• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race Building Contest #3 - Mini Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
its nov 9
its morning nov 9 here

We are going after GMT time which means its not November the 9 yet.

To be exact the time is: Sunday, 8 November 10:39:20 p.m

Goo.jpg
Goos.jpg

You need to judge this as a concept more then looks :smile:

My entry is with the Goo Race

Edit: Going to add some more pictures, but only in the final submission.

Last edited:
Level 35
@X-OMG-X: The only reason my race is protected is because I had to compress the filesize of the map. If anyone wants an unprotected version, just PM me and I'll send it on to you ASAP.

@Everyone: Great looking races so far, hoping I still have a chance to at least get in the top 3 :O

I think the real reason we're all here is to play some awesome Custom races, am I right? =D

It is still the 8 of november here, I will post my final entry later tonight, it is right now 6h45 p.m.

Edit = It is right now 10h02 p.m and.

Final Entry
-=TUSKARR RACE=-
By: Mr.Goblin

Descriptions = The mighty hunters of Northrend are now forced to run away, caused by an unknown cataclypse, with their ancestral techniques and their magic, they will create their new home in ashenvale, where spirits lies. But, to be able to survive they will have to face the nightelfs that wants to push them away of their land, the barbarian orcs that are also intruders of this land and the incoming undeads of the Lich King army.

-=Screenshots=-
Attack1.pngAttack2.pngbanner.pngDescription.pngGroup.pngmove.pngmove2.pngmove3.pngPenguin.pngReinsforcement.pngSpirit Blessing.pngTown1.pngTown2.pngTuskarricons.pngunits.pngVillage1.png

-=Bugg Report=-
-Sadly Cavman didn't made the Shaman model's portrait in time, so yeah.. just letting you know.
-Debode made the map initiation trigger cause I couldn't make it work. DON'T GET ME WRONG! he only did that, nothing else. He didn't even correct my grammar errors for the map. So don't worry about this competition rules, I respected them A to Z
-Some passive icons I made have a bug that I can't fix, the DISPAS doesn't work. (for the Boreal Resistance ability for example)
-There Soul Attraction spell that belongs to the vengefull spirits doesn't work. Didn't managed to fix it in time.
-The Temple of Fire Model that i'm using have a major bug, on his building animation the animations are attached to a unit around it.
-The Tuskarr model is holding a sack when he's building (an other model problem)
-The upgrade called Spirit Hawk Form is supposed to have the name of Mystification

My internet crashed and I'm right now at my neighborders house, so I won't make the description yet, tought here's my final submission.
Also my dad was at the computer the hole week-end, wich didn't gave me much time to make the final retouched about the unit balancing.

bah anyway....

Attachments

• TuskarrRace.w3x
    2.2 MB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Level 35
My final entry - Took a crap lot of time to try getting my defeat trigger working, failed at it... So well race work, but you can't lose. :hohum:

As Goblins hopefully is accepted, I assume mine will be as well.

Have fun - Might add some pictures later, but for now only the map matters.

EDIT: If you going to review this, please do download the name fixed version, as I fixed two minor issues which could have caused problems (Too many maps of similar name, so renamed it and changed an effect that could cause lag as it didn't disappear).

The Mighty Goo's

131841-albums1697-picture20040.jpg

Welcome to the World of Goo (This is an easter egg - Not my inspiration - Some have misunderstood it :hohum:)

Allow this weird race to, hopefully, entertain you for a while.

The entire race was made and based on an idea of a concept which I am still working on, so this is mainly to show the idea. Hopefully it will serve you as a useful race as well. :smile:

