
attachment.php

Anyways, i did enjoy the race and the concept is really nice. A high rating from me. (If there was some more units/buildings/abilities/upgrades)

Good thing I fixed that bug then in the last version :wink: Oh and I did also change something else... The bug where one can move the pool by spawning the unit on top of it still remains though, as I decided not to change anything else as I consider the deadline for over. thanks mate ;) I too wished I had more units and upgrades in.. the idea was to use the attached model as a Goo mage (its made by Jigrael and I even credit it in map - (I only changed it slightly)) with some Goo related spell.. but his model crashed my map for weird reason:hohum: and didn't have time to fix it. :wink:

Will post reviews tomorrow, I managed to close my Internet while writing :cry:

I wrote a freaking page |:C

Bad luck (I also changed the quote so it can't be misunderstood. :grin:)

Looking forward to see you judgment of mine (remember to get the map posted on the 9th as it is the most bug free).

Ok ok, since some people mentioned the difficulty of getting my race to start up, i went through real quick and added the GUI selection triggers.

Still hoping for at least one judge

I'll try to do something about my map either ..

Meaning you will do something about your map or meaning that you won't do something about it? :confused: Maybe you wanted the word "either" to be "as well"

Level 35
Not everything. I know I've mentioned this before, but people seem to overlook this a lot in Stanakin's race. When you want to build a Kobold Worker or perform a research or something from the Mine building, you stop aquiring gold. This is devastating for the melee game as this flaw leaves you economically behind. As for fixes, I have no suggestions other than making it so that you hire the Workers from that building instead. As for fixing the researches, tho, the only solutions I know of would be either to increase their cost and have them occur insantly, or just to have them in another building.

Not everything. I know I've mentioned this before, but people seem to overlook this a lot in Stanakin's race. When you want to build a Kobold Worker or perform a research or something from the Mine building, you stop aquiring gold. This is devastating for the melee game as this flaw leaves you economically behind. As for fixes, I have no suggestions other than making it so that you hire the Workers from that building instead. As for fixing the researches, tho, the only solutions I know of would be either to increase their cost and have them occur insantly, or just to have them in another building.

I wouldnt call it a problem. It just makes the strategy different. I allready know it and i also think i mentoded it in my review. Anyways i dont think its a bad thing. More like a harder strategy.

Level 35
You do realize how ridiculous that sounds. From a tactical perspective, every race gets their gold uninterrupted. The Kobolds have to stop mining to get gold. Nothing has been done to make the requirement for gold a little stressful. So, when you say 'More like a harder strategy', it makes me think 'what is this guy on about? Does he even know what he's talking about? I mean, come on, every race but this one gets their gold the same way, yet nothing has been done to make things easier on that part?'

I actually liked the Kobold race and I found this idea of the townhall being a goldmine quite unique. The gameplay issue is a fact that should not let you unconcerned, you could at least make an invisible unit in the position of the townhall that works like the townhall (concerning the return gold and lumber ability) that has the pathing of the townhall, leaving the townhall's pathing to None. Then, once the townhall dies, the invisible unit will also die.

Level 35
@Pharaoh_: I never said it wasn't a unique addition. In fact, I've said on many occasions how much I loved that feature. However, everytime I said that it was closely followed by it being a wonderful prospect that has never been done before, leaving it with a couple of bugs that require fixing. Which can be fixed, we just don't know how yet :(

@Stanakin: Well, you have my suggestions, but they aren't great I must confess :(

The race is basically just the normal naga race with some modifications and new models.

It is not a modified naga race. The only units which originally come from naga are Warriors, Townhall, Altar and Fountain. I have changed the race of other units to ease my work

You added a extra goldmine, thats not allowed

Play the race as Human. Nightelf and undead make problems like that.

Why are all the buildings so huge?! I need a lot more space for those huge buildings

There is only 1 huge building which is Shrine. But I didn't have problems like that during playing.

I agree with the rest of your opinions. Especially about spelling errors.

New reviews!

I've made 4 new reviews. More reviews is coming.
Click here to go to the review post. The post is the place where all my reviews is listed. You can easiliy find your name on the list and click the hidden tag.
I hope you will like it.

The following players is on the list:
Supertoinks, Zpider, Wraithling, Pippo, Mr.Goblin, Stanakin Skywalker, REDBARON, Xiliger, Master of Eagles, Pharaoh_, chilla_killa, Ghost765.

The following players will be reviewed:
Wazzz, Gyrosphinx, Mage_Goo, Veljkom, Martin Barbov.

Notice: I will edit the lists above when i have done more reviews.

Last edited:
X-OMG-X, thank you for your review, it made me really happy. The fact with the towers, preventing entrance of air units is not a bug, since those destructibles are based off "Blocker (Both)", which means inability for both ground and flying units to pass through (that was on purpose, since those energies are no walls, they are magic, so it would be more realistic to remove the ability of flying units enter as well).
Apparently, I tried many things to prevent the issue of non-breakable links, once a certain tower is destroyed and when I tested it, I got the result just fine, maybe it doesn't always work. The bug with the AI, well, certainly AI wouldn't be aware of the Death Link ability, since it doesn't work to keep that in mind (it's a custom feature, not a pre-set).
OK, my fault! I accidentaly uploaded an older version of my map, oh god, the one that had two tiers! Oh god, I need to find the previous one, quickly!!!

