• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race Building Contest #3 - Mini Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghosts [Underworld]: Pharaoh_'s Entry

Ghost is a very known term, which was firstly used in the early eras. Even Archimonde used it to describe a special type of beings. Ghosts are the remains of a deceased person or a beast. In the afterlife these remains can be restored and can be turned into a new being, usually of an undefined shape. Genders are usually not a factor to detect the power of a ghost, since Ghosts are defined by their team-ability. A great bond which lies between every soul, forming out the Underworld. If Night Elves are famous for the mysterious shroud that covers them and their nature-based lore, if the Orcs are famous for being brutal, Ghosts are famous for their concentrated armies in combat.

The use of Death Magic grants them the ability to remain in the physical world, but at the cost of their loss. A ghost that perishes, leaves nothing behind. This event doesn't let the Undead Necromancers express their full potential through Necromancy, since no corpses are left behind. Finally, the Huntresses seem to be a real threat with their Sentinel Ability, which will reveal even the darkest shape.

Map: View attachment Racebuilding Contest [Pharaoh_'s Entry].w3x

Screenshots:
Hero.png
Eye of Rimhok.png
Ghosts.png
Gate of Rimhok.png
Transfiguration.png
Wraith.png
Tower of Insolence.png
CIP [Combat In Progress].jpg

Have fun.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Fixed Everything :hohum:

Mah Race

attachment.php

Overmind Ancient - Town Hall, trains Drones, can uproot
Drone - Worker unit. Can Harvest Lumber, Repair, and Kaboom.

attachment.php

Ancient of Skirmish - Main troop production building
Land Infantry - Main melee unit. Can learn Stim pack
Anti-Air Infantry - Anti-Air unit. Can learn Ground Hunters.
Ranger Infantry - Main ranged unit. Only attacks land units. Can learn Sniping tactics.

attachment.php

Ancient of Planes - Air Units Production Building
Dragon Cruiser - Main air unit, can learn Hyper Beam.
Hippocopter - Transport unit. Can learn Pick Hippocopter.

attachment.php

Ancient of Technology - Advanced Troops trainer
Annihilator - Incredibly long range/ high damage siege unit. Can learn Mount Hippocopter.
Espionage - Fragile Spellcaster. Adept at distracting enemies. Can learn Sabotage, Lockdown, Hallucination. (She is not invisible, she is just transparent.
Paramedic - Healer spellcaster. Can learn Replenish Vitality, Detoxify, and Optical Flare.

attachment.php

Energy Reactor - Food source, has large mana pool.
Tower of Ages - Contains attack and lumber upgrades. Lumber generator.
Anicent Guardian - Main defense. Iz throz missilez.

attachment.php

Altar of Mech - Trainer of Heroes
Psionic Zealot - Hero (Power Burst, Psi Blades, Psionic Storm. Annihilating Power)

attachment.php

Destroyer - Combined Hippocopter and Annihilator

Sorry, I only got one
attachment.php

Teh Holy Mep: supertoinkz's Mechano Elves

Once again, good luck! ^^

Attachments

• Pic 3.png
    Pic 3.png
    386.2 KB · Views: 862
  • Pic 4.png
    Pic 4.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 890
  • Pic 5.png
    Pic 5.png
    417.3 KB · Views: 962
  • Pic 6.png
    Pic 6.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 878
  • Pic 7.png
    Pic 7.png
    211 KB · Views: 814
  • Pic 2.png
    Pic 2.png
    342.1 KB · Views: 853
  • Pic 1.png
    Pic 1.png
    359.8 KB · Views: 807
  • Racebuilding Contest.w3x
    189.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Action.png
    Action.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 792
Level 35
Okay, here's my submition. I know it's a little oversize, but if people want that can disqualify me. I'm submitting partly in hope that you can overlook that minor inconvenience considering I have abided by all the other rules and haven't gone over the limit by too much, but ultimately because I don't want my work to have gone to waste. Hopefully at least 1 person will enjoy playing as my race, and when all is said and done, that's all that really matters.

Now, I have done a combination of the Forest Trolls with the Goblins and some Pygmy Hoodoo race thing. The combination of Primitive Technology with High Technology may have, indeed, stepped on some people's toes. That is why I ask that when you play as my race, you look past that and think to yourself this:

'How well do the models compliment each other? How well do the units compliment each other? How much effort was put into this race? Were the models used to their full potential? What ideas have been implemented?'