The Goo society is based on the Mothers (Buildings) - every other unit is just their pets to play around with. The Goo doesn't care about earthly wars, they mainly joined it to watch and then test out some of the latest inventions by the Smart Goo Mother. :wink:

lol2.jpg

lol1.jpg

lol.jpg

- You can't lose (You might be able to in the new version)
- You can push buildings around by creating the Mush unit.
- I didn't have time to balance the entire Goo = Mana system so might be slightly overpowered. Believe me it is incredible hard to balance a race like this.. I spent hours and still not satisfied with the balance.
- I never got time to fix my hero as intended - so he has to stay this way
- I forgot to rename the map in the description :bored:
- I forgot two abilities I wanted to create for my units
- I didn't get time to finish up my idea for moving buildings (and wouldn't have the correct models for it either)
- I initially thought to used custom icons then decided against it - Now I fell that I should have gone back to the first idea
- Wanted to add a certain attachment, but forgot. :smile:
More to come

Add a uproot ability to all buildings (beside one)
Add more upgrades (2 more to be exact)
Add the two last abilities for my units
Add "it" (But the model crashed the map every time I tried)
Add Custom models for everything instead of just skins and edits

I added the details yesterday
I added the picture and changed fonts yesterday
I updated the issue list today (9 Nov)
I added the fixed map where the map is named something else then Moonglade
I fixed some spelling errors in the post
I fixed the bug mentioned in the review, as it seemed like the contest weren't over as I had thought

Attachments

• Goo Race - fixed Name.w3x
    917.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Mr.Goblin, your race was cool, well made and enjoyable. I liked the idea and how most of the race was to play. I didnt really like that the tuskarrs had igloo's and a orc townhall. It doesnt really match, but im sure you did your best to find some good models for your race. You have made a bunch of typos/grammars that might be fixed. I saw in (nearly all) your descriptions that you wrote 'abillitys' instead of 'abillities'. Take a look at it and some of the other typos and it will be a quite amazing race. Oh and also i have experienced a really strange thing.
mrgob.png
I think the screenshot says everything. Anyways cool race ;)

More races will be tested soon, and reviews will be given.

Level 35
Ouch, I hope people don't deprive me of their vote just because I never got around to fixing that Revealing the player thing -.-'

Well, hopefully people won't be that shallow lol

BTW, Stanakin, I tried out your Kobold race, awesome ideas but unfortunately are yet to be developed if they're to be used again. I am talking about the Gold System. I absolutely LOVE how your main building is also the Gold Mine, but alas, there's some minor bugs with it. For example, while you are training more workers, the workers you currently have in the mine do not gather anything at all. This is a major disadvantage, but could be fixed if the Workers were 'hired' instead of 'recruited'. However, if one were to also add upgrades or researches to that building as well, there would be further complications. Awesome idea, though =D

I think this contest has a major flaw (no offense, 67Chrome) in that the polls are done publicly. This means that any noob can vote for the 'race with the pretty colours', leading to some 'unfair' results. However, as with all contests, it's nearly impossible to remove any bias -.-'. I think that the best bet, though, would be to get a certified group of users to act as a group of judges. Well, those are just ideas for the future, anyway :p

Level 35
Ouch, I hope people don't deprive me of their vote just because I never got around to fixing that Revealing the player thing -.-'

Nah, thats not a problem - Besides I also have some small flaws I would like to change if we are allowed on hour of editing or something (that flaw includes defeat trigger and renaming the map in the description)

I think this contest has a major flaw (no offense, 67Chrome) in that the polls are done publicly. This means that any noob can vote for the 'race with the pretty colours', leading to some 'unfair' results. However, as with all contests, it's nearly impossible to remove any bias -.-'. I think that the best bet, though, would be to get a certified group of users to act as a group of judges. Well, those are just ideas for the future, anyway :p

Agree - But as the voting haven't started there is still a chance he might decide to do so.

Well my race never got the appearance I wanted as everything ended up taking to long and I spent hours sleeping. :hohum:

Stanakin Skywalker, i enjoyed playing your race and their abillities was well made. I like the idea with their abillity to jump down in the hole and then their are save. There is just a little problem with the burrow. Its potrait is a scarab and when building it a scarab comes up of the hole and jumps down again. I know its not fixable in wc3, then you will have to create a model without the scarab. Anyways i didnt find any typos and i enjoyed playing. The race could have been a little stronger, because i died really fast. Good job stanakin.