EDIT: Ok, I can make it work, until the tower dies once. If they are linked again, then the link is destroyed only by one out of the two sides. Sorry :/
Edited the submission, sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Level 22
@ x-omg-x yah, i added the Town Hall's attack at the last second, so i didnt have any time to test how high i had to place the projectile launch coordinates.
same thing with the hero, no time. the heroes abilities as well. its just my work ethic, which i need to fix.
If you dont know what Sanctioned Psykers are from other games/lore, theyre wretched beings, that look...wierder than the average human. i had to find a hobo looking model/skin and stumbled upon pin's mage skin, which was perfect.

Level 21
Not to mention that ultimate hero ability can be chose at lvl 1 and one icon is green (I amusing that latest map unless you edited that post then I am sorry). Also why does that militia (forgot actual name) have melee armor? Aren't they supposed to be melee fighters?

Level 22
the conscripts? you mean medium armor? because you train them in pairs, so their actual cost is 65 per conscript. theyre more of a meatshield, and gain help you start attacking early on in masse.
conscripts are not known to have particulary good equipment, so i gave them medium armor so that most troops have an edge 1v1 against them.
i have not editted my map since i added the GUI triggers, check Chaos. list for my latest map.
once again, i barely had any time to work on my hero. if i did, it would be much better than it's current state, trust me.

Level 21
Maybe you should have given them small or no armor? It isn't mistake or bug but melee armor is most vulnerable against melee attacks and conscripts being melee units will most certainly be attacked be melee units (yes my english sucks). You at least have a valid reason but many give melee units medium armor which is best described as ironic.

Level 35
If you know that Medium Armor is most vulnerable against 1v1 melee attackers, then you must also know it gives them a cutting edge against standard ranged units, even more so than regular Footmen. Giving them Small or No Armor would be... well, not terribly bright in this instance, ESPECIALLY No Armor if you're arguing that they are too vulnerable now (no armor should NEVER be given to a melee unit unless the values get edited). Small armor would leave them vulnerable to ranged attacks, making them ONLY good as a meat shield. At least with Medium Armor they can deal with ranged attackers and absorb hits from Towers better than most Footmen.

BTW, Ghost, your race has grown on me and I am actually fair a fan of it =D
6/10 minimum rating from me, I'll explain now:
Okay, so not having done a good job on the hero deducts points. I know why the hero isn't complete and I understand, but I'm sure you also understand that it counts towards your final marking. Now... the Sharpshooters do have their own role, but they seem kinda random for an Empire race. No points deducted, just wondering how bows and arrows fit in with a classic Steampunk race.

Now, the matter of 2 early melee units. Confusing, yes. Perhaps if you made the second 'footie' unit have an aura so that it improved nearby units it would be different, but atm they are too similar (despite the difference in armor). Makes the race a little boring at the start.

The Tanks are kinda samey in terms of their attack AND armor being the same, the only difference being their roles. Now, when I've said many times before about them being more suited to a different style of game, I should have explained further. Basically, they are too samey for a game that has limited amounts of units per race. If the game this race was in had many units per race, it would work. If the game it was in had no difference between armour and attack types, it would work. But in this style of game, at least an armor type needs to be changed to avoid the boredom.

Now, I must confess I haven't played your latest version yet on account of procrastinating in terms of reviews :p. But I felt you deserved a more explanatory review, and seeing as how your race grew on me and I fell in love with the Steampunk feel (Steampunk is always great =D), I felt you deserved another chance, and that I was harsh in giving it 4/10 before. So, here's a 6/10, much better in the grades of Wazzz :p

Level 21
If you know that Medium Armor is most vulnerable against 1v1 melee attackers, then you must also know it gives them a cutting edge against standard ranged units, even more so than regular Footmen. Giving them Small or No Armor would be... well, not terribly bright in this instance, ESPECIALLY No Armor if you're arguing that they are too vulnerable now (no armor should NEVER be given to a melee unit unless the values get edited). Small armor would leave them vulnerable to ranged attacks, making them ONLY good as a meat shield. At least with Medium Armor they can deal with ranged attackers and absorb hits from Towers better than most Footmen.
Because of that they need heavy armor. Sure normal armor give advantage against range but they need to get to the range. That level of vulnerability melee unit do not need. Their main purpose is to tank.

Level 35
Yeah, but don't forget that Heavy Armor also makes them vulnerable to Magic attacks and doesn't give them any protection from siege attacks. Essentially, Medium armour is the best armor type there is, but it is often put on units that are slow and vulnerable to melee attacks (siege weapons). When put on the primary Footman unit, it makes it necessary to use them for flanking. And as they come in such high numbers, they can afford to absorb lots of ranged damage. Just distract the enemy's Footmen with powerful magic attacks.