Don't immediately assume that because the Goblin are a much higher tech than the Trolls they shouldn't be together, think of how well the units work together to complete the race as a whole.

Oh, and a quick note. When you are testing my race, they take after the Night Elf tactics in that they require quite a fair amount of microing. If you don't like that concept, do feel free to cheat, although you won't have to if you get decent combinations (i.e. when launching an assault, don't have 1 of every unit, that would cause a lot of stress when microing, think of good combinations for more competetive play).

A quick note on tactics. Well, the Axethrowers form the backbone of the race, being a great supporting ranged attacker. However, they are frail and will lose in head-to-head battles against most other early ranged units. That's where the Bear Riders come in. They are a great frontline assault troop. If you're dealing with a lot of air, take a few Flak Cannons with you to clear them up, being sure to upgrade them at least with the Personal Shield ability to increase their endurance (the Cluster Bombs upgrade will allow them to use a weak siege attack against buildings as well, increasing their use on the battlefield, but is not as vital as enhancing their endurance).

Wind Daughters are for the micro players. They are essentially ground versions of the Faerie Dragon, but have a decent magic attack and can use Wind Shift (Blink) in place of using Phase Shift. Placing at most 2 of these in any given battle well will ruin any chance of the enemy using spells. The Airships are essential for base assaults, being capable of attacking across the enemies trees to bombard their base or drop units in.

The Seer is essential, as they double as a caster and a base defense builder (they summon the Totems). As a caster, they use abilities to both scout out enemy units and disrupt the enemy on the battlefield. As a builder, they can summon scouting towers that can upgrade to one of the following uses: Healing, Summoning or Attacking. Healing is great for base assaults. The only downside of the Seer is its incredibly low movement speed in comparison to other casters.

Marauders are tricky to use, but are great for disrupting most early ranged attackers as well as acting as a speedy attack unit. The Shadow Priest can further enhace the Marauder's use in battle among other units with its array of supporting spells. And finally, the Goblin Sapper can deploy 1 mine before blowing itself up in the middle of a pack. Using these sparingly can turn the tide of the battlefield.

Oh, and finally, I didn't base this on the lore. I stayed a little bit in it, but ultimately did this race for both my entertainment and yours. Enjoy =D

Attachments

• SuperSexyAction1.jpg
    SuperSexyAction1.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 175
  • SuperSexyAction2.jpg
    SuperSexyAction2.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 160
  • SuperSexyAction3.jpg
    SuperSexyAction3.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Racebuilding Contest[Wazzz - Forest Trolls].w3x
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
Level 35
Okay... it works perfectly for me, how do you mean it doesn't work? If it doesn't appear so that you can actually click on the map to begin with, try putting it in your main map directory, I've had to do that with several maps on account that sometimes maps mysteriously dissappear when they're actually there -.-"

If it's something else, do tell plz, as I don't know what could be causing this :S

Level 9
thumb_BTNForestTrollTrapper.png
This is my submission, hope you guys will enjoy my Forest Troll race.
thumb_BTNForestTrollTrapper.png

unitst.jpg

Units I use for my race:

trollrace1.png

# 9 standard units (1 Worker, 1 Seige, 1 Flying, 1 Water, 2 Casters, 2 Melee, 1 Ranged)

List of abilitys my units use:

thumb_BTNReincarnation.png
Spirit Bear: This unit will after its death, stay behind a short moment in its Spirit Form.
thumb_Ability_Druid_Maul.png
Swipe: The creature strikes with such force that 25% of their damage strikes through to enemies near the primary attacked unit.
thumb_BTNCyclone.png
Forest Swiftness: Gives a 10% chance to attack 20% faster for 3 seconds, on an attack.
thumb_BTNWisp.png
Forest Spirits: The Forest Beast summons 3 Nature Spirits which move around the beast and heal his allies nearby for 1 health per second. When the spirit touches a tree, the tree will be converted into a Walking Tree.
thumb_BTNDust.png
Rejuvenation Dust: Throws a mystical dust at the target area. The dust regrows all trees in the area and gives a chance to summon a Tree Spirit out of a regrown tree
153325-albums2005-picture15670.jpg
Spirit Form: Transforms the Primalist into his Spirit Form that is immune to spells and gains additional hit points and armor
153325-albums2005-picture15703.jpg
Spell Immunity: Renders this unit immune to all spells.
thumb_BTNSentryWard.png
Sentry Ward: Allowes the player to see invisible units
thumb_BTNHealingWard.png
Healing Ward: A ward that heals.
thumb_BTNHex.png
Hex: Transforms an enemy unit into a random critter for 5 seconds.
thumb_INV_Misc_Net_01.png
Ensnare: Unit cannot move and Air units that are ensnared can be attacked as though they were land units.
thumb_BTNCorrosiveBreath.png
Slow Poison: Gives a 5% chance on an attack to slow the enemy unit's movement speed by 35% for 3 seconds.
thumb_Spell_Nature_SpiritArmor.png
Nature Shield: A shield of nature that will entangle attacking enemy melee units. The shield will also increase the armor of the Primalist by 3. Lasts 10 seconds.