[EDIT]​

RED BARON, lol nice race man! I really enjoyed it and i just played it for about one hour :p I love the concept about how you create the buildings, but i would like to see some more units, buildings and upgrades. Also the fuse abillty was buggy. Try to select a pool and cast fusion on a goo unit. Then it spawns a buildings - but not even near your base! I think the screenshot shows it all :p
buggy.png
Anyways, i did enjoy the race and the concept is really nice. A big 5/5 from me. (If there was some more units/buildings/abillities/upgrades)

Last edited:
Level 35
@X-OMG-X: Yea, I noticed those problems too, but those aren't overly important as opposed to the glitch that as soon as you start recruiting a worker or doing something in general at the base building/gold mine, you can't gather gold until it's done. I loved the idea, but it needs some tweaking for it to be functional.

@WORLD!!! MUAHAHAHA!!!: BTW, my map is protected, but that's only because I had to use Vex's Optimizer on it. So, for everyone's convenience (I may even make this my sig.), if you want an unprotected version of my map so you can see the stuff I did, just give me a shout and I'll give it to you. If I get enough people wanting it, I will submit the unprotected version on this Forum just so people can open it.

Nearly all of the races are pretty good. I think we can make an uniqe Evolution of Races map with these races.

X-OMG-X
Your race is very good. But your changes affect melee races. (Undead blight is no more). I think it is against the rules. Try using this trigger:

• Trigger
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes construction
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Constructed structure)) Equal to Town Hall
    • Actions
      • Environment - Change terrain type at (Position of (Constructed structure)) to Dungeon - Dirt using variation -1 in an area of size 7 and shape Circle
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Constructed structure)) offset by (Random real number between 0.00 and 500.00) towards (Random angle) degrees) using Environment\SmallBuildingFire\SmallBuildingFire1.mdl
chilla_killa
Interesting race. I love playing it.

Pharaoh
I don't have v1.24 and couldn't paly your map. But it seems great.

Thanks master of eagles:)

I had a talk with chrome about the blight. With the other skins, i had to double some models to make them not overwrite and that took me 600-700kb space. The problem with terrain textures is, that they dont use models. Then i cant double a model, wich means i cant do anything :/ And the trigger you posted, it doesnt fix the problem. Yes, it creates lava but will never be the same. Thats why i didnt do anything with the blight. Anyways i hope you guys still like it, and that it will get an okay rating.

Level 22
Ah man...heres a late submission...the heroes abilities are kinda untested atm.
hopefully i wont get DQ'd put a lot of effort into this.
Empire
From the deep South they come, with their mechanical creations. These young strand of men blindly follow the Divine Emperor, who brought them out of slavery from the Demonic kind. Now they follow his orders - To conquer the rest of the world, killing those who do not conform to the New World Order.
35n9h1e.jpg

290y1pd.jpg

3503pr7.jpg

ALL CREDITS ARE IN THE QUEST'S SECTION OF THE MAP
TO PLAY THE MAP:

1. Go to Warcraft 3 Custom Games
2. Go to the map
3. SET YOUR RACE TO HUMAN, WITH A HANDICAP OF 90%
edit: fixed up some stuff

Attachments

• Racebuilding Contest - Ghost765.w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Level 23
Wow, awesome!
Mr.Goblin your race, icons and models are cool, too bad I cant say the same about the buildings.
RED BARON, your Goo race seems interesting, though it would be much more interesting to me if it had "mystic" and not "lulzy" touch.
Stanakin, work on the ground textures. The model/skin you used as the mine is just awesome!

Level 35
Wow, awesome!
RED BARON, your Goo race seems interesting, though it would be much more interesting to me if it had "mystic" and not "lulzy" touch.

Yea, thats why I wanted to make my own models for the race - never got them finished though. I did however try to make something funny as well :wink:

RED BARON, lol Nice race man! I really enjoyed it and i just played it for about one hour :p I love the concept about how you create the buildings, but i would like to see some more units, buildings and upgrades. Also the fuse ability was buggy. Try to select a pool and cast fusion on a goo unit.