But there lies another problem with Ghost's race. You have 3 f***ing powerful siege attackers (base and the 2 tanks), yet the only magic damage you can deal is 8-9. Even the Orcs are better in their magic attacks with the Spirit Walker (mind you, they don't need a powerful magic attack as much due to having the Grunt as such a powerful blocker and assaulter in addition to the Ensnare). The early Conscript units need to be assisted with a powerful magic attack, but the problem is I can't think of any.

Oh, and Ghost, these are just suggestions for the future. I know that submitions are closed and you can't make any changes, so all these problems I'm pointing out are just so you have a basic idea of the views of a player. Great race, btw =D

Level 22
hmmm well, Swordsmen (numba 2 footie) have the Raise Shield ability, sort of like an activatable hardened skin.
conscripts were invisioned as doing any of three things:
1. Rushing/scouting, they are built in twos after all, for the same cost as a footman
2. Reinforcements for a battle, have 2 or 3 barracks and youll be pumping out conscripts to replace any losses
3. Swarming, u can have alot of these bastards up and running, and can trap heroes rather easily.

about the magic support, do you mean like a magic based attack? Sanctioned Psykers have two rather strong spells, Disorient Mind which causes everyone in AoE to have chance to miss and are silenced, and Psychic Blast, which deals a good deal of AoE damage + slow. If you noticed that Psykers can hurt themselves while casting spells, u can put em close to enemy units and spam both disorient and psychic blast at once, and youll probably trigger the self-hurt ability.

I felt that the Empire needed a real scout, in terms of long sight range/invisibility, so i threw in the Ranger. 1400 sight range both day and night, plus ensnare, to trap enemy heroes/air units, critical strike, and an activateable, mana-draining, critical strike chance increasing, invisibility.

the tanks, i couldve probably worked on, i admit that.

Level 35
All right, the contest is over. Glad to see the extensive reviews you are giving to each other, haven't been on this site in a few days due to an extensive homework load. I'll work on getting the poll up before the weekend though :)

At last :thumbs_up: Now all that awaits is the judgment. How that is done must will then be decided.

Level 35
Well, by powerful magic attack I meant a unit that uses the Magic attack type and has a very powerful attack. However, I did not pay attention to the power of the Sanctioned Psykers spells. Mind you, it could pay to have, for example, a 'flame tank' of some sort that fires a powerful magic attack at short range if you decide to continue working on this race outside of the contest. That way it could support your melee units which have Medium armour to great effect. Also, if it's killed in combat, it can deal damage to all surrounding units in an area, making it very hazardous to use despite its great effect.

However, it also depends on how well you personally think a 'flame tank' would fit in with your race. Mind you, it would be a nice change from the standard Siege Attack we all feel compelled to use. But these are mere suggestions, and they may not even be needed, it's just me talking :p

ADDITIONAL: Well, it just occured to me that the Sanctioned Psyker ends up with 18-19 magic damage, making it more than adequate for troop support.

BTW, with the Great Sword, what's the deal with it? I seriously do not understand. You have the Conscript and the Swordy Defendy Guy in the first building as if they aren't similar enough (separated only by ones ability to Defend and the others ability to die), but you also have the Great Sword, which people would think to be an overzealous anti-caster of sorts. Instead, it has uber cool op abilities, like a 10% chance to deal 20 times more damage. It's attack is above 20, nearing 30 when fully upgraded. 10% chance to deal 20 times is a 10% chance to deal 400-600 damage on one hit. The Blademaster can do a maximum of 4 times its normal damage (which is still around about 200 damage) with only a 15% chance to do so. The difference between your unit and the Blademaster? The Blademaster is just 1 hero which can not be duplicated. You can make a whole frontline of Great Swords. Devastating to the enemy, yea?

Last edited:
Level 22
everyone just chill... we'll get to it.
Greatswords are Greatswords, theyre supposed to be OP mini-heroes that can slice people and behead them. thats why they have hero damage. you can only have one greatsword every interval per Support Command, so theyre numbers are limited unless you start spamming Support Commands, even so, you shouldnt have that much time to make SC's if your playing against a human player. They wouldve attacked you buy then.

Level 35
@Ghost: The way I'd play against a Human player would be to expand ASAP and control all the points. With swarms of gunners backing up the Militia, I can do this AND take out enemy units with amazing ease. So, while I'm doing that, I can also build up enough Support Commands to cause havoc to the enemy so that once all my Militia are dead, I have a minimum of 10 Greatswords in the frontline. This would come from continuosly harassing the enemy, tho, so they don't build up a force to attack me with.

Mind you, if they were to assault first, I'd still be able to pwn them with this race :p
So, Greatswords are meant to be op... yeah, not a great idea unless their numbers are limited or something, especially seeing as how their max attack is above 40 when fully upgraded, adding to their already powerful ability :/

As for the results, patience is a virtue :p

Status
Not open for further replies.