And many more abilitys.

Units In Action:

inaction.png

inaction2.png

Hero - Shadow Prowler ( mix between shadow dancer and hunter)

Hero:

icons_5432_btn.jpg

My Hero - Quick Information:
Stats at level 10
Hit Points: 950
Mana Points: 705
Strength: 34
Agility: 25
Intelligence: 47

Abilitys:

thumb_Ability_Druid_Cyclone.png
Nature Ward : The hero summons a Nature Ward which channels energy from nearby trees. Every second, the ward will release all its channeled energy, healing allies and damaging enemies.
Spell_Shadow_Shadowform.png
Shadow Shift: Caster fades into the shadows, making it more accurate when evading enemy attacks and more resistant against magic attacks and spells. Removes negative buffs upon cast.
thumb_BTNSpiderGreen.png
Spider Trap: Summons a trap that activates when an enemy unit approaches. The trap will release spiders to attack your enemies.
icons_3204_btn.jpg
Shadow Dance : Shadow Prowler enter a Shadow Dance, the dance causes the hero to quickly dance forward in a straight line and damage nearby enemies.

building.png

Triggers/Systems: 100% - However, always room for improvement same goes for the rest
Structures: 100%
Upgrades: 100%
Hotkeys: 100%
Abilities: 100%
Heroes: 100%
Icons: 100%
Units: 100%

Credits is shown ingame at Quests (F9), would also like to mention my gratitude to Wrathling's feedback. It was helpful to say the least.

Additional information might be found in my old post: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...g-contest-3-a-145995/index49.html#post1363949
That post also contains pictures of my buildings

Anyways - Here is my map

Attachments

• Zpider - Forest Troll.w3x
    1.9 MB · Views: 198
Last edited:
So many sweet entries :p
Everytime i see a new entry, i can see my chance to get in the three best is lowered slightly:xxd:
Anyways the races looks cool and i can see people have spend much time on them. Good luck everybody ;)

[EDIT] Supertoinks, i did test your race but there is a few things i would like to notify you about. First, the tooltips isnt that useful. 'Gives the land infantry the Slim Pack abillity'. You could say something about what it does. Also, i noticed that the ancient protector is shooting with missiles wich was a little wierd looking. And at last, the idea with the lumber generators was a really awesome idea, but using them as upgrade center too is really unbalanced. Anyways i enjoyed playing the race and i like the way you mixed the wc3 models. Good job, dude.

Also i will test some more races later and give more reviews, but i cant test all maps at once :p

[EDIT] Pharaoh_ your map download link doesnt work :p Fix it and i will test later.

[EDIT] Zpider, i did test your map and i was suprised. The only things i did notice was that the axe thrower's tooltip was 'Axe-throwing troll', and some unbalances. The hero and the forest beast was overpowered, especially the hero. Anyways i did enjoy playing it and it was a well made, and working race. Good job.

Last edited:
Level 35
[RESUBMITTING]
I made the fixes to the Buffs/Tooltips now, should be a MUCH better experience to play now =D

Well, although they would be technically breaking a rule, they are also technically within them. After all, are we not allowed to use the options in which these changes are made? And I do believe that 67Chrome's statement of not changing the other races may have in fact simply meant not to change their units/buildings and such.

Either way, I'm outside of a rule atm myself, so I'm willing to let this fly as I know what it's like to go to all that work to find out that you may yet be disqualified O_O. I just hope 67Chrome is lenient here :p

Attachments

• Racebuilding Contest[Wazzz - Forest Trolls].w3x
    2.3 MB · Views: 205
Level 16
Final Submission
Ghost Army -by Wraithling

Here's my submission for the contest. Well well well, my congratulations again to everyone who have submitted, by the looks of it there are really many pieces of good work here, with a great number of them looking so devilish sexy! :wink:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Official Information
Structure Count - 8
Unit Count - 9
Hero Count - 1
Summoned unit/Ward Count - 2
Upgrade Count - 15
Map Size - 1.15 mb

[Full list of resource credits included in the quest log.]