I fixed that bug in the "fixed name version". Feel free to try it :thumbs_up: I am happy the concept idea worked out, though still yea I also really wanted to add some more units and at least two more abilities + upgrades. (And "it" which I assume you have guessed is the hero)

If there comes a chance I might change something

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My review for the Adempent race (by Master of Eagles?):

The race is basically just the normal naga race with some modifications and new models.

The race is rather well balanced compared to the normal races.

- Pros
Balance
Buildings and unit system works well
The more powerful units fits well in a fight with the normal wc3 units

- Cons
There is some spelling errors
Some of the tool tips are incorrect
I miss some ho keys and one of them is incorrect.
The Hero abilities seems rather random and not thought trough (Why finger of death? And it doesn't even do what it says it does)
You added a extra goldmine, thats not allowed
Why are all the buildings so huge?! I need a lot more space for those huge buildings
Why that ground texture? It doesn't fit and appears ugly
Not original or unique

3/6 (I give it 3 due to the balance)

More reviews to come

Level 16
BTW, is the contest already ended?

I think so, yes. But perhaps only 67chrome or another arena mod can officially close the contest.

On a side note, I've trouble play testing the races. I've even renamed them in WE but it still doesn't seem to work. I'll have to redownload the them again apart from the Hell race, Adempet race, Goo race and zpider's forest trolls race, which I have play-tested or in the midst of play-testing. I'll pm any feedback :)

Level 21
Sea Legion

Info: Sea legion is a faction of sea creatures united against common enemy the Naga. Main fighters are mur'guls, murlocs are weaker but use their intelligence to their advantage and Makrura are hard defenders. Sea legion also tames many creatures to fight for them such as turtles and hydras.

Units:
-Mur'gul warrior- small and quick unit that is able to jump great distance. Can be promted to Fanatic.
-Fanatic- stronger warriors dedicated to serve Leviathan. They can use frenzy.
-Murloc Ranger- Murlocs that are adapt at range fighting. Can be upgraded to throw multiple projectiles at their enemy.
-Makrura Defender- Hard strong unit that can withstand even the greatest attacks.
-Murloc Ritualist- Spellcaster adept at aiding friendly units.
-Mur'Gul Snarecaster- Aggressive spellcaster that enjoys crippling enemies
-Makrura Deepseer- Spellcaster that are able to summon sea minions. They are also adept at neutralizing magic.
-Tamed Hydra- Specialized anti-air creature. Also is has high regeneration.
-Tamed Turtle- Transport unit that can carry units, items and even harvest lumber
-Sea Drake- Forgotten flying terrors of the sea. Their attacks are devastating against Naga and surface dwellers.

Hero:
Tide Hunter- Sacred warrior dedicated to Leviathan.
-Poison Strike- Strikes single unit with poison which decreases hit point and slows both attack and movment speed of target.
-Thermal Eruption- Strikes targeted area with underground waves which damages and slows down units.
-Sacred Aura- Increases all melee warriors around Tide Hunter.
-Fury of the Tides- Releases number of waves around Tide Hunter to drown enemy units.
Sea Legion.png

Battle.png

View attachment Racebuilding Contest (Sea L).w3x

(Please tell me it is not to late -.-)

Level 15
7 hours and 40 minutes left. Unfortunatly, I wont make it. But atleast I tried to the end. Good luck to all.

Level 48
Chaos, it's a little sad that you couldn't make it... Servants of Hakkar sounds like a potentially great race.

Anyone else - looking great! I'll test the maps when the poll will be up.

By the way, just wanted to let all you guys know.... Chrome was last online on the fifth of November, so I'm not so sure where he's gone...

Level 15
You'll see it adventually. Since I can't make it in time for this contest, I decided to start making it a full race with a new melee map (always wanted to make a melee, just for fun). So you will see it in the map section adventually.

Level 9
Mr.Goblin, I tried your race (and everyone elses exept, Red Baron and Ghost765's but I will try those soon)

Here are some parts that should be looked at Mr.Goblin. However I guess you are not allowed to edit your race anymore but feel free to change the map located on your computer.

- When I opened your map in the World Editor to check some things and I notice that the Tuskarr Defender has a ability with the name "Unknown (AOOU)" somehow I get the feeling thats not intended.

- I disliked the fact that I was forced to build certain units in order for me to get certain upgrades.

- The tooltips; these are the ones I found.

1. Tuskarr|cffffcc00W|rorker should be Tuskarr |cffffcc00W|rorker
  2. masonnery's (Tuskarr Worker Tooltips) should be masonarys
  3. offensif (Hero Tooltips) should be offensive
  4. Enemi (Cold Aura Tooltips) should be enemy
  5. Mouvement (Cold Ward Tooltips) should be movement
  6. mouvement (2 times) (Eternal Morphing Tooltips) should be movement
  7. wich ( Hero Spell - Cold Blood ) should be which
  8. Vengefull Spirits (Vengefull Spirits) should be Vengeful Spirits
  9. arrashed (Vengefull Spirits) should be harrassed
  10. Vengefull Spirits - Minion (Vengefull Spirits - Minion) should be Vengeful Spirits
  11. arrashed (Vengefull Spirits - Minon) should be harrassed
hmmbo.jpg

- This occured to my worker after I was finished building my first Igloo. Appearently this has happened to others aswell.

- This occured when I was finished building my first Boreal Stable. This went on for about five minuts until it disappeared.
62621560.jpg

Now I am still waiting for some of you "review guys" to check out my race ( http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...g-contest-3-a-145995/index58.html#post1370910 )

Any kind of complaints are greatly appreciated ~ Zpider

I would like to point out that some of you, has not credited the makers of the models

Last edited:
Level 9
Yes X-OMG-X you did review it, thankful for that.
Changes has been made according to your feedback.
However I fail to see how the hero can be overpowered.
But I did change his Spider Trap spell, so he can no longer summon more than 5 traps.

X-OMG-X, yes there is someone that doesn't credit.
However I wouldn't like to see anyone get disqualified so I just said it to give the person someone the chance to fix it.

Thanks for the reviews! I'll test and review all maps when the poll's here.

Do I have to give credit in the map itself as well? I put all credits in my submission post...

I did create a comment in the trigger editor, with all the credits.
I suggest you to do the same, but i dont think you are breaking rules if you just credited it.

I'm posting this again (original found on page 60) beacuse I forgot to put the credits in the map itself. Attached to this post is the updated map with credits.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My race isn't as good and balanced as I'd like it to be, but sadly there is no more time to work on it. This is my final submission. If you see anything that's wrong (typos, wrong spell name, etc.) or can think of an addition I can add quickly, please tell me and I may be able to change it.

I broke one of the rules in that I have 4 summoned units. (1 hero's summonable, 1 normal summonable, 1 defensive summonable and 1 ward.) I hope you can allow that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

koboldiconcompilation.png

Ratorg Rider, Kobold Digger and Beast Pit by Callahan
Kobold Stalker by levigeorge1617
Giant Sand Worm by Sephiroth_VII
Oger_Barracks by SantoRayo[iP]
BTNXMeteor by X.e.r.e.X
VolcanoShieldTarget and Low Poly Earth Elemental by DonDustin
Bat by GreyArchon
All other icons, Mining Shaft skin and Mining Mole skins by me.

Attachments

• RaceBuildingContestKobolds.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 305
Mr.Goblin, I tried your race (and everyone elses exept, Red Baron and Ghost765's but I will try those soon)

Here are some parts that should be looked at Mr.Goblin. However I guess you are not allowed to edit your race anymore but feel free to change the map located on your computer.

- When I opened your map in the World Editor to check some things and I notice that the Tuskarr Defender has a ability with the name "Unknown (AOOU)" somehow I get the feeling thats not intended.

- I disliked the fact that I was forced to build certain units in order for me to get certain upgrades.

- The tooltips; these are the ones I found.