@Edit: Tweaked the Phantasmal Horrors spell, fixed a trigger and several typos. Re-uploaded map. Thanks to zpider for info on the design flaw, and thanks everybody for the feedback so far <3

Attachments

• GhostArmyFinal02.jpg
    GhostArmyFinal02.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 689
  • GhostArmyFinal03.jpg
    GhostArmyFinal03.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 676
  • GhostArmyFinal01.gif
    GhostArmyFinal01.gif
    192.1 KB · Views: 697
  • GhostArmyFinal04.jpg
    GhostArmyFinal04.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 735
  • GhostArmyFinal05.gif
    GhostArmyFinal05.gif
    136.4 KB · Views: 742
  • GhostArmyFinal06.jpg
    GhostArmyFinal06.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 710
  • GhostArmyFinal07.jpg
    GhostArmyFinal07.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 708
  • Racebuilding Contest - Ghost Army.w3x
    1.2 MB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Wazzz, i havent checked ur race out yet but i will do. and about the interface, since chrome said that we are allowed to change the interface i dont break any rules.
Chilla_Killa, yea i know. That was my first comment when i saw ur first WiP picture. Anyways our choice of units should not be the same :p
Wraithling, nice race u have there. Will download and test it after i have tested Wazzz's race.

Level 35
So THAT'S what you meant by Black and White Ghosts :p

I am already thinking of one great strat with the White Ghosts. Basically, the Mirage is only really good once deployed, right? Wrong! If your White Ghosts are running low on health, you can send a Mirage to the front and have it killed, giving your Ghosts some bonus health =D

Anyway, that's just a basic idea lol, awesum race, can't wait to play it =D

Level 16
@Wazzz: Erm.. lol? That strat sucks donkey balls! :xxd: But seriously, if it is going to be played that way, I might as well rename them The Sacrifice Race.

Anyway, I think I'm going to have a big ball of fun testing everyone's submissions, so, cya all later when I post my mini reviews :)

Level 16
@ VeljkoM: No.. don't say that ): I honestly do not fancy my chances at all, not with the quality entries already on deck, plus those yet to come in. And although on one hand it gives me a huge dose of self-esteem to have my entry looked on with approval, on the other hand I know it could be just anyone's prize. And at the end of the day I predict that as many as half of the entries here have a realistic chance to nail it.

Once again good luck everyone! :)

You guys are exaggerating. Surely each and every submission is great, but hey, stop using all the fancy stuff, e.g. color codes/ custom interface, etc. You were not asked to make a custom Warcraft III, you were not asked to make a custom race, you were asked to make a mini-race. Nagas or Draenei don't have their own interface (I should only speak of Nagas actually, who have their own buildings), neither a race has color codes placed in the tooltips..

Level 35
Woa so many good entries coming around :eek: But two things

Master of Eagles: Please place HIDDEN tags around your pictures - its frustrating to scroll up and down.

My VIP shoot will come in around an hour and a half (Due to me for weird reason sleeping 22 hours :hohum:).

Not really hoping to win anything, more to show my concept idea.

Cya folks soon :thumbs_up:

Btw: I agree with the color codes (Only use the standard Blizzard uses for their tips) and Interface... well if people judge a race from an interface it would kinda spoil it, but hopefully a neat looking interface can't save a bad race (Not that I seen any yet)

Level 13
Final Submission
Troll Race by pippo
Download the Race
Here is my race.
AltarOfBlood
By debode

BearRider
By Cavman

BTNAltarOfBlood
By debode

BTNBigBadVoodoo
By bananaHUNT

BTNCRHeartstrikeTWO
By CRAZYRUSSIAN

BTNCRHOOKaer
By CRAZYRUSSIAN

BTNForestTrolld
By Mr.Goblin

BTNLargeBody
By NFWar

BTNstick2
By oddsocks

BTNTrollEnforcer
By Lord_T

BTNTrollHeal
By Paladon

BTNTrollRavager
By jigrael

BTNUpgradeShield1
By bananaHUNT

BTNUpgradeShield2
By bananaHUNT

BTNUpgradeShield3
By bananaHUNT

BTNXOverkill
By X.e.r.e.X

Cave Troll
By Just_Spectating

ForestTrollShadowcaster
By apaka

Troll Ravager
By jigrael

Troll Enforcer
By Lord_T

Jungle and Ice Troll Raptor Riders
By Lord_T

WCIITrollLumberMill
By Red XIII

pippo's Troll Race screens

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
More images are coming soon!
View attachment 69190