1. Tuskarr|cffffcc00W|rorker should be Tuskarr |cffffcc00W|rorker
  2. masonnery's (Tuskarr Worker Tooltips) should be masonarys
  3. offensif (Hero Tooltips) should be offensive
  4. Enemi (Cold Aura Tooltips) should be enemy
  5. Mouvement (Cold Ward Tooltips) should be movement
  6. mouvement (2 times) (Eternal Morphing Tooltips) should be movement
  7. wich ( Hero Spell - Cold Blood ) should be which
  8. Vengefull Spirits (Vengefull Spirits) should be Vengeful Spirits
  9. arrashed (Vengefull Spirits) should be harrassed
  10. Vengefull Spirits - Minion (Vengefull Spirits - Minion) should be Vengeful Spirits
  11. arrashed (Vengefull Spirits - Minon) should be harrassed
hmmbo.jpg

- This occured to my worker after I was finished building my first Igloo. Appearently this has happened to others aswell.

- This occured when I was finished building my first Boreal Stable. This went on for about five minuts until it disappeared.
62621560.jpg

Now I am still waiting for some of you "review guys" to check out my race ( http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...g-contest-3-a-145995/index58.html#post1370910 )

Any kind of complaints are greatly appreciated ~ Zpider

I would like to point out that some of you, has not credited the makers of the models

Thanks alot mate, but I seen these bugs myself.. the sad part of it is that my dad was on the computer the hole week-end, and I have lost a good 10 hours that I could have use to fix those bugs...

I will fix them evantually... but the competition is already over... so I can't change anything for it.

anwyay, If you want to help me out with finding those errors, I will be verry happy.

Level 13
Here is my personal review...I don't know how many people is left making the race...

Adempet - 9/15 - The looks is quite cool, but the units are too simply, I think. Great job anyway.

World of Goo - 6/15 -
It's strange man...It's...uh...I played a game called world of Goo...I think you took the idea from it...well...iI don't like it...anyway you get a 6/15...

Ghost Army - 11/15 - it's a little unbalanced (I mean the power of the race is not enought), but btw it's really really cool and well made.

Sea L (Murlocs exct) - 12/15 - Oh, yeah! You made it! It's f*****g AWESOME! It's well made, all is perfect, buildingsand units match perfectly. I love it man...

Hell - 12/15 - WOW! It matches perfectly the name of your race: HELL!!! There is fire everywhere and I like it so much. The only one bug is that you can make infinite hero, but it can be fixed easily...The race is balanced, and I like it.

Forest Trolls (by Wazzz)- ?/15 - Protected map? Where are you, dude? It's a race contest, people must have a change to control the map in itself...

Kobolds - 10/15 -
The race is really well made, and balanced, but, I, don't like kobolds...you're unlucky man :/

Tuskarrs - 11/15 - Man, your icons ownz, and the models too. The race is balanced. Anyhow there is the bug of the builders, and i think that the non organic units are not so "artic". Anyway it's really good.

Forest Trolls (by Zpider) - 10/15 - It's really good, but a lot of buildings are centaur one! (not trolls)..the builders are fine, I would really like to know where you found them (lol I used skinned peons -.-)...GJ, but some buildings are cantaured...

Level 10
Submission

Mage_Goo Submission
Avian Race

Well, it's nearly finished, so I think there's still bug in there, but I don't have any time left so, here it is.

Attached.

Attachments

• Avian Race [MG].w3x
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
  • Screen1.jpg
    Screen1.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 436
  • Screen2.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 403
  • Screen3.jpg
    Screen3.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 397
  • Screen4.jpg
    Screen4.jpg
    750.2 KB · Views: 363
Level 35
Here is my personal review...I don't know how many people is left making the race...

Adempet - 9/15 - The looks is quite cool, but the units are too simply, I think. Great job anyway.

World of Goo - 6/15 -
It's strange man...It's...uh...I played a game called world of Goo...I think you took the idea from it...well...I don't like it...anyway you get a 6/15...

Ghost Army - 11/15 - it's a little unbalanced (I mean the power of the race is not enough), but BTW it's really really cool and well made.

Sea L (Murlocs exct) - 12/15 - Oh, yeah! You made it! It's f*****g AWESOME! It's well made, all is perfect, buildings and units match perfectly. I love it man...

Hell - 12/15 - WOW! It matches perfectly the name of your race: HELL!!! There is fire everywhere and I like it so much. The only one bug is that you can make infinite hero, but it can be fixed easily...The race is balanced, and I like it.

Forest Trolls (by Wazzz)- ?/15 - Protected map? Where are you, dude? It's a race contest, people must have a change to control the map in itself...

Kobolds - 10/15 -
The race is really well made, and balanced, but, I, don't like kobolds...you're unlucky man :/

Tuskarrs - 11/15 - Man, your icons ownz, and the models too. The race is balanced. Anyhow there is the bug of the builders, and i think that the non organic units are not so "arctic". Anyway it's really good.

Forest Trolls (by Zpider) - 10/15 - It's really good, but a lot of buildings are centaur one! (not trolls)..the builders are fine, I would really like to know where you found them (lol I used skinned peons -.-)...GJ, but some buildings are centaur...

Nope - I didn't take the idea from World of Goo (that would be impossible by the way, which you would know if you actually played that game :wink:)- I only used it as an easter egg reference in my submission description of the race and on the load screen. My actual inspiration was a failed model I made 2 years ago (btw before World of Goo was released)

Anyway where is the review in that? Just writing that its strange and I took the idea from a game completely unrelated to it (although they both have the word Goo in them)... Oh well your opinion (but you clearly didn't judge it as a concept of a race and it appears rather clear that you judge not from race or any tech concepts, but only from your opinion, which is cool... just please do write something more specific :con:)

Anyway I am unsure about the end time of this, as we have heard nothing I figure it to be at the end of today.. seeing how many posted after the other "deadline".

Have fun with it people - and if you wait around 20 min I will also have fixed a build bug in the map...

Level 15
Even though I can't make the deadline, I'll post the wips of my race. I am now reworking it to make it a full race. So this tech tree is obsolete.

Techtree.jpgTribal Hall units.jpgWar Hut units.jpgVoodoo Guild.jpgDen of Beast units.jpg

Didn't have time to do any of the abilities. I also never made the hero. All units, buildings, and upgrades are done though.

Good luck to all. Btw 40 minutes left.

Level 35
Here is a pastebin of my map in its unprotected form, despite there being no rules to specify that the map must be unprotected:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=za7zpx

And Pippo, you do not need to open it in the World Editor to give the race a review, what kind of theory is that? And, in my opinion, Wraithling's Ghost Army deserved a LOT more than 11/15... you seem to have given high points to 'the pretty colours', though, thus proving Chilla_Killa's theory on the Custom UI being unfair to be correct. And I still can't believe that you downgraded Zpider because some of the buildings were 'Centaur' ones... are you not aware that all models have the potential to act as any race with a similar look? I found that model to suit the race very well, what with all the trees.

Anyway, your reviews are what makes me fear the public polls - noobs with power. You just vote for the 'idea' you like most, not the actual skill involved in the making of the race. And that's what my point is. Noobs shouldn't be able to vote, it should be a select group of people chosen by 67Chrome based on their knowledge (Rui goes without saying, and Rui could even select a large number of suitable testers as he knows quite a bit about that).

It looks as if you downgrade Mr Goblin by 5 points PURELY because there was a bug NOT with his units, but with one of the models. That's stupid, I'm sorry but there's no other word to describe this. You gave Veljkom's race 12/15, the highest mark you've given, PURELY because he 'made it'. You say it's 'f***ing awesome', but that's not what you're meant to look at. Hell, you downgraded Stanakin's Kobold race purely because 'I don't like Kobolds'. Now THAT'S stupid! AND RED BARON'S because you 'saw his race in another game'.