Attachments

• Racebuilding Contest pippo - Troll.w3x
    1.9 MB · Views: 218
  • WC3ScrnShot_110809_191229_06.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110809_191229_06.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 153
  • WC3ScrnShot_110809_191255_07.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110809_191255_07.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 133
  • WC3ScrnShot_110809_191209_05.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110809_191209_05.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 155
  • WC3ScrnShot_110809_190950_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110809_190950_03.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 215
  • WC3ScrnShot_110809_190647_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110809_190647_01.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 152
  • WC3ScrnShot_110809_191337_08.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110809_191337_08.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 122
  • WC3ScrnShot_110809_191426_09.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110809_191426_09.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 153
  • WC3ScrnShot_110809_191618_10.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110809_191618_10.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 129
  • WC3ScrnShot_110809_191709_12.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110809_191709_12.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 162
  • WC3ScrnShot_110809_192053_20.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110809_192053_20.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Okay some of you are a little angry because i use custom interface. But, im not breaking any rules, and everybody in the contest have a chance to download an interface or make one by them selve. Making custom UI forbidden is (in my opinion) the same as saying custom models/icons/skins is forbidden too. Noobs will vote on a custom UI as well as a good looking race with custom models/skins/icons. There isnt any difference. Thats why i dont like that there is 100% poll. Then all the noobs or people that havent even tested the maps, will vote on the best looking race instead of the best race. Anyways i hope we dont have to discuss more about this and get to the topic again. Good luck to everybody, and i will review as much races as i can.

[EDIT] Wazzz, please dont protect ur map.. Wraithling, nice looking race and the abillities is well made. One thing i really dislike is that your tooltips isnt even near how the standard wc3 tooltips looks like. Other than that its a nice race. Good job. Pippo, will download and test.

[EDIT] I have updated my own race. Thanks to Wraithling for testing. Pippo, i did test your race and its quite good visually but when it comes to description and tooltips, it isnt that good. You have made alot typos, especially on the heroes abillities. Anyways i enjoyed playing the race and it seems like you have spend much time on it. Also i think you should change the food cost of the enforcer (trained in the town hall) to 1 as it is quite weak. Anyways good job on your race.

Last edited:
Level 17
Here is my final entry, will post screen shots asap, but the power is dodgy so I am afraid of a black out(Really bad weather). So I just want to add the map before anything happens.

View attachment 69235

--Edit--

For years have the Skeletons been enslaved by the Legion, but not anymore. With the rise of the skeleton, leader of the skeletons, a new dawn has risen, chaos and damnation.

151783-albums1222-picture20018.jpg

151783-albums1222-picture20014.jpg

151783-albums1222-picture20017.jpg

151783-albums1222-picture19895.jpg

151783-albums1222-picture20019.jpg

View attachment [Xiliger]Racebuilding Contest_Final(Skeleton).w3x

Last edited:
I don't have time to make the hero's spells anymore... Is it allowed to use spells downloaded from this site? Otherwise he's going to have some (modified) blizzard spells.

Yes if you give credits. Also, my hero is using 3 blizzard spells, thats not bad to use blizzard spells if you can make them turn out good.

My race isn't as good and balanced as I'd like it to be, but sadly there is no more time to work on it. This is my final submission. If you see anything that's wrong (typos, wrong spell name, etc.) or can think of an addition I can add quickly, please tell me and I may be able to change it.

I broke one of the rules in that I have 4 summoned units. (1 hero's summonable, 1 normal summonable, 1 defensive summonable and 1 ward.) I hope you can allow that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

koboldiconcompilation.png

Ratorg Rider, Kobold Digger and Beast Pit by Callahan
Kobold Stalker by levigeorge1617
Giant Sand Worm by Sephiroth_VII
Oger_Barracks by SantoRayo[iP]
BTNXMeteor by X.e.r.e.X
VolcanoShieldTarget and Low Poly Earth Elemental by DonDustin
Bat by GreyArchon
All other icons, Mining Shaft skin and Mining Mole skins by me.

Attachments

• KoboldTown.png
    KoboldTown.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 988
  • RaceBuildingContestKobolds.w3x
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • KoboldAttack1.png
    KoboldAttack1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 917
  • KoboldTown2.png
    KoboldTown2.png
    942.4 KB · Views: 903