In my opinion, if anyone deserves a 'top mark' out of that list, it should be Wraithling, Stanakin, Mr Goblin, Zpider or myself, based on the actual originality of our ideas. After all, Stanakin tried out a new idea never attempted by anyone else before to my knowledge, and although it had a little glitch, he deserves a great mark because of the originality alone, let alone how well the units suit each other. Zpider had awesome ideas himself, and although I found his units to be a little unoriginal at the start (sorry bro :p), his later units were awesomely original (if not a little op... but, as quoted by 67Chrome, balancing is not a key issue. Another reason noobs shouldn't be allowed to vote - they don't read the specifications). Wraithling had awesome ideas with his Black Ghosts and White Ghosts, his original race was great, too, but he changed it up and still pwned (if not even more so :p). Sad to say I have yet to play Mr Goblin's race, but from the screenies telling me what abilities his hero has alone, I can tell he deserves a great mark, too.

So, a quick review of Pippo's race appears to be in order. It's... confusing. You have all the different Troll types, and although that's specified by your race name, the units don't fit well with each other at all. I mean, you have two early melee units, two basic ranged units... you double units of which you'd only want one. It's not very good, and as an individual who votes on originality over 'the pretty colours', I'd give it 2/10 at most.

Hmm.... maybe I'll quickly review some other races while I'm at it.

X-OMG-X: Your race is okay, the overall look on the battlefield is awesome (on account of that UI and the Customized Blight ground), but unfortunately, that's all that looks awesome. The Icon placement is all wrong for producing the units (the units appear on the top and the upgrades on the bottom, occasionally filling the middle, in the melee game), making the flow of using your race tedious. Not really many original ideas here, you sacrifice the Lasher to get a flying version of the Shade, despite it telling you you'll get 2 Skeletons (not sure how 1 Lasher would have 2 Skeletons anyway, but if it tells me that's what it's going to do, I want to see it). The Magma Wyrm is just ridiculously op, not even subtle when it has a maximum attack of over 300 and a minimum of just under 100 (when fully upgraded). The ideas are somewhat boring, the only thing saving this race is the custom UI... and, as that contributes to nothing of the grade, that results in your race getting approximately 2/10. I gave it 2 because I liked the Flames appearing when you built a building, suited the race even if it didn't have the UI or the Blight/Lava thing.

Wraithling: Playing through your race has been a pleasure, especially seeing as how well the units work together. The early ranged unit proves to be weak against other more conventional ranged units (just like mine) on account of the Light armor, but this makes them more effective against fast melee attackers. They also act as a great scout. This alone shows how the units have clearly defined roles, yet are able to expand on these roles even more. The Mirages are, in my opinion, the backbone of the Ghost army. And now you finally made their Mirage form useful with the healing ability =D. Perhaps it could heal a little more or have a reduced cooldown? Either way, it's unimportant, as they are primarily used for their Mirage Tower Form when attacking the enemy. But, perhaps the most important thing of all, the Mirage Towers can't do it all by themselves. They work well as a support troop, relieving the Wraith/Wight of that role and allowing them to be used for scouting instead, but with Ghasts in the frontline and assisting Nightmares, you have an unstoppable force.
Anyway, enough of the individual unit rap, now for the overall conviction. Your race is, and always will be, one of my favourites submitted here, if not my very favourite (and I'm glad my race has intrigued you very much, too =D). The icons are placed flawlessly (really easy to do once you get the hang of it, but it seems too many people don't know how to do that, making your race VERY refreshing in that regard =D). Your model choices are great, although on a critical note I would have preferred that you exported the models without birthing animations and given them some, but that's fine as that is a model thing and would have probably wasted space on your part anyway (the models fit together anyway, so no one better whinge about the 'no birthing animation' deal, even if I gave some models one because I wanted to :p). The units have great Gestalt, and with the new ability to combine two Wraiths/Wights together to form a more powerful being, the need for them has increased awesomely =D. And finally, your spelling and grammar is flawless. The only thing I REALLY did not like about your race is that some of the tooltips go from now to tomorrow, making them incredibly boring to read. If you make them more concise in future so they get straight to the point, I will appreciate it. 7.5/10 =D (about as high as I'll go with a mark, I do believe, so this is actually an honour coming from me :